winter coats

mushy no1

Feb 7, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
bo/millie
hi we have two bulldogs of different sizes but we are struggling to find a coat for our male any suggestions where to get one in the UK we have tried about 4 none fit

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
hi we have two bulldogs of different sizes but we are struggling to find a coat for our male any suggestions where to get one in the UK we have tried about 4 none fit

Welcome to the forum! Coats that fit bulldogs are difficult to find here too (I'm in Sweden). If wide enough around the neck, they are much too long. We finally found one a few years ago that has been quite ok although a little tight and a little long. Now Castor has put on weight the last year, so I had to cut it open in a few places as I knew I wouldn't be able to find anything better. Not very elegant but he stays warm.

If you cannot find a good one, my suggestion is to buy an inexpensive coat that fits the neck and then just shorten it a bit as that is easier that fixing the neck line!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... my guy hates them and I canā€™t find one that fits... either too long or not big enough around his chest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

WELCOME!!!

I bring my dogs for fitting. If one donā€™t fit you ask the store to order a size bigger/smaller. Most will do it. Usually UK doesnā€™t have harsh winters. Yes depending what area. But if itā€™s like -10 n under you dont need a coat. Iā€™m in Canada and today I woke up to -35. I donā€™t walk them over -15 ish n up. I met them run in the backyard.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
WELCOME!!!

I bring my dogs for fitting. If one donā€™t fit you ask the store to order a size bigger/smaller. Most will do it. Usually UK doesnā€™t have harsh winters. Yes depending what area. But if itā€™s like -10 n under you dont need a coat. Iā€™m in Canada and today I woke up to -35. I donā€™t walk them over -15 ish n up. I met them run in the backyard.

Minus 35 is cold indeed - is that -35 Centigrade?

Wether a jacket is needed also has to do with what the dogs are used to - Castor thinks it's really cold when it's minus 7 Centigrade and windy (which makes it feel like minus 15) I think your Canadian pups are more used to the cold!

These days with covid going to a shop for a fitting is difficult, and I believe the UK are still in lockdown so no non-essential shops are open.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Minus 35 is cold indeed - is that -35 Centigrade?

Wether a jacket is needed also has to do with what the dogs are used to - Castor thinks it's really cold when it's minus 7 Centigrade and windy (which makes it feel like minus 15) I think your Canadian pups are more used to the cold!

These days with covid going to a shop for a fitting is difficult, and I believe the UK are still in lockdown so no non-essential shops are open.

Yes Celsius Canada like you uses metric. I think itā€™s only in the USA that still uses Fahrenheit. Actually with winds was -40cel.

Yes dogs in Canada are use to our winters. Canā€™t complain this year as it was nice. Just the past week cold. Most of our stores or pet shops are open here so covid or not, you still can shop.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

There is a website called DEEOHGEE in UK that has a few. There are also some on Amazon UK that has a few English Bulldog coats.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
There is a website called DEEOHGEE in UK that has a few. There are also some on Amazon UK that has a few English Bulldog coats.

Thanks for the tips! I really liked the Dogissimo Windsor Coat for Bulldogs, described as "Country Casual": "This high quality waxed cotton jacket is the height of fashion with a soft quilted lining meaning itā€™s warm and practical for those evening country strolls!"

The prices are quite high, though, at 75 GBP.

Will check out Amazon too.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My guys absolutely HATE wearing them, so I give up... impossible to find ones that fit. Kinda like the Halloween costumes!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
castor i snƃĀ¶n feb21.jpg

Castor needed his coat today!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 120410

Castor needed his coat today!

Yes another cold snap today -45cel... Iā€™m thinking of buying a small acreage. I want to have a bigger veggie garden, get a couple cows for meat, chickens etc. With all this BS Great Reset happening in Canada n USA, time to be more self efficient. One of my son bought another acreage as he just sold his house on 40 acres n wants something smaller like 10 acres. And I will buy around him.

All this to say......time to find my 2 mutts heated jackets as they will be outside more often on an acreage. I want them to roam free n enjoy country living. I know Iā€™ve seen heated jackets for bikers so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find something for dogs.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.