What’s your opinion and what do you say about bulldog health issues ?

adadrian

Oct 2, 2020
Brisbane
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena
So as you know I’m a first time bulldog owner, and ever since having one I’m getting a lot of comments of how unhealthy they are, how they can’t breath or cool down and it’s cruel.
I even had one guy say get a levin or olde English never get a British they are too unhealthy.
What do you guys say to this?

And what do you think of all their “health” issues ?

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I know that some bullies have a lot of health issues. My Punk is 11 1/2 and so far has been very healthy. She can get too hot sometimes when she runs around too much - now, not when she was younger. I do not know what to tell you about getting one - it's kinda like a hit or miss situation. If you weather is hot most of the time that is something to consider. Hopefully others will weigh in their opinions and experiences. Either way, English or OEB you will absolutely LOVE your bullie.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Totally agree with [MENTION=5712]Annie1991[/MENTION]. Hit or miss. To stretch a healthy EB is like said, weather, food, especially food like a 100% raw diet n snacks n health background.

A month ish ago I decided to put Nyala n Jake on a diet. They weren’t fat either. Well Nyala needed to lose some, Jake was great but because of his breathing, I rather he be a tad under normal. He lost 6lbs in one month n now 60lb. Mind you that was 2 weeks ago. Didn’t do this weigh in yet..My kids came over on thanksgiving n one brought his 3 dogs. Jake gets anxiety, pants like he’s going to die when he’s in a big get together, but you know, that 6lb less, he’s breathing was much better. So I will bring him down a bit more till he reaches a 10lbs lost. Our winters are harsh n early. They don’t get much exercise so in the the backyard exercises for both. I go out n workout with them. To buy another EB, idk, probably not. Nyala maybe as she’s a bantam bulldogge. A bit longer nose, smaller head n face. Bringing issues, none. Like a normal dog.

OP
adadrian

adadrian

Oct 2, 2020
Brisbane
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena
I know that some bullies have a lot of health issues. My Punk is 11 1/2 and so far has been very healthy. She can get too hot sometimes when she runs around too much - now, not when she was younger. I do not know what to tell you about getting one - it's kinda like a hit or miss situation. If you weather is hot most of the time that is something to consider. Hopefully others will weigh in their opinions and experiences. Either way, English or OEB you will absolutely LOVE your bullie.
I already have a English bulldog, thAts why I’m getting the comments

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have two purebred EBD'S. Six and seven years old. Both have the same parents. As of now, they have never had any real health or breathing problems. Both had entropion/nares surgery as pups which is no big deal. I called and spoke to their owner's veterinarian before getting them, and asked about all their dogs. He gave a good recommendation, and good health reports. It's funny that people who don't know anything always have ALL the answers. Some people don't know what they are buying,or don't investigate anything about the breeder, and will have problems. They do tend to be more needy than other breeds,but opinions from people who offer so much unsolicited advice,are not always experts!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You buy from a backyard breeder and a breeder only breeding to make money, you will probably run into a ton of health issues. You buy from a reputable breeder who does health testing, carefully selects the dam and sire and breeds to better the breed, the less issues you will run into.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I agree with [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]. I don’t have a lot of experience yet. I am also a first time EB owner, but my neighbor has owned some for the past 30 years and says it is all about their healthline and taking the best care of your EB. Always take into consideration the heat as [MENTION=5712]Annie1991[/MENTION] said, and their anatomy. They have short noses and thick bodies for their small legs so remember their weight is important to staying healthy to avoid joint issues, and some heart related issues. In addition like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] mentioned, exercise and weight management can help with their breathing. Raw diet is the best food for them, and I plan on switching Brisket here in a few months to make sure his health stays in tip top shape.
All in all though, sometimes you get a dog that will NEVER get sick or have any issues, and sometimes you may end up with one that ALWAYS does. The best thing you and I can do, is provide the best possible care to minimize the issues that are preventable.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Absolutely agree with all above! A reputable breeder is a MUST! No pet stores, puppy mills or backyard breeders allowed!! We have 3 bullies from the same breeder. Bogey is 8. Some allergy issues ( mild) but othrwise very healthy. My son's vet said he has never seen a bully in better shape than Bogey. Good care. Good food. Good healthline. My Jackson and his brother Ruger (son's dog) are littermates and both healthy with mild allergy issues, but very healthy otherwise. Caring for ropes, tail pockets, and eyes and ears is a daily must. They are a high maintenance dog- and that is what some people refer to as "health issues". They will certainly have them if all of that is not cared for regularly! If someone stops me in a store and inquires about how they are to care for, I blow it up for them. I tell them they need alot of care and a good bank account! That usually stops them in their tracks.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have spent a lot of money on my two EBs. Chumly was a mix or OEB but still had bad allergies. I don't know anything about the parentage of either Monty or Buster as they were re-homed but I knew going in it could be expensive. I don't begrudge one single penny but I may have to rethink when Buster eventually goes to his happy hunting ground. I absolutely love the breed but as we are now retired, future finances may, unfortunately, come into play.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I will tell them, they are right.

EBDs are not optimal health designed dogs - short snout, big chest, narrow hips are disadvantageous to optimal health. But then all breeds have their quirks - a bichon frise's furry ears are disadvantageous and contribute to ear infections. A doberman's hips are disadvantageous and contribute to hip dysplasia, etc. etc.

What we do here is pick an EBD from a reputable breeder and then take the responsibility to care for these dogs with their specific needs. An EBD is not a cheap dog to raise. You can't just get the dog, stick him in your backyard, give him Purina from the grocery store. A lot of hounds can take that kind of casual care... an EBD can't. So, unless you're committed to the special needs of an EBD, this is not the dog for you. (I'm not talking to you adadrian, I'm talking to the people giving you those comments).

P.S. My Bullie lived to be 13 years old - 1 year older than my Doberman who died at 12, and 1 week older than my bichon frise who died 3 weeks after his 13th bday. Angus is now 10 years old with no health issues. But I spare no expense with these dogs. They are Raw fed. As in - I go to the grocery store's meat section and not the pet food section...

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I will tell them, they are right.

EBDs are not optimal health designed dogs - short snout, big chest, narrow hips are disadvantageous to optimal health. But then all breeds have their quirks - a bichon frise's furry ears are disadvantageous and contribute to ear infections. A doberman's hips are disadvantageous and contribute to hip dysplasia, etc. etc.

What we do here is pick an EBD from a reputable breeder and then take the responsibility to care for these dogs with their specific needs. An EBD is not a cheap dog to raise. You can't just get the dog, stick him in your backyard, give him Purina from the grocery store. A lot of hounds can take that kind of casual care... an EBD can't. So, unless you're committed to the special needs of an EBD, this is not the dog for you. (I'm not talking to you adadrian, I'm talking to the people giving you those comments).

P.S. My Bullie lived to be 13 years old - 1 year older than my Doberman who died at 12, and 1 week older than my bichon frise who died 3 weeks after his 13th bday. Angus is now 10 years old with no health issues. But I spare no expense with these dogs. They are Raw fed. As in - I go to the grocery store's meat section and not the pet food section...

I agree, to add to every breed having their disadvantages, right now I’m actually spending more cash on Oreo, my miniature schnauzer because he suffers from food allergies, skin allergies, grooming, and medication. He suffers from idiopathic epilepsy at 5 years old. Right now Brisket is just getting his grooming care (wrinkle care), Fromm grain free, (which Oreo is now eating but he’s allergic to chicken and beef so only eating duck and pork). I buy brisket the puppy bag right now, but will alternate between different proteins to avoid allergies so I buy two different $60 bags every month, and his goat milk as a probiotic (which has helped with wrinkle stains!!!) . On top of that, the monthly flea n tick medication and heartworm prevention. So it just depends. You have to be willing to pony up the cash though. They are babies and depend on us for everything. Good luck! And everyone here is ready to help with any issues you may encounter!

📰 Latest posts

Members online