What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Beefs nose roll is so hard to keep clean, because it's so huge! I feel like I clean it every day and the next morning it's gross again! In the past there's been this funky red colored stuff under there (went to the vet because it had an odor, they said it was yeast and gave me malecetic wipes). That cleared up, but now there's this white/cream almost sticky stuff under the roll (no odor). I have no idea what it is! I just cleaned it so next time I notice it I'll snap a picture. Anyone else notice this under their bully's nose roll?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
White/yellow goo.... could be a start of an infection. If the rope is that big/tight, you may have to clean it daily with the malecetic wipes or witch hazel on a cotton pad.... need to keep it dry

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate's nose rope is fairly deep so there's always a small collection of "gunk" in there. I'm constantly cleaning it, it's mostly these dry "particles" that I find. Finn on the other hand doesn't really have a nose rope so no problem with him. It's definitely important to keep the area dry like Christine mentioned; a wet nose rope is an environment for yeast and bacteria to grow in.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I use water and vinegar solution for Bifi's fold then dry it and put a cream (Sudocrem) for babys' bottoms when they get red and sore. It helps soothes the soreness and keeps the fold dry. It heals after 3 days if the soreness is bad.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor's got a really big noserope too! I clean it every 2-3 days with chlorehexedine on a cotton pad. These days it looks sort of ok but now and then the skin gets red and irritated from one day to the next, it seems. Then I apply zinc oxide baby rash cream, and like [MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] says, the redness disappears within a few days. The ointment is difficult to apply without getting it all over his nose, however, so I dip a cotton swab into the zinc oxide cream and then apply under the nose roll.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I really suggest a Mini Schnauzer. Ours has been keeping Fritthhys face clean every day since we got her. Or a lab, the breeder had a lab nicknamed 'uncle' because he cared for and cleaned all the little puppies. More seriously though, consider feeding coconut oil to help fight yeast from the inside. It boosts immune system and helps to prevent the yeast from starting.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I use water and vinegar solution for Bifi's fold then dry it and put a cream (Sudocrem) for babys' bottoms when they get red and sore. It helps soothes the soreness and keeps the fold dry. It heals after 3 days if the soreness is bad.

Guten Abendt [MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] You know the water an vinegar solution I have not used. Much like [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] 's gang, Jewel has a deep nose rope whereas Bentley does not and as far as the backend goes Bentley has a tail pocket and Jewel's was removed when her tail was amputated. We use Vetericyn on the noses and backends and Malacetic wipes when there is increase in activity (i.e. yeast). I think we will give the vinegar/water solution a try. What ratio do you use? Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.

Oh dear - thanks for pointing this out. It's difficult to dry out the deep nose pocket so zinc oxid has been good, but when Castor wakes up I'll make sure to tell him it's toxic.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Guten Abendt @dieMuttivonBifi You know the water an vinegar solution I have not used. Much like @cali baker 's gang, Jewel has a deep nose rope whereas Bentley does not and as far as the backend goes Bentley has a tail pocket and Jewel's was removed when her tail was amputated. We use Vetericyn on the noses and backends and Malacetic wipes when there is increase in activity (i.e. yeast). I think we will give the vinegar/water solution a try. What ratio do you use? Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.

Tag Roger! Thanks for the warning! I immediately read the ingredients and you're right, zinc is right up there. Stopped using it since i read ur post. As for the ratio, i just estimate it: about 10-15% vinegar. I love using water and vinegar solution as it's natural and inexpensive. I don't have to worry about side effects. I also use it to clean Bifi's face everynight and butt whenever he has soft output. Goodluck and i hope it works well for you, Bentley and Jewel ;p.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Tag Roger! Thanks for the warning! I immediately read the ingredients and you're right, zinc is right up there. Stopped using it since i read ur post. As for the ratio, i just estimate it: about 10-15% vinegar. I love using water and vinegar solution as it's natural and inexpensive. I don't have to worry about side effects. I also use it to clean Bifi's face everynight and butt whenever he has soft output. Goodluck and i hope it works well for you, Bentley and Jewel ;p.

Just checking - do you use water&vinegar for the fold under the nose rope/roll? Doesn't that hurt (and smell? What does Bifi say)? What kind of vinegar?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] i use it for everything that needs to be thoroughly cleaned in his body like face folds, nose rope, his behind and paws. I also use it to disinfect bug bites like tick bites. Nah it doesn't hurt. It's very safe and natural. People are always praising ACV but there's nothing ACV can do that an ordinary normal vinegar can't. And ACV has sugar in it. I just take the normal one with high acidity. Costs about 85cents. Lasts for a couple of months. As for the smell, when it dries the smell is gone too. But when Bifi gets wet then he smells soury. But i love that smell on him hahaha i know i'm weird lol.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] Thanks! Will try that!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online