What do I do about my lawn?

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
So the snow finally melted here in Minnesota and this was the surprise I had waiting for me. Last fall it was lush and green.
This may be a dumb question but I thought only female urine killed grass?
Any ideas of what to do?
Thanks for any help.
IMG_20130503_112530_340 (3).jpg

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I have a male and he for sure kills the grass :) makes my lawn look horrible...although since being on this site...i read that putting acv in his water will help with that, i have been doing this and much to my happiness it WORKS :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Our lawn also had the same fate over the winter from the snow, and also from us walking on it when it was wet from the snow, and from letting them pee on the lawn. My hubby just bought some grass seed and will be placing some fertilizer and the grass seed and then keep the dogs off the lawn to let it grow back. Now that the weather is nice, we walk them further and off the lawn. I also give my guys Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is supposed to balance the Ph levels in their bodies, so it eliminates the yellow staining on the lawn.

OP
Walter323

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thank you for the help! I quick ran to the grocery store on my lunch break to get some acv, any suggestion as to a brand? I had saw something on another thread about tear stains about avoiding certain brands and that some worked better than others.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I recommend getting Bragg organic, raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. It has the mother in it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
what to do?........ remove the grass and put in mulch and flower beds was our solution.... we no longer own a mower!! YAY!!! ;)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We live in Calfornia, so not the same weather going on! We have St Augustine grass, which is very, very tough. It does get brown spots..but not nearly like other sod. The cool thing is you can dig out the dead..plant a couple of plugs and it spreads and is full and healthy in a month or so.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Our lawn also had the same fate over the winter from the snow, and also from us walking on it when it was wet from the snow, and from letting them pee on the lawn. My hubby just bought some grass seed and will be placing some fertilizer and the grass seed and then keep the dogs off the lawn to let it grow back. Now that the weather is nice, we walk them further and off the lawn. I also give my guys Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, it is supposed to balance the Ph levels in their bodies, so it eliminates the yellow staining on the lawn.

Be REALLY careful with fertilizer or anything like that around your bullies, there are tons of chemicals in that stuff. We found a pet friendly organic fertilizer that I put down in the early spring and it has worked wonders so far.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We found a pet friendly organic fertilizer that I put down in the early spring and it has worked wonders so far.

^^^^^ what is it Pete, i need pet frendly lawn stuff? Cheli and Banks both think they are cows

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I got if from gardensalive dot com, it's called wow supreme pre-emergent weed control and lawn fertilizer

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the reminder, had a brain burp, or something. I always try and watch other people's lawns or areas where there are signs on the lawn that they have been chemically treated, so I don't know why I wouldn't have thought about that for our lawn. What product brand do you use? We haven't spread the lawn seed yet, but will probably do it this weekend. Again thanks for the reminder.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
From what I have read on the subject to water as soon as possible to the pee site is the best remedy. It's the nitrogen in the pee that kills it because it becomes an overdose. Nitrogen is in fertilizers too so fertilizer on pee will compound the problem. I know where my dogs pee if its just once or so in a spot that area will be lush and very green but when they pee repeatedly in or near the same spot it will kill the grass if its not watered. We are getting quite a bit of rain at this time so its not much of a problem now

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
A friend who is a holistic vet cautioned me about ACV in water because of possible urine crystals. I have been reluctant to try it. Anyone have that problem?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A friend who is a holistic vet cautioned me about ACV in water because of possible urine crystals. I have been reluctant to try it. Anyone have that problem?

I have never heard of that. But I just put some in the food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online