Wesley’s acting like “ jekyll and hyde” !!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Just hoping the experienced bully owners on here may have any more suggestions to help with Wesley who at the moment (7.5 months old) can be a complete and utter s##t!! :censored::cursing:

He goes from being a sweet playfull bulldog to an absolute pain in the :censored:, jumping trying to bite clothing, hands and feet!

This is not his “puppy shark” phase we went through that already

I know he’s probably testing the boundaries but we are struggling to get him to listen to anything!

The usual loud firm “no” has no effect at all and at the moment we are having to use an “aerosol” can which just blows air but its enough to make him stop what he’s doing for a while and also he’s having “time outs” in the hallway.

Its been bad enough recently to bring my wife to tears.

This is not all the time by any means its perhaps once a day but it’s upsetting when it happens.

We know all bullys are different and we did not experience this any where near as bad with our previous bully which is making it harder to cope with.

This may seem harsh but at the moment we love Wesley to bits but at times its hard to like him!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He is definitely testing his boundaries. Look up Nothing in Life is Free training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
He is definitely testing his boundaries. Look up Nothing in Life is Free training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for the suggestion but we are already employing that, it doesn’t stop him from suddenly out of the blue turning into a complete knightmare!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That’s the age as you already know they don’t give a rats *** if they see they can get away with things.He needs to burn more energy than your previous one. As you recall I had Duke, he was like Wesley but all day unless he was sleeping which he was sleeping with an eye open n ready to go. Why I would walk him daily 5km. I started him young on walks as I saw I was going to get a handful. Even that 5km, he still had that energy but it did bring him down a few notches. In winter I walked less cause our winters are harsh here. Trust me, Duke was more of a handful in winter. Why it’s important to burn their energy out.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
That’s the age as you already know they don’t give a rats *** if they see they can get away with things.He needs to burn more energy than your previous one. As you recall I had Duke, he was like Wesley but all day unless he was sleeping which he was sleeping with an eye open n ready to go. Why I would walk him daily 5km. I started him young on walks as I saw I was going to get a handful. Even that 5km, he still had that energy but it did bring him down a few notches. In winter I walked less cause our winters are harsh here. Trust me, Duke was more of a handful in winter. Why it’s important to burn their energy out.

We do think he needs more exercise than our previous bulldog and he is getting it but it seems after he has had a big walk he comes in and that is some sort of trigger to go mad!

Starts as a zoomie but turns into biting! Maybe he needs even more exercise!

Thanks for the suggestions

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep…. Teenage rebellious stage! Exercise get the energy released and stay firm on nothing in life is free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We do think he needs more exercise than our previous bulldog and he is getting it but it seems after he has had a big walk he comes in and that is some sort of trigger to go mad!

Starts as a zoomie but turns into biting! Maybe he needs even more exercise!

Thanks for the suggestions

How far you walk him or what’s his exercise routine? If you have a fenced yard leave him there with solid toys, marrow bones til he calms down. Definitely you need to stay on this one. Won’t last, just a few more yrs :p

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
How far you walk him or what’s his exercise routine? If you have a fenced yard leave him there with solid toys, marrow bones til he calms down. Definitely you need to stay on this one. Won’t last, just a few more yrs :p

:w00t: :no::D. Think we were lucky with our first boy!

Hes going out twice a day at the moment (more at the weekend) for approx 40 mins each time.

We do have a secure back garden but there’s no way we can leave him out there at the moment because hes still trying to chew/eat anything he can including the poison ivy that grows within our hedge :no::w00t:

This weekend he did have the longest walk so far and was out around 1hr 50 mins and then slept all day Sunday!

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear is going through something similar!! Whenever me and him are on the same level, (floor, bed, couch) he thinks it's go time and will relentlessly attack my hands and arms until I have to yell at him to stop, it's so bad he even tries to go at my face :( so we don't really let him on the furniture and thankfully he's too small to get on it himself but I'm assuming we just kinda have to ride it out and wait till they mellow out some more, but hopefully it makes you feel better that you aren't alone and I too have cried about it as well!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:w00t: :no::D. Think we were lucky with our first boy!

Hes going out twice a day at the moment (more at the weekend) for approx 40 mins each time.

We do have a secure back garden but there’s no way we can leave him out there at the moment because hes still trying to chew/eat anything he can including the poison ivy that grows within our hedge :no::w00t:

This weekend he did have the longest walk so far and was out around 1hr 50 mins and then slept all day Sunday!

How like in km as 40 mins can be like stopping often, smelling the flowers etc lol. What you did on the weekend he probably didn’t stop much? When I walk my 2 there is no stopping n it’s on a faster pace. No smelling the flower thingy n they walk on the street side. It’s like boot camp walk :yes:

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
How like in km as 40 mins can be like stopping often, smelling the flowers etc lol. What you did on the weekend he probably didn’t stop much? When I walk my 2 there is no stopping n it’s on a faster pace. No smelling the flower thingy n they walk on the street side. It’s like boot camp walk :yes:

It was cloudy but warm at the weekend so it was a very steady walk along the canal with water breaks along the way distance is probably about 5k

His morning walk is in the park where he “plays” which usually means hes getting told off by smaller dogs for being too “bully”
:D but he does get more exercise that way, he loves dogs!

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear is going through something similar!! Whenever me and him are on the same level, (floor, bed, couch) he thinks it's go time and will relentlessly attack my hands and arms until I have to yell at him to stop, it's so bad he even tries to go at my face :( so we don't really let him on the furniture and thankfully he's too small to get on it himself but I'm assuming we just kinda have to ride it out and wait till they mellow out some more, but hopefully it makes you feel better that you aren't alone and I too have cried about it as well!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I think that maybe we just conveniently “forget” all the times our previous bully Dudley was a complete :censored: and only remember the good!
Hang in there I’m sure these little terrors will calm down :pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It was cloudy but warm at the weekend so it was a very steady walk along the canal with water breaks along the way distance is probably about 5k

His morning walk is in the park where he “plays” which usually means hes getting told off by smaller dogs for being too “bully”
:D but he does get more exercise that way, he loves dogs!

Cool…we’ll you know n saw what works, push him a bit more. Gradually of course. Don’t give up my dear friend you got this!

Pikola

Oct 16, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charly
Just hoping the experienced bully owners on here may have any more suggestions to help with Wesley who at the moment (7.5 months old) can be a complete and utter s##t!! :censored::cursing:

He goes from being a sweet playfull bulldog to an absolute pain in the :censored:, jumping trying to bite clothing, hands and feet!

This is not his “puppy shark” phase we went through that already

I know he’s probably testing the boundaries but we are struggling to get him to listen to anything!

The usual loud firm “no” has no effect at all and at the moment we are having to use an “aerosol” can which just blows air but its enough to make him stop what he’s doing for a while and also he’s having “time outs” in the hallway.

Its been bad enough recently to bring my wife to tears.

This is not all the time by any means its perhaps once a day but it’s upsetting when it happens.

We know all bullys are different and we did not experience this any where near as bad with our previous bully which is making it harder to cope with.

This may seem harsh but at the moment we love Wesley to bits but at times its hard to like him!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Hello, although not normal behavior for a bully. We went through the same agony with our Charlie. As a pup he was a little shark! Constantly trying to bite our feet and always need EDI g 110% of your attention! My wife was ready to jump through a window, tears and many sleepless nights. I missed many days of work! My Brother is a vet and we had the very best guidance from him, however after trying everything with little to no results he recommended a vibration collar, NOT a shock collar but a vibration one. At 7.5 months he is ready for one. It worked miracles!!! He reacted immediately, as soon as his gremlin eyes were lighting up I gave him a fairly soft vibration and he skirted right to his crate!! Wow! Then the running off the property training! Vibrate when he is charging and he stops dead and lies down. Charlie is 5 years old and much slower these days but still has his moments. We no longer use the collar however he never goes off the property! He walks off leash and listens and when he gets his zoomy moments like a 2yr old kid I show him the controller or work with him to give him a bone or one of his toys. We LOVE Charlie and he is our suck but he behaves now. Not perfect but definitely tolerable and we are enjoying his clown character.
Hope that helps. If you get a vibrate collar get a good one they are around 350.00 for a good one. You can get them at the outdoor shops used for training hunting dogs. Well worth the investment for your sanity, relaxation shop and most of all your Bully!

cheers

dave

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
As @Pikola mentioned them collars do work. Many years ago I bought a collar that also vibrates on the lowest setting & if you go to the highest settings it sends a quick flick shock. I bought it for my German Shepherd. The brand is Dogtra. You pay a lot but these collars are made especially for dogs that hunts ducks. Hunters uses them to teach their hunting dogs when to fetch n drop. These are not collars to toy around with or leave it in children’s hands. You can also find a good dog trainer.

Members online

No members online now.