Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Hey all!

So recently I noticed Mister O doing the boot scoot, and checked his little stubtail to see what was going on down there. At first I hadn't thought he had much of a tail pocket, but after closer inspection there is a small pocket UNDER the tail. Obviously since I didnt know it was there it hadn't been cleaned and he was all itchy!! So I cleaned it out and put him in the bath to soothe the area, and he seems fine now.

My question is, it's rather a tight space in there. What's the best way to clean the area so we don't run into problems down the road? Granted, hes only 15 weeks, so as he grows this may all change and this post will be totally moot, but in the meantime... I've been using the Malacetic wipes to get in there and dig around (with the added bonus of his butt smelling like apricots rather than, well, butt...). Will that be sufficient? He also has a bath once or twice a week where I clean it.

Will malacetic and diligence be enough, or is there some trick you guys can share?

The bully butt in question:
20170702_173829.jpg

Last edited:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, I can see from your tail shape you have a tail pocket! Btw, cute corkscrew tail:D my Tank has a deep pocket, on the side and under his tail, actually all area "from 12 to six o'clock" is a deep tail pocket I can put 4 fingers in:w00t:
the most important is to keep it dry, wipe it dry after every bath with paper towel several times, get rid of dead hair that collect there.
I think, Malacetic wipes are good thing. I use Columbia antiseptic powder, as it is hot and humid now and a week ago my little piglet developed redness there. This powder contains zinc oxide and phenol, it keeps skin dry and phenol is the oldest antiseptic used in medicine, quite safe. When his tail pocket became very red, I wiped it with witch hazel, let it work a bit, dry it with paper towel and after 30 minutes applied some Neosporin ointment ( amazing thing, available in any Walmart). Redness went away in 2-3 days. After inflammation was gone, I just use every day a bit of Columbia antiseptic powder.
I am sure, other bullie bootie cleaners will give you lots of good advice :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
LOVE me some adorable bully butt!

I used witch hazel on a cotton pad... it is natural drying agent so no need to worry about it staying wet. After bath, make sure you dry under there.
Lambeau had to has his tail removed... it was growing back in and the pocket was deep and tight

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Check out this thread: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/54267-tail-pocket.html

I put this info in that thread:
If pocket is ever really sore then put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey all!
So recently I noticed Mister O doing the boot scoot, and checked his little stubtail to see what was going on down there. At first I hadn't thought he had much of a tail pocket, but after closer inspection there is a small pocket UNDER the tail. Obviously since I didnt know it was there it hadn't been cleaned and he was all itchy!! So I cleaned it out and put him in the bath to soothe the area, and he seems fine now.
My question is, it's rather a tight space in there. What's the best way to clean the area so we don't run into problems down the road? Granted, hes only 15 weeks, so as he grows this may all change and this post will be totally moot, but in the meantime... I've been using the Malacetic wipes to get in there and dig around (with the added bonus of his butt smelling like apricots rather than, well, butt...). Will that be sufficient? He also has a bath once or twice a week where I clean it.

Will malacetic and diligence be enough, or is there some trick you guys can share?

The bully butt in question:
View attachment 107016

Here what was said in another post I typed up....btw I personally do not use witch hazel as it stings and Nyala yelped all the way to her bed. No need to use with the recipe below.

Nyala also has a*tail*pocket*issue and will always have it unless I get it amputated which is OUT of the question. Ive been doing this mixture for months an it works!!! I clean it every 2 days. I even programmed it on my cell. When I clean her*tail*I also wipe all her back side to finish. Been doing this for months. So here's the recipe. Also great for ear infection, rashes and more!*Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears .In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae FractionatedCoconut Oil*the clear one, fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.Again recipe says for ear but just as good for her*tail*pocket! ! Maintenance is the key word with these dogs as you know. Have a look at this link below for maintenance.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.