Weight loss after switching to wet food?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
we have had to switch Dudleys food from dry kibble to tinned meat due to his recent kidney stone operation, that was around 3 months ago and since the swop he has lost around 4kg.

Having checked the ingredients of both, the meat has a third less calories than his equivalent kibble. He has always been food driven but since the swop he has been food crazy! As if he is constantly hungry!

I have checked with two vets and both have said itā€™s probably down to the food swap and basically just give him some more.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? And if so what did you do?

Thanks
Simon.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My Tank eats home cooked food. It is meat (turkey or beef), quinoa and pumpkin or green peas. He gets 650 gram of food for breakfast and 650 gram for dinner. 1300 gram a day in total, which is quite a lot. 5 percent of his body weight. His weight is stable and he is very active.
And definitely wet food is much less calorie dense than kibble. So the answer is yes, you have to increase amount of food he gets.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... increase his intake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies, we have started to give him more and wish there was more food options we could give him but itā€™s very hard because of his food intolerances.

Can I ask how much Tank weighs? Duds was 32kg now heā€™s 28kg and is currently getting two 600gm tins of meat a day.

Thanks again.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sure! Tank weighs 24 kg, his height in shoulders is 40 cm and his total length is 63 cm from butt to nose. I think for Sir Dudley size you can definitely increase his food allowance unless you want him to lose weight. I would say you could 100% go to 3 cans 600 gr a day, and possibly even 4. Just monitor his weight unless you satisfied with its dynamics whether you want it to rise a bit or be stable at 28 kg. And give Sir Dudley a big hug and kiss from me and Tank! He is such a handsome mug! Perfect proportions, perfect face!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
we have had to switch Dudleys food from dry kibble to tinned meat due to his recent kidney stone operation, that was around 3 months ago and since the swop he has lost around 4kg.

Having checked the ingredients of both, the meat has a third less calories than his equivalent kibble. He has always been food driven but since the swop he has been food crazy! As if he is constantly hungry!

I have checked with two vets and both have said itā€™s probably down to the food swap and basically just give him some more.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? And if so what did you do?

Thanks
Simon.

Can you take a photo of the ingredients n the Nutrition Fact of the tin can n post it?

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley has always been a big Bully (hes asleep now but will try and get his measurements when he wakes up :)) but he has never been fat or overweight and his weight has stayed constant for the last couple of years at 32kg. We wouldnt mind if he was a couple of kg lighter to help with his CCL recovery but 4kg just seems a little too much to lose for his size and hes looking slightly too thin.

We will definately up his food again though going by what you have said (may have to sell a kidney to pay for his monthly food bill now though :eek::D)

Heres his current tinned meat.

food.jpg

I will give him a hug from you and Tank, when he wakes up! :D

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Just managed to measure him and heā€™s 54cm to his shoulder and 72cm nose to butt :D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mr D. lost like 8.5lbs since on them cans and his weight is 61lbs which I think can be normal because itā€™s raw food. Dogs on raw food tends to stay slimmer than a dog on kibbles and even cooked meals. He might just be adjusting to his new meals. 61lbs (28kg) is a very good weight. I personally rather have my dogs on the slimmer side than chunky. If heā€™s playful, walks, drinks, eats normally, I wouldnā€™t change anything just yet and simply monitor him a bit longer. Heā€™s eating 1200g per day which is enough for 61 lb as 454g = 1lb and a dog that weighs 50lbs should eat 1lb per day of raw. Thatā€™s what my 2 eats as both are between 46-50lbs (depends on months). Plus they get raw veggies, fruits, fish daily and/or throughout the week. Just bare in mind raw is not like feeding kibbles. They will go leaner.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Just managed to measure him and heā€™s 54cm to his shoulder and 72cm nose to butt :D

Geez, he is a big boy! Gorgeous bully! He is absolutely perfect and not fat, thatā€™s for sure.
I totally agree with you, buying canned food is quite pricey, may be you should consider home cooking? It is a bit of pain in the ***, but not impossible. I cook once a week in a 16 litre huge pot, it takes me less than 1 hour. I use 3-4 kg of beef, 3-4 cups of rice and 0,5 kg of shredded pumpkin or green peas. Before he was on turkey plus quinoa plus pumpkin and green peas. Veggies you can buy frozen. It will take you 20 min to cut beef in cubes, then you load meat, rice and veggies and add water, bring it to boil and let boil for 20 min. The only thing you have to do is to mix from time to time, so it wonā€™t burn to bottom. May be you can even find a butcher who will sell you pre-cut meat, just make sure it is not too fat, but for the rest it doesnā€™t need to be tenderloin quality, any cut will do the job. Then you just throw it in the pot.
You will be surprised how in fact simple it is. For emergencies you will still have a stash of canned food when you donā€™t have time to cook, but you can save a lot if you cook from time to time. And believe me, you will notice that his allergy will get better, because if you look at the list of ingredients in food, itā€™s quite long. They also add vitamins which sometimes can cause allergy on its own. And when you cook, you know that there are just 4 ingredients in his meal.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
We would love to give him more home cooked food but his intolerences make it very hard! his main ones are, Beef, Chicken, Lamb and we dont have a freezer so cant store any other than the fridge.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr D. lost like 8.5lbs since on them cans and his weight is 61lbs which I think can be normal because itā€™s raw food. Dogs on raw food tends to stay slimmer than a dog on kibbles and even cooked meals. He might just be adjusting to his new meals. 61lbs (28kg) is a very good weight. I personally rather have my dogs on the slimmer side than chunky. If heā€™s playful, walks, drinks, eats normally, I wouldnā€™t change anything just yet and simply monitor him a bit longer. Heā€™s eating 1200g per day which is enough for 61 lb as 454g = 1lb and a dog that weighs 50lbs should eat 1lb per day of raw. Thatā€™s what my 2 eats as both are between 46-50lbs (depends on months). Plus they get raw veggies, fruits, fish daily and/or throughout the week. Just bare in mind raw is not like feeding kibbles. They will go leaner.

We would like to keep him slightly leaner but for his size 28kg just seems a little too low 30kg would be ideal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We would love to give him more home cooked food but his intolerences make it very hard! his main ones are, Beef, Chicken, Lamb and we dont have a freezer so cant store any other than the fridge.

Lambeau and Cheli have same intolerance.... duck and tuna is what they do best on. Do you have a dehydrated raw option in U.K.? The Honest Kitchen or Spot Farms are two US examples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I donā€™t have freezer, since that huge pot is cooked and cooled down, I put it into fridge and it stays perfectly well for 7-8 days! No need to freeze it. When itā€™s meal time I just weigh 650 gram, put it for 30-45 sec into microwave and food is ready!

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks again for the info everyone we are going to try him with some different food, as soon as we find some :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online