oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
he may also just end up being a suckler.... many bullies do this when tired or need to sooth themselves.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] ... Wally is, isn’t he?
MINI sure was...when we first got her and before I designed and built the Bailey Chair, Sandy would hold her upright(like she does now) and she'd suck on Sandy's arm after every meal. The teeth marks were deep but MINI never broke the skin. Sandy didn't care though.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
This is VERY important!!! All puppies(especially Stubborn breeds like Bulldogs) need those last 2 weeks(7&8) to hone their socialization skills or for Mom to hone those skills for them. Without Mom to curb their chewing & biting and other undesirable tendencies they will likely get out of hand. As sorry as you feel for this little one I'm betting that it will take some tough love to keep Brisket in line. Best to do it now than to have to deal with it later. Take what you've learned here and put it to work. You have just graduated Bulldog Alpha-School and now you need to put your learnin's to work. Continuing Ed is always available here!
DO NOT BE A SOFTIE!
Do not allow Brisket free run of the home...yet. Make him earn it.
Do not allow Brisket to chew anyone's (especially yours) shoes, pants, legs, hands, arms, ankles, or feet! Yell at him when he does it and replace what he's chewing with a chew toy. Repeat, repeat, repeat! If he does not comply, kennel him(Time Out!). Don't let the whining and crying get to you. You are teaching him to behave. He's not supposed to like it.
Please keep us posted on his behavior...we'd love to be part of grooming him into the best Bulldog ever.
Ideally, none of what I have said will matter at all and Brisket will act absolutely perfect from this day forward.
Nah, that little stinker is going to take over your home without your guidance and "tough love".

Thanks for the advice!! I have actually been working on that. He’s potty training right now and for the first week he was confined to a small area in our bedroom. He then graduated to the whole room, room and restroom, then room restroom and closet, etc. right now he’s allowed to be in our bedroom the kitchen and the living room. He does get time out in the crate. I’m working on the biting. It’s hard! He is doing a little better but still getting a little feisty when I tell him no and give him his toy instead. He lunges back and then gets put in the crate after the third time. He’s only 9 weeks, should I loosen up? Or is now the best time to push forward and stand firm? I also let him out of the crate once his whining stops. Usually about 5 minutes. Is that enough?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice!! I have actually been working on that. He’s potty training right now and for the first week he was confined to a small area in our bedroom. He then graduated to the whole room, room and restroom, then room restroom and closet, etc. right now he’s allowed to be in our bedroom the kitchen and the living room. He does get time out in the crate. I’m working on the biting. It’s hard! He is doing a little better but still getting a little feisty when I tell him no and give him his toy instead. He lunges back and then gets put in the crate after the third time. He’s only 9 weeks, should I loosen up? Or is now the best time to push forward and stand firm? I also let him out of the crate once his whining stops. Usually about 5 minutes. Is that enough?

Stay firm.. you’re on the right track and get all family on same page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
He’s only 9 weeks, should I loosen up? Not a bit...his Momma wouldn't, and neither should you.
I also let him out of the crate once his whining stops. Usually about 5 minutes. Is that enough? I'd double that time for every infraction throughout the day.
first offence...1X
second offence...2X
3rd offence...4X

Good Luck!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ahh... the baby weeks...

Having adopted my last 2 dogs, I haven't had to do this in over a decade. I kinda miss it. I say enjoy this time with the puppy. It's great to see how the puppy gets molded into how you like him to behave. It's very satisfying even with the hard work.

I have 2 very late teens and I always told them - before you have kids, raise a dog from puppyhood first. If after 2 years everybody loves having your dog around, you're ready for a human baby. :D

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I love that!! Lol that’s a good way to scare kids into realizing they may not be ready for a baby!

Puppies are a lot of work! Sleepless nights much like an infant. I haven’t been waking up 2 times a night since I had a 4 month old 4 years ago!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.