Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Shirley has vomited a small amount of what looks like undigested supper twice this week. It happened both times between 3-5am (yeah I hardly sleep). She's not lethargic nor showing any signs of not feeling well, no temp, eyes clear, no runny nose etc. I feed her bfast at 6:30am and supper at 6:30pm. She's eating and drinking normally. She gets nothing but her kibble and grandma Lucy's baked treats during training sessions and only 4 cookie treats given per day. Her bowls are washed every other day or every day depending on how much she slobbers. Her bowls are stainless steel. I'm very scared about hyperthyroidism as I lost my cat to that November 28, 2020 after over 16 years by my side and I am still heartbroken over it. His vomit was foamy and clear liquid and rarely had any food substance to it. There has been no changes in Shirley's diet or routine. Is this something I need to get her to the vet over or something I just need to watch and is there something I can do for her to remedy the vomiting at home?

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some help. Gilbert's issue was the other end. Hope Shirley feels better soon!

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some help. Gilbert's issue was the other end. Hope Shirley feels better soon!

Weird thing is, she's showing absolutely no signs of not feeling good. She's being her normal self. But so did my baby boy in the beginning with the hyperthyroidism. In my research bulldogs can get it too and I really don't think I could handle going through it all over again especially so soon after losing him to it. He did start drinking essesively which Shirley is not.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could give her a generic for heartburn/upset stomach-either famitodine, or omeprazole. and see if it helps. My older dog sometimes gets upset tummy, and that works for her.

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Weird thing is, she's showing absolutely no signs of not feeling good. She's being her normal self. But so did my baby boy in the beginning with the hyperthyroidism. In my research bulldogs can get it too and I really don't think I could handle going through it all over again especially so soon after losing him to it. He did start drinking essesively which Shirley is not.

Gilbert has been acting pretty much himself as well. And i completely understand not wanting to go thru any of that again. We lost our 2 yr old Husky many years ago to heart/kidney issues and wouldn't want to go thru that again. Probably why it has taken my husband so long to agree to another dog. Probably why I feel like I am such a 'helicopter ' mom when comes to Gilbert. I need to relax..lol

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
You could give her a generic for heartburn/upset stomach-either famitodine, or omeprazole. and see if it helps. My older dog sometimes gets upset tummy, and that works for her.

If this continues ill will drive to town and pick some up. Thank you for the recommendation:0)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Gilbert has been acting pretty much himself as well. And i completely understand not wanting to go thru any of that again. We lost our 2 yr old Husky many years ago to heart/kidney issues and wouldn't want to go thru that again. Probably why it has taken my husband so long to agree to another dog. Probably why I feel like I am such a 'helicopter ' mom when comes to Gilbert. I need to relax..lol

Nothing wrong with being a helicopter mom in my opinion, but yes, also relax :0)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since it is a small amount... I’d do as Lynn suggested with the anti acid and keep a close eye on behavior changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I think I found the issue, she had been messing with a marrow bone the rescue sent with her. I tossed it and no vomit since.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I think I found the issue, she had been messing with a marrow bone the rescue sent with her. I tossed it and no vomit since.

Odd from a marrow bone. Is this bone raw? If so sometimes people give a bone too long n the dog can’t reach the middle. After weeks it will smell. Why I always suggest cut to size of dog. Example my 2 their bone is between 4-5”.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Odd from a marrow bone. Is this bone raw? If so sometimes people give a bone too long n the dog can’t reach the middle. After weeks it will smell. Why I always suggest cut to size of dog. Example my 2 their bone is between 4-5”.

I do not believe it was raw. Looked like the ones you get at a pet store, don't think it was even real bone. It was about 3" long and had already been hollowed out when I adopted Shirley so it was just the bone part that came with her. Something to chew on, something familiar to her, so I kept it around. She hadn't messed with it at all since I brought her home till right before the vomiting had started. By eliminating everything else by thought that could have caused the vomiting, that bone had to be it. There was absolutely nothing new introduced and absolutely no changes within house or routine, the only thing that was different was she had started messing with that bone. Bone removed and trashed, no more vomiting.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The pet shop bones are baked and are brittle, so it's easy for pieces to break off. If you can get raw bones,(fat ones) that would be the ones. I don't give mine bones, but they get split moose or elk antlers(half antler)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I'm not much on giving dogs bones unless they're real bone. That one came with her from the rescue. I got kongs for her, one I fill with a spoon of coconut oil, the other I fill with spoon of peanut butter and I only give her one or the other once a week. I got her a bobsalot that I borrow rations of her kibble from bfast and supper to fill that with. She has a ton of rope toys and some stuffed animal squeakies but she loves them darn rubber Mr oink pig toys the best. I think they're the same size as newborn or week old puppies (I've never seen a EBD puppy at any age in person, so I'm guessing on toy vs puppy size)she mothers them Mr oink toys!

Most Reactions