Vet Behavior

Eas98422

Jul 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Does anyone else's bulldog turn into a Dr Jeckel/Mr Hyde dog while at the vet? I have to get Winnie sedated each time he goes to the vet to get his nails clipped and ground (he hates his paws touched), and to get his ears and skin checked. Winnie has the ear infection from heck and allergies/bacterial/yeasty skin problems that require regular vet attention. He's currently on antibiotics, medicated shampoo twice a week, steroid antihistamines, and diflucan.

I got Winnie as a rescue so who knows what happened before I adopted my boy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 142

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Winnie is soo cute! Unfortunately I think some dogs associate the Vet with bad memories and the sounds and smells dont help and I cant blame them for being upset. I know I hate going to the doctors. After a vet visit I give them a treat as we leave and then take them to pet store for a new toy. I try to associate the vet visit with something fun.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki loves his vet but I bring him when there is no one or not very many people scheduled to reduce some of the stress he gets three treats at the vets one when we come in, one during and one as we leave. I would try and play with Winnie's paws more teach her shake and high fives might help some too. Another idea is see if it would be ok if you guys just visited every once in a while when she doesn't have an appointment so that she can get more used to the smells and sounds and just being there in general. Hopefully it get easier for Ms.Winnie. :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea loves going to the vet as she knows she will get to see other bullies when she gets there. They trim her nails every time she is in there and doesn't really put up a fuss about it as we have been working with her to slowly introduce the tools that are used so she see they are not there to hurt her. Question for you. What type of food are you feeding your baby? It could be the source of many of your allergy and yeast problems.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Here is a pic of my Gunnyboy at the vet, he loved it ! but my other two hate it and its like pulling teeth getting them the office. they are all different. gunny at the docs.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am of no help... All of mine love going to the vet. Probably because its so rare that they do go. On the occasions that we do go they seem to go from being ill (like Yuna with her obstruction) to footloose and fancy free when we arrive. They look at me like I'm nuts saying "sure doesn't seem sick to me"!!! I'm trying to tell them she was dying, right? They think I'm nuts! :loco:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby is a regular at the vet's office. He LOVES it there. He goes in and starts whining if no one is out to pet him. I don't know why. They always have to poke and prod at him. None the less makes it so easy on us. He starts pulling on the leash the second you let him out of the car

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Tubby is a regular at the vet's office. He LOVES it there. He goes in and starts whining if no one is out to pet him. I don't know why. They always have to poke and prod at him. None the less makes it so easy on us. He starts pulling on the leash the second you let him out of the car

Loki is the same way with his vet he cries and cries till they come out and see him

OP
Eas98422

Eas98422

Jul 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winnie LOVES the attention...until the stethoscope comes out. We work on letting me touch his paws but as soon as the nail clippers come out, it's Crazy Winnie! He's a great boy all other times but whenever vet related things happen, even with treats, he freaks out!

I feed him Nutro Lite Lamb and Rice. He's been eating this food the whole time I've had him (2.5 years) and his allergies started to get BAD about a year ago.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My vet comes to the house. Maybe you can look into that. Winston might feel more comfortable in his own environment

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas loves going to the vet and for the life of me I cant figure out why. The only time we are there is when he is sick and gets shots, or about every 6 weeks to get internal anal glands expressed :eek:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Winnie LOVES the attention...until the stethoscope comes out. We work on letting me touch his paws but as soon as the nail clippers come out, it's Crazy Winnie! He's a great boy all other times but whenever vet related things happen, even with treats, he freaks out!

I feed him Nutro Lite Lamb and Rice. He's been eating this food the whole time I've had him (2.5 years) and his allergies started to get BAD about a year ago.

You may want to think about a food change... something grain free. even though he has been on it for that time frame, does not mean he has not developed issues with it. My girl did ot show her full reaction to chicken till she was near 2 years old.

OP
Eas98422

Eas98422

Jul 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I was thinking about asking about his food the next time I take The Winn to the vet. I hate seeing him miserable and itchy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online