Very vocal boy

Bellearell

Sep 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Siversun
Leo is just rounding 10 months and the most vocal EB Iā€™ve ever owned. He barks incessantly at the other dogs for attention and play. This behavior Iā€™m sure I can get in control; however, itā€™s at certain times he whines or cries that bother me. The behavior that bothers me most is when heā€™s settled down, trying to sleep and he starts breathing harder and then cries out. Sometimes I think itā€™s because he is frustrated or maybe bored. But other times I worry so that itā€™s pain heā€™s experiencing. This is such a stoic breed and most often donā€™t express their pain. We had some vomiting, passing out issues as a little guy and he had every single test possible, with zero results. Actually yā€™all solved it with feeding on a cookie sheet! So, am I being a paranoid momma or does it sound like Leo is in pain?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Is he asleep when he's doing this? Could it be that he's dreaming?

But yes, EBs can have such pain tolerance that I didn't realize anything was wrong with my boy until I noticed his belly swollen. Took him to the vet and that's when we found out he has cancer and it has gotten to a point where it has spread to his entire body. Not a single whimper nor change in attitude. He got slower, slept a lot, but he's 11 years old so I attributed it to old age!

OP
B

Bellearell

Sep 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Siversun
Oh I feel you about your boy! Same thing happened to me. He had a near necrotic gallbladder, then found the cancer. He never gave the slightest hint his gallbladder was diseased. Iā€™m a nurse, I know how painful this is.
Leo isnā€™t asleep yet, just in the fringe of sleep. In fact he did it just now, cries and rolled over and now heā€™s snoring. Sometimes he struggles a lot to get comfortable to sleep

OP
B

Bellearell

Sep 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Siversun
FYI, Iā€™m talking of two different males. My previous boy lived until 11 and never slowed down. He was such a trooper! I guess thatā€™s why I get so nervous with Leo.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Any chance of getting on video and posting here?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Actually yā€™all solved it with feeding on a cookie sheet!
I remember that recommendation...very glad that Leo is doing OK. I wish I had an easy fix for the barking other than telling him to be "SHHHHH!" whilst quickly making a fist...sometimes supplemented with a spray/squirt from a water bottle. That's what we do and it works. Repetition it key.
We did have one rescue(Tank) that, when alone and in his kennel, barked non-stop starting at dawn and ending at bed time. If he were in the presence of people, he never barked. He was never placed into a home.

OP
B

Bellearell

Sep 1, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Siversun
Any chance of getting on video and posting here?
My bad! Never saw your question. So Iā€™ve determined itā€™s his waning cry, same pitch when he doesnā€™t get his way or wants my attention. Heā€™s like the kid who doesnā€™t want to got I sleep yet. But Iā€™ll keep in mind to post a vid

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My bad! Never saw your question. So Iā€™ve determined itā€™s his waning cry, same pitch when he doesnā€™t get his way or wants my attention. Heā€™s like the kid who doesnā€™t want to got I sleep yet. But Iā€™ll keep in mind to post a vid
When itā€™s feeding time, my white face Jake is the biggest vocal whinny dog Iā€™ve ever owned. He beats my human kids when they were toddlers.

Members online

No members online now.