UTI/white blood cells

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My bully is on her third round of antibiotics for a UTI (or at least that what was initially believed. December 19th, the urine showed white blood cells (50 something) and she was given CIPROFLOXACIN 250MG for 10 days. A recheck showed the white blood cells decreased by about half but a higher amount of bacteria was present. So she was given Primor 10 days. Another recheck showed bacteria was gone but the still white blood cells. After 10 more days of Primor, a recheck shows the white blood cells are at the 50 mark. She will be going in for a Catheter for urine sample and a culture. Curious if anyone has had similar issues at all?

She also had a sore/swollen/itchy vagina and I have been wiping with chlorohexadine wipes. she isnā€™t trying to itch it as much, but doesnā€™t want it touched.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We've had 1 Bulldog come through rescue with recurring UTIs and it took an ultrasound to find the staghorn stone in 1 kidney. Once the infection was under control she was pulsed antibiotics for the remainder of her days...several years.
Start with the culture and go from there...that is the best course of action other than seeking a 2nd opinion.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm surprised they never cultured her to see what was growing and what it was sensitive to, just kept giving her antibiotics. Does she have any crystals in her urine? Is her urine more acidic or alkaline than normal? Did they do an ultrasound of bladder to look for stones?

If she has e.coli growing in her urine it would help prevent recurrences if you gave her d-mannose powder as a supplement, or d-mannose with cranberry extract.

She should definitely be on some sort of probiotic because of all the antibiotics she's been on.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Holy... 3rd round of antibiotics?!?! Definitely immune system is down n it canā€™t fight. Absolutely need probiotics to bing the gut flora back on track. Nyala had same issue as a pup. Got fed up n I started to cook for her. In a week all disappeared. She build her immune system with homemade fresh food. You needto remember antibiotics also kills the good cells why while on any antibiotics we always feed some sort of probiotics like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies in the refrigerated side or even better, frozen smelly green tripe at your pet shop freezer section. :)

OP
J

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Iā€™ve added a probiotic recently to her food. Hopefully itā€™s enough. They are doing a culture now. Not sure what type of test they do in the office as Iā€™ve collected urine multiple time (less than fun!)

I didnā€™t ask about crystals or acidic etc.

No ultrasound because she doesnā€™t have any red blood cells in her urine which they said they would expect to see. (I think that was the reason). I assume after the culture of that doesnā€™t show anything perhaps that will be next?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve added a probiotic recently to her food. Hopefully itā€™s enough. They are doing a culture now. Not sure what type of test they do in the office as Iā€™ve collected urine multiple time (less than fun!)

I didnā€™t ask about crystals or acidic etc.

No ultrasound because she doesnā€™t have any red blood cells in her urine which they said they would expect to see. (I think that was the reason). I assume after the culture of that doesnā€™t show anything perhaps that will be next?

Whatā€™s the probiotic?

OP
J

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
I am using Nutravet probiotic.... would Greek yogurt help?

- - - Updated - - -

Nutravet digestive enzymes

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

A dog specific commercial probiotic like the one mentioned should work too.

Another idea-You could take frozen raw dog food and ferment it yourself by marinading it at room or refrigerator temp with yoghurt,milk kefir, kombucha vinegar etc. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] talked about it on this thread http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/english-bulldog-dog-food-and-nutrition/60690-advice-raw-food-change-3.html

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
3 rounds of antibiotics and just now they're doing a culture? Really before you know more the best thing to do is a heavy dose of probiotics. You didn't mention what food you're feeding?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We need to understand, ā€œprobiotics refrigerated vs shelf.ā€ I prefer the refrigerated ones as there are specific strains in the bottle that needs to be in the fridge to stay alive. Now shelf life, what a lot of people donā€™t know n should be on the label n make sure you have good eyesight cause it will be in very fine print, it needs to be between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit wherever itā€™s sitting. If itā€™s not on the label, itā€™s on their website somewhere. Probably under acknowledgement section. The perfect probiotic lays under....how it was transported to the store. We have no clue how long itā€™s been sitting at the docks or at truck depots which can be for hours, often in the heat of the sun or how long itā€™s also been sitting in the back box of truck without refrigerated control. Basically itā€™s all about how itā€™s stored and shipped under strict temperature control. Shelf has a much higher risk that the strains has already died in the bottle. Why I would ā€œneverā€ buy any probiotics on a shelf. Any shelf products are usually all heated to seal the container, jars or bottles. This goes also for any human food. Anything that is canned is basically dead. Youā€™re eating nothing that has a nutritional value. Just like pet food in a can. Heat kills! Another reason why we should simply buy fermented food as a probiotic. All these boutique shelf supplements or chewy type and even all these fancy kibbles is all about marketing. Donā€™t break your head, very simple, fermented sauerkraut, fermented veggies, fermented ACV, smelly green frozen tripe, organs or fresh wild caught frozen whole fish. Itā€™s loaded of natural probiotics.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.