Unfortunately, we lost Zoey while away...

Akbullymom

Jun 5, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuck
on vaca. My son was caring for Zoey and Dozer and we had Lala and MINI with us. Two days gone we got the call from son saying he thought Zoey was dead. He told us that she was fine the day and night before and went out to do her biz as usual before bedtime. He found her the next morning just how she was when he turned out the lights and went to bed. She was almost 11 YO and lived a good life. Dalton "manned-up" and I could not be more pleased with the way he and our Vet handled everything in our absence.
At 1 YO she came into rescue dying from malnutrition and and unable to walk. Her stool was all liquid and a barium study showed nothing remarkable. Sandy decided that she would medicate as prescribed and give her a few days to recover. If she didn't improve, she would put her down. A day or so later, Sandy was watching her do her business in the yard and noticed she was assuming the position to poop but with no favorable results. Then she noticed her scooting and something protruding from her bum. Sandy gloved up and wrangled Zoe and for the next 20 minutes using light pressure pulled a 2.5' long piece of 1/2" rope out her backsides. Within hours Zoey was feeling better and soon resumed normal eating and pooping. Unfortunately, this was only 1 problem fixed. She was still lame...from extreme hip dysplasia. No problem...FHO surgery fixed her right up. She was healthy and ready to go to a new home.
Zoey would be my 7th OTR rescue 1 year before marrying Sandy.
Zoey was healthy as could be right til the end. The Vet said she probably had a stroke and passed very quickly...right where she slept. I hope I go like that when the time comes.
Rest in Peace little girl.
View attachment 121779View attachment 121780

manecya

Jul 10, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
on vaca. My son was caring for Zoey and Dozer and we had Lala and MINI with us. Two days gone we got the call from son saying he thought Zoey was dead. He told us that she was fine the day and night before and went out to do her biz as usual before bedtime. He found her the next morning just how she was when he turned out the lights and went to bed. She was almost 11 YO and lived a good life. Dalton "manned-up" and I could not be more pleased with the way he and our Vet handled everything in our absence.
At 1 YO she came into rescue dying from malnutrition and and unable to walk. Her stool was all liquid and a barium study showed nothing remarkable. Sandy decided that she would medicate as prescribed and give her a few days to recover. If she didn't improve, she would put her down. A day or so later, Sandy was watching her do her business in the yard and noticed she was assuming the position to poop but with no favorable results. Then she noticed her scooting and something protruding from her bum. Sandy gloved up and wrangled Zoe and for the next 20 minutes using light pressure pulled a 2.5' long piece of 1/2" rope out her backsides. Within hours Zoey was feeling better and soon resumed normal eating and pooping. Unfortunately, this was only 1 problem fixed. She was still lame...from extreme hip dysplasia. No problem...FHO surgery fixed her right up. She was healthy and ready to go to a new home.
Zoey was healthy as could be right til the end. The Vet said she probably had a stroke and passed very quickly...right where she slept. I hope I go like that when the time comes.
May she rest in peace, beautiful girl!!! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful journey and her death was peaceful, I can only hope that for my Henry too. Sending you love and peace, Manuela

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful girl! So sorry for the loss of your sweetie… she had a fantastic life thanks to you and Sandy! Thanks for sharing with us.

rest well beautiful Zoey… run pain free and play at the bridge

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
There really are no words during a time like this. Sending prayers And my condolences to you and your family ❤️

Gjones

Dec 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Very sorry for your loss. It's sad to read of her passing but heartwarming to know you rescued her and gave her 11 years of life and love.

LoveOurBulldogs

Mar 10, 2015
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey and Oscar

LoveOurBulldogs

Mar 10, 2015
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey and Oscar
So sorry for your loss! We lost our Petey in 2020 and our Oscar in 2018. Like you, we were on vacation when we lost Oscar.
Peace to you and your family.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sad to hear of your loss. Zoey had the best of homes and care.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Thank you for giving Zoey a good life.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
So sorry this has happened it is never ever easy but what lucky bully she was to have found you and your family.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. She was a really good little girl and we will miss her.
My only regret was not being able to hold her when she left. I've done that with every Bulldog before her.

Most Reactions