firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
hey everyone! im new here and have been loving reading all the advice but one problem i keep having is that many of the recommended products, especially food, isnt available in the uk. Lenny is only 14 months and had to have surgery for bladder stones last month :( the vet suggested purina HA which i switched him over to recently but it doesnt seem to be agreeing with him. his poop is really hard and he seems to have a hard time passing it. i've read all the opinions about purina on here and while i think the ingredients in the uk are a bit different, i'd still be really interested to hear from other uk users what you feed your bully? thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hey everyone! im new here and have been loving reading all the advice but one problem i keep having is that many of the recommended products, especially food, isnt available in the uk. Lenny is only 14 months and had to have surgery for bladder stones last month :( the vet suggested purina HA which i switched him over to recently but it doesnt seem to be agreeing with him. his poop is really hard and he seems to have a hard time passing it. i've read all the opinions about purina on here and while i think the ingredients in the uk are a bit different, i'd still be really interested to hear from other uk users what you feed your bully? thanks!

Hi thereā€¦ Whatever you do, stay away from Purina or anything they make, Royal Canin n Science Hill. Horrible, low quality as itā€™s full of grains. If itā€™s kibbles you want to stick with, in UK you have Acana. Thatā€™s a high quality kibble. Get the single protein bags n after each back get another protein. Rotation is the key for a healthy gut. Start with duck as itā€™s easier to digest. On the western side of the planet we donā€™t really have the same brands as yours. We do have a few UK members so they might know what other kibble there is. If you can go raw, even better. I feed both of mine a raw diet.

OP
F

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Hi thereā€¦ Whatever you do, stay away from Purina or anything they make, Royal Canin n Science Hill. Horrible, low quality as itā€™s full of grains. If itā€™s kibbles you want to stick with, in UK you have Acana. Thatā€™s a high quality kibble. Get the single protein bags n after each back get another protein. Rotation is the key for a healthy gut. Start with duck as itā€™s easier to digest. On the western side of the planet we donā€™t really have the same brands as yours. We do have a few UK members so they might know what other kibble there is. If you can go raw, even better. I feed both of mine a raw diet.

Thanks for your reply. I probably should have mentioned that he had cystine stones in his bladder and so the vet advised that he needs to be on a diet with low animal protein which is why they suggested purina hypoallergenic. I just want to feed him whatever is best for him and am finding it really hard to figure that out right now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your reply. I probably should have mentioned that he had cystine stones in his bladder and so the vet advised that he needs to be on a diet with low animal protein which is why they suggested purina hypoallergenic. I just want to feed him whatever is best for him and am finding it really hard to figure that out right now.

Then I would put him on BARF diet. Home cook But thatā€™s me. My brindle Nyala had somewhat same issues. Running to the vet for weeks. I had enough n did it my way. I home cooked for her. In a week ish everything disappeared. She stayed on home cooking for a yr. Then she went back 1/2 Acana n 1/2 raw. Then 100% on raw. Never had issues to this day.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014021...atians.com/PreventingUrateStoneFormation.html

DogAware.com: Homemade Diets for Dogs

OP
F

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Then I would put him on BARF diet. Home cook But thatā€™s me. My brindle Nyala had somewhat same issues. Running to the vet for weeks. I had enough n did it my way. I home cooked for her. In a week ish everything disappeared. She stayed on home cooking for a yr. Then she went back 1/2 Acana n 1/2 raw. Then 100% on raw. Never had issues to this day.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014021...atians.com/PreventingUrateStoneFormation.html

DogAware.com: Homemade Diets for Dogs

thanks again. to be honest i dont think me cooking for him is a sustainable choice, im not much of a cook! i'd be very happy to get him on Acana but it worries me that the vet has advised to avoid animal protein, were you told the same thing? he was neutered at the same time he had the stones removed which hopefully will protect against future stones but i want to make sure im doing the most i can to help him. there's just so much choice and so much contradictory info out there its making my head spin

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks again. to be honest i dont think me cooking for him is a sustainable choice, im not much of a cook! i'd be very happy to get him on Acana but it worries me that the vet has advised to avoid animal protein, were you told the same thing? he was neutered at the same time he had the stones removed which hopefully will protect against future stones but i want to make sure im doing the most i can to help him. there's just so much choice and so much contradictory info out there its making my head spin

I have no experience with stones, but maybe this Dr Becker video will help in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblKZ3i15_M

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Idk what else to suggest to you. Why I mentioned the BARF diet. Read up on the links I sent you n the one Christine sent you. It might help you.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He should be good to go if he was neutered. Louie has cystinuria but I had him neutered just before 1 year to avoid getting stones. It generally affects in tact adult males.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

firstimebully

Jul 6, 2021
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
thanks all, much appreciated. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] im looking into the various BARF options now :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks all, much appreciated. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] im looking into the various BARF options now :)

If you can cook yourself a chicken or hamburger, you can BARF for your fur ball. Hey look at it this way, you might learn how to cook through your dog! :yes: :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.