Type of food

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Hi all, I currently feed my boy Purina One Chicken and Rice hard food but I've been reading that chicken is a top allergen for bulldogs. I wonder if this might be contributing to his frequent blood blisters on his paws. Anyway, just wondering what you all prefer to feed your dogs?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi all, I currently feed my boy Purina One Chicken and Rice hard food but I've been reading that chicken is a top allergen for bulldogs. I wonder if this might be contributing to his frequent blood blisters on his paws. Anyway, just wondering what you all prefer to feed your dogs?

Purina is not a good food, definitely a diet change is highly recommended. Stay away from Purina, Hills, science diet, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, and other ‘low end foods’.

Raw diet is recommended but if you need a kibble, these are the highest quality kibbles in order:

-Carna 4: oven baked nuggets, no synthetics and comes in some exotic proteins, has pre and probiotics in it and this is what people buy when they can’t feed raw diet(travel reasons etc.)

-Natures Logic: no synthetics minimal processing and no legumes or potatoes, uses millet instead, comes in other proteins like rabbit and sardines. Has pre and probiotics In it added.

-Orijen: minimal carbs is used(20%), no synthetics.

-Acana - no synthetics used.

-N&D brand is ok but uses synthetics and more processed, but definitely better than the Purina.

Yes chicken is a common allergen for bulldogs, grains are also very common allergen, I would try a different protein and a better kibble without grains(Nature Logic, or Orijen or acana).

OP
L

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Can you post a picture of his paws? Are the blisters between his pad or toes or actually on his pads?
Blisters reoccurring in between the toes, not on the pads. Blood blisters that pop, dry up, and go away. I do treat them with nustock and bag balm, but they always come back.

Attachments

• 20220604_172412.jpg
    20220604_172412.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220604_172419.jpg
    20220604_172419.jpg
    907 KB · Views: 90

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Blisters reoccurring in between the toes, not on the pads. Blood blisters that pop, dry up, and go away. I do treat them with nustock and bag balm, but they always come back.

Do they look like warts?? Those can pop and return again.
Interdigital cysts are common between the toes too which can pop sometimes.

It’s hard to see what it is in the photo.

I still highly recommend you get her on a better food!

OP
L

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
They are interdigit cysts. The vet has looked at them multiple times and we've tried various treatments. Thanks for the feedback.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
My vet recommended Vetericyn Wound Care or Douxxo Mousse for interdigital Cysts. I changed foods too and once I got my dog off the food he came with (Royal Canin), no more problem.

OP
L

Lisag17

Apr 27, 2022
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Nacho
Thank you, we have both of those items at home. What food did you end up switching to?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you, we have both of those items at home. What food did you end up switching to?
Bag balm n NuStock always worked for my dogs. Like everyone mentioned changing food would be wise. Get a higher quality like @benny mentioned on his list.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
They are interdigit cysts. The vet has looked at them multiple times and we've tried various treatments. Thanks for the feedback.

Have you soaked it in epsom salt?? That can definitely help with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, a better food is needed. If you are wanting to stay with a kibble. Go with a high quality. Using duck or turkey … avoid chicken as many bulldogs have issue with it.

Zingnature
Open farm
Acana
Orijen
Fromm
Earthborn holistic
Farmina

are a few of the better kibbels

Tyson55

Feb 11, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Yes, a better food is needed. If you are wanting to stay with a kibble. Go with a high quality. Using duck or turkey … avoid chicken as many bulldogs have issue with it.

Zingnature
Open farm
Acana
Orijen
Fromm
Earthborn holistic
Farmina

are a few of the better kibbels
Open farm keeps giving my dog cyst.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online