Twirlling Around on Butt???

cazorp

Aug 9, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Barney
Last night my wife and I were awakened around 3:00am as our dog, Barney, was twirlling around on his butt like he was a mad man. This proceeded for about an hour or so. We could not figure it out. He has never done this before and we have had bullies for over 15 years.
We cleaned his butt and looked him over but could never figure it out.
Our daughter has a small rat terrier and she has to take him to the vet periodically to have his anal glands squeezed as he exhibits some of this same type of behavior. Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so what is the remedy??
Thanks for any and all answers.
danny

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just got back from the Vet today in fact, getting Vegas's anal glands expressed. He did not do a spin, but more like rubbing his butt on my area rug kind of like a scoot. He needs more than a squeeze the last two times he has had it done, he has to have an internal expression. It kind of sounds like what Barney was doing. My Vet only charges $5.00 for internal expressions.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
My Cadi does this every so often.... She has a tail pocket, and so I just tell her to go the the bathroom and she runs in and I clean her pocket and I put Gold Bond in her tail pocket and she is good to go for a while. Have you checked to see if your Barney has a tail pocket?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=657]mom2bullies[/MENTION], is a tail pocket where they do not have a tail? Vegas has about a 1 inch flap, no tail, I think he might have had a tail amputation as a pup, I adopted him at 4 months. I got all his vet papers when we got him, but we were in the process of moving and I have never seen them since. I am sure I put them in a safe place, If only I could remember where!! I have a picture of his flap and was going to ask if it looks like it has been amputated.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
A tail pocket is a pocket just above the anus and just below the tail, now if the tail has been removed and there is no flap at all then the pocket is gone. If you ever have seen Libra926's Vegas...his tail has been removed because of his deep pocket. Feel under Vegas's flap.... see if you can feel like a hole....let me know, if there is one it must be kept dry and Gold Bond in it so it doesn't itch....

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson started this when he was young, tried the anal gland expression. Didn't stop it. Back to the vet and and they told me I needed to start cleaning the tail pocket. I use a waterless shampoo sprayed on something like a gauze pad, wipe with a couple of those. Then follow up with mal-a-ket wipes. They said if that wasn't enough and it became infected it may require a tail amputation. Four years later I have never had an issue, he still has his adorable nub of a tail, I just need to keep it clean.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with the cleaning of the tail pocket or if that isnt infected then maybe he does need his glands expressed? Not all bullies do but I know of many who do. Mine doesnt but my pug does for sure. Within 2 months his are full again. If it isnt either of these then I have no answer expect possibly an allergy? It is a crazy fall and maybe something is driving him nuts? In that case benedryl can be given, 25mg per 25 pounds which is 1 pill of the regular. Make sure there is no tylenol mixed in of course cuz that is toxic to them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it definitely sounds like an anal gland or tail pocket issue. I had Molly for three years and never knew she had a tail pocket until it was talked about on here. I discovered quite a little cave that she has! Checked Mandy, not even a slight one. Checked Jesse, again, not one at all. Checked Tidus, again nope. (But I think he has some swollen anal glands). Checked Yuna, who really takes after her mom Molly in so many ways- and nope. Checked again during her bath the other day, and yep. She grew one in the last couple of months!

You would never know about the tail pocket unless you are looking, you will actually have to stick your finger along the base of the tail (about 1-2 inches above the bum hole so don't worry....!). If you do find one, just make sure you clean it a few times a week and treat it with medicated powder or medicated pads. I also use panalog- an anti fungal ointment that kills things like yeast.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
OMG! Thank goodness you posted this. I've been going nuts with Maximus who has been doing the same thing for weeks. I finally took him last week to the VET to have his anal glands expressed. I got Max
home and he's still "twirling and spinning" on the floor on his butt. I never once thought about his TAIL. Max has a very tight tail. I haven't really inspected it, and don't know what a "pocket" really is.
I never thought that it could be bothering him, or that it could be itching him. Can someone guide me thru how to check this out ...........Thanks !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here I was going to clean Molly's pocket anyway so I had my son film it. Excuse the crying baby she is just jealous and wants her Molly back to play with. ;)

[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:up:

Yay Lisa! Good video! Hopefully this helps!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hey Lisa --

Wow. Many thanks for the Video. It has helped me alot. I clean Max's tail pocket last nite and couldn't believe the crap I got out of it.......I cleaned it again just now and I'm still getting alot of hair and crap
out of the area. I was using the mal-a-ket wipes and regular baby wipes. I think I'm going to have to do this for a few days until the area is clean ......Thank you again for your kindness in providing the Video,
I certainly do appreciate it --- and so does Maximus !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are so welcome. It is amazing how much more detail you get from actually seeing it done in action I must admit. Yes, the first time I discovered Molly's it was very dirty, yeasty, and smelled like a fresh can of tuna! Just full of bacteria and yeast. An infection waiting to happen!

London Canine

Oct 19, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkie and Chubbie Chops
Good video Lisa!

You are going to find that a bulldogs tail needs to be cleaned quite often. You can use flush as Lisa said, and then alternate with apple cider vinegar or just regular soap and water...because they will become immune to the stuff if you use it every time. It was an on-going battle when Chubbie Chops was alive. he spun, he rubbed, he scooted a long the floor. Those yeast are alive and always dancing ...ewww good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.