Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Straight forward and simple. My Bulldog has Hot spots - 2-3 of them - 2 on the front legs and 1 on the back leg. they are round and crusty and dry. What is the treatment for these Hot Spots. My Vet has already determined they are hot spots, I just want to make sure I treat them accordingly with the right treatment.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus' Hot Spots are ROUND, and CRUSTY, and about the size of a Nickel. They are not moist, and they do not ooze anything.
I just had to take him off of Hill's Science Diet Metabolic & Mobility diet because he began to look really horrible, and I put him back
on his FROMM Weight Management and TASTE OF THE WILD Bison/Venison formula. He is on APOQUEL for his Allergies, and he is
also on KETOCONAZOLE as an Anti-fungal. He was on Temaril-P, but that did little to control his itching and his Allergies. Hopefully
with the change in diet he will begin to improve.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Maximus' Hot Spots are ROUND, and CRUSTY, and about the size of a Nickel. They are not moist, and they do not ooze anything.
I just had to take him off of Hill's Science Diet Metabolic & Mobility diet because he began to look really horrible, and I put him back
on his FROMM Weight Management and TASTE OF THE WILD Bison/Venison formula. He is on APOQUEL for his Allergies, and he is
also on KETOCONAZOLE as an Anti-fungal. He was on Temaril-P, but that did little to control his itching and his Allergies. Hopefully
with the change in diet he will begin to improve.

I know you mentioned you vet said they are hot spots, but hots spots are generally a little moist. If they are round & crusty - this sounds like allergy related, or staph. Tyson has had them in the past. They scab and fall off leaving a small area with no fur, but luckily its always grown back. Since you just switched his food, that will help tremendously. I would also wash all his beds, blankets, etc in a hot hot cycle to kill anything that may be lurking. I do this, and spray with Industrial Lysol when Tyson has a bad flare up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know you mentioned you vet said they are hot spots, but hots spots are generally a little moist. If they are round & crusty - this sounds like allergy related, or staph. Tyson has had them in the past. They scab and fall off leaving a small area with no fur, but luckily its always grown back. Since you just switched his food, that will help tremendously. I would also wash all his beds, blankets, etc in a hot hot cycle to kill anything that may be lurking. I do this, and spray with Industrial Lysol when Tyson has a bad flare up.

Ttotally agree... sounds more like staph infection not hotspot

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 ACV & water with a squirt of antibacterial soap. I spray this on any cuts, nicks, scratches and hot spots of staph spots. For small simple issues, this works great. Now, this is NOT related to any food allergies. If you have NOT changed the dog food recently, this would not be related to the food. Yes, over time, some dogs can become sensitive to the same brand of dog food. You would notice a change in the poop first before anything pops out in the skin.

Large staph infections require more aggressive treatment including meds.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online