Training a puppy mill momma

kehwriter101

May 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Hi,

My little puppy mill momma is doing better but now we are trying to do some training. She is so afraid of the world! It breaks my heart. But she is starting to come out if her sheā€™ll. But when she plays she is a little too aggressive and will start to chew on your hands or try to grab for things. Tips on how to correct that? If I say no, even quietly she gets scared. Iā€™ve always been cautious about loud sounds because even if a neighborhood kiddo is yelling while playing she gets scared. We are still working on kennel training too. With a soft blanket because she is so afraid of being alone after whatā€™s been done to her. Any thoughts are appreciated!

She is also very afraid of the world. Any ways of helping with that?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OH my goodness... well first of all bless you for adopting a breeder momma. I'm going to tag some members to give you insight...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
That is so sad. It is wonderful that you are trying to help this poor girl. I haven't experienced anything like this so I'm afraid I can't help but I am sure others will have ideas. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]? [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION].

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi,

My little puppy mill momma is doing better but now we are trying to do some training. She is so afraid of the world! It breaks my heart. But she is starting to come out if her sheā€™ll. But when she plays she is a little too aggressive and will start to chew on your hands or try to grab for things. Tips on how to correct that? If I say no, even quietly she gets scared. Iā€™ve always been cautious about loud sounds because even if a neighborhood kiddo is yelling while playing she gets scared. We are still working on kennel training too. With a soft blanket because she is so afraid of being alone after whatā€™s been done to her. Any thoughts are appreciated!

She is also very afraid of the world. Any ways of helping with that?

Youā€™re a good momma. It will take time. If she plays rough simply have a toy in your hand so you can divert her to the toy n not your hands. Since you canā€™t raise your voice try clicking your fingers with a firm NO.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Don't know how long you have had this gal. Sounds like she has had no contact with the outside world and probably mistreated.The word "no" probably lead to a beating for her. It will take a good while and a lot of patience for her to come into this "new world". If she is willing to play- that is a good sign. Try to find toys that are bigger, so your hand doesn't "get in the way". Playing "pull" is a little too aggressive for now, just throw the toy, and let her get it. Always keep some special treats in your pocket(yummy ones). When she takes it easy(say easy) give her a treat or learns to bring the toy back. When mine went to take the treat kinda rough, I would turn my hand backwards so they couldn't get it, and say easy-until they took it easy. When there is a loud sound that scares her, tell her "it's okay" and give her a treat. When I have kennel trained puppies, I would give them a treat, and throw a few into the back of the kennel, for them to go in. Make it a GOOD place, not a punishment.Bullies are very food oriented, so using treats usually works well with them. I was never afraid of "teeth" as long as it was "accidental", so you may get a few marks until she learns to take it easy. You really can't shield her from noises, just tell her it's okay. She has to learn, and you have to earn her trust, then you will be able to teach her things. It could take awhile-you don't say how old she is, and the older she is, the longer it may take. Any questions-ask away. Someone will always try to help!
Besides that :welcome4: to EBN!

OP
kehwriter101

kehwriter101

May 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Thank you! They think she is 8, but she had a lot of energy! So I have a hard believing she is that old. She also looks very good to be that old. I have had her for almost 2 months now. She does long to play tug o war with my roommates dog, but if he growls she runs for the hills. Which he does when he plays with us. So he doesnā€™t understand why she wonā€™t play him. But she had learned a lot from him.

I am loving this help! Agnes is getting better each day. All the treats! I have a few rope toys because those seem to be her favorite. Iā€™m trying to find other ones. Any other toy ideas? She has not shown and interest in other things yet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! They think she is 8, but she had a lot of energy! So I have a hard believing she is that old. She also looks very good to be that old. I have had her for almost 2 months now. She does long to play tug o war with my roommates dog, but if he growls she runs for the hills. Which he does when he plays with us. So he doesnā€™t understand why she wonā€™t play him. But she had learned a lot from him.

I am loving this help! Agnes is getting better each day. All the treats! I have a few rope toys because those seem to be her favorite. Iā€™m trying to find other ones. Any other toy ideas? She has not shown and interest in other things yet.

Post a photo of herā€¦we would like to see her :yes:

Careful with ropes. Often they ripe strands n it ends up in the belly, wrapped around intestinesā€¦ so simply be there when dogs play with toy ropes.

Krissie

May 31, 2018
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quinn & Ivy
Stay strong! We adopted a puppy mill momma 3 months ago, Ivy. She is only 2 years old and has adapted pretty well, I give a lot of credit to our 3 year old female bulldog Quinn. She is laid back so it helped with being so timid and scared.

We cuddled her alot and when we took her outside, we would sit in the grass with her and roll a ball around to get her to move away from in between our legs. As we did this, she would venture further into the yard she would sniff out bushes and fallow Quinn around.

As far loud sounds, she still barks at power tools from the neighbors or dogs parking on TV. Just scoop her up and cuddle her, tell her it its ok and give lots of kisses and get her interested in a toy. Seems to really help Ivy.

It takes time, only 3 months in and still needs work. Just have to show her LOVE, they don't get that from the mill. Don't be afraid to spoil her, she needs that attention for reassurance.

Good luck and remember to be patient...with love!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Best of luck - seems like your Agnes has come to a great home! It's probably a good thing that she has a dog friend to play with but as you teach her to play, I would not go for anything resembling tug-of-war.

Have you tried big balls? My Castor liked any old basket / soccer ball and there is also those jolly balls (with a handle) you need a sturdy big ball that you can throw and Agnes can roll, chew on, as well as drag or carry). While training (as in socializing) her, focus on things like fetch and seek-and-find rather than play that involves "power struggle".

OP
kehwriter101

kehwriter101

May 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
She loves this stuff cat toy!! Itā€™s her comfort object. I need to find another in case something happens to it! She sleeps with and carries it around sometimes. I will try a ball! Sometimes she runs when things come at her, but she might be okay with it a toy.

Potty training is rough. She did so well for 2 weeks but we are back to not going number two outside and wanting to in the cage. Which is hard because the. She sits in there and it will break my heart! Itā€™s like she knows she is use to it.

60B6561A-CB94-4863-8B8E-F8C99F28C416.jpeg

Here is a photo of they day I got her and a one month later! We are still trying to get to her goal weight!

OP
kehwriter101

kehwriter101

May 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
8114CB96-1DDB-4CCD-AA06-C3F30259B7DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 8114CB96-1DDB-4CCD-AA06-C3F30259B7DF.jpeg
    8114CB96-1DDB-4CCD-AA06-C3F30259B7DF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 205

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful girlā€¦. Thank you for giving her a great new home!

She is doing great and the gang has given some wonderful advice. Give her at least six months to fully bloom, be comfortable and show her true self. All the work you are doing she will be one very happy girl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She loves this stuff cat toy!! Itā€™s her comfort object. I need to find another in case something happens to it! She sleeps with and carries it around sometimes. I will try a ball! Sometimes she runs when things come at her, but she might be okay with it a toy.

Potty training is rough. She did so well for 2 weeks but we are back to not going number two outside and wanting to in the cage. Which is hard because the. She sits in there and it will break my heart! Itā€™s like she knows she is use to it.

View attachment 121099

Here is a photo of they day I got her and a one month later! We are still trying to get to her goal weight!

Sheā€™s a pretty girl. Is her cage open at night or you shut the door? Btw, what do you feed her?