Tia did it!!! Agility Class #1!

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
So we did our first agility class tonight, Tia LOVED it!

Mostly it was familiarizing them with the clickers, learning to touch a target with their nose, and learning to go over jumps (short short, they started off with the bar on the ground).

It wasn't that much physical work, but mentally it was EXHAUSTING for her. By the time we got in the car, and drove 1 block, she was out cold and hardly even looked up for the hour drive home!

She had such a good time, and loved all the treats (they were tiny pieces of regular sized treats, so she doesn't get fat, but she didn't care). I can't wait to do another class! I will try and take some pics one of these classes!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AWESOME!!! looking forward to seeing her in action

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Congrats the stimulation is great for both of you and Tia has more friends and more bonding

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Woohoo! That sounds like so much fun, I can so picture her falling asleep like that. She's loving it!:yes:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW how awesome!!! I would LOVE to do that, but I didn't know if bullies would be great candidates for it… Lol

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Great to hear this! How many more classes do you have and are they once a week? sounds exhausting but very rewarding too!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad her first class went so well! Looking forward to hearing more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ThatsBull

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
@ddnene I think any dog who may be interested is a good candidate, our beginner agility class doesn't do the teeter totter or the balance beam, and the instructors asked me to remind them to keep everything low for her because she may be a bit clumsy. If she does well, I will contemplate doing intermediate agility with her which will bring in those 2 obstacles I think.
@cali baker we have 7 more classes, they are once a week. I worked with her today on touching a target, to keep her working. Just 2 sessions, about 5-7 minutes each, by the end of those, I could toss the target 1/2 way across the room, and she would hunt it down and touch it with her nose when I asked her to. Then, when I clicked the clicker she came running back to me for a treat.

Tia is actually going to get a "double whammy" of agility I think, as I think my daughters are going to do K9 4H, in which the kids do agility. My best friend attends the agility class with me, and also runs the K9 4H (and breeds mini aussies), so I know that she won't let me/the girls overwork Tia.

Tia thinks this whole "clicker=treat" thing is just amazing, and if I just sit there, holding a treat and the clicker but not asking her to do anything, she will do every trick she can think of to see if it will get her the treat, man this dog makes me laugh!! My 10 year old Rottie just sits and mooches treats while I work with Tia, it's too funny.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.