The Mystery of the Bulldog

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
New Bulldog mama here... FullSizeRender.jpg I mean, really, look at her!!! MUAH-- LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Sorry -- back!

questions:

1)What's up with bulldog chin acne? It always comes back at the same spot, and if anyone has any recommendations? (Yes I've been to the vet, and they gave us fancy shampoo)
2)Is it normal for a Bulldog to act out in spurts? playing one minute and then asleep and snoring the next?
3) Bulldog throw up: Should I panic, or does this happen every now and then?
4) She HATES to walk, even if it means to go out and potty (We live in a building) so walking to get outside is a must. Any tips?

Thank you All in advance.

XOXO
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
She is a beautiful gal! Someone will come along to answer the others, but the spurts of energy and then the plop are totally normal. As far as throw up, every once in a while Smash will throw up after drinking water too fast or inhaling too much food or water at a time.

What is her name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
she's just gorgeous and all sounds norm to me,,,,,,,,,, rare to throw up, but happens. More answers to come but wanted to welcome you :)

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Welcome! She's such a beautiful, happy girl! Congratulations.

She reminds me of my Bentley.

Everything you described sounds typical. Bulldogs don't tend to enjoy exercise, can have sensitive tummies, and are prone to skin issues.

Maybe you could coax her outside with a treat. But be careful. She'll learn she gets treats when going outside and might go out just for the treat! They're smart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
New Bulldog mama here... View attachment 110546 I mean, really, look at her!!! MUAH-- LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Sorry -- back!

questions:

1)What's up with bulldog chin acne? It always comes back at the same spot, and if anyone has any recommendations? (Yes I've been to the vet, and they gave us fancy shampoo)
2)Is it normal for a Bulldog to act out in spurts? playing one minute and then asleep and snoring the next?
4) She HATES to walk, even if it means to go out and potty (We live in a building) so walking to get outside is a must. Any tips?

XOXO
View attachment 110547

She is a very pretty bully girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
New Bulldog mama here... View attachment 110546 I mean, really, look at her!!! MUAH-- LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Sorry -- back!

questions:

XOXO
View attachment 110547

Oh she is sooooo beautiful!!!! Joey is my first bully and I have learned a ton here!! I'm no expert BUT I can tell you what we've experienced. Joey will be 3 years old May 31st.

1) Chin acne, sorry no experience here
2) This is Joey to a tee! She will run, play, and all of a sudden she is asleep and snoring. The playing spurts have shortened a ton....
3) Joey will throw up yellow foam stuff IF HER STOMACH is empty. It has happened a handful of times. Someone MORE experienced can help with this one probably.
4) Walking takes a bit of gentle tugging to get going, then she loves it. She only has certain times of the year that she goes for walks NOT the summer....obviously

Hope this helps a bit......You pup really is stunning!!!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
she is georgous!
I've only been a bully mom about 19mo so I'm no expert thats for sure. but. my experience;
1. Chin Acne; yep, happens, they slobber alot so it stays wet and irritated, I just clean with the malacetic wipes everynight, along with the tail pocket, ears, and face wrinkles
2. energy spurts: just part of puppyhood, two speeds-full out and off
3. Ty definately had issues with throwing up and diarrhea! once or twice he ate things he shouldn't have (flip-flop, stuffing from toy) he was just like a human child,' if I can get it in my mouth it will go in my mouth' so I had to baby proof the house again after 30 years, even the safety latches on the cabinets.
then after watching closely I noticed he ate really, really fast, so I got one of those bowls designed to make them eat more slowly. Eureka!!!! no more vomiting no more diarrhea!!!
4. don't want to walk; Bully live up to their name on that one. they are BULLHEADED!! you just have to show 'em, THIS IS WHAT WE DO, AND I'M THE BOSS.

like I said, i'm no expert,

have fun,

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Chin acne...Stainless steel food and water bowls only...glazed ceramic also good. Plastic is not good.
Energy level can be modified ever so slightly by keep excess weight off. Some bulldogs are just lazier than others.
Throwing up? Bile or Food or Water or Foamy slime?
Walking...All of our guys get hitched up and go out in groups of 3 to 5. Never had a "single" bulldog that refused to walk so cannot add much to this through experience. I'll side with what others say

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

Sorry -- back!

questions:

XOXO
View attachment 110547

Congratulations on your beautiful bullie! Love that face-and those dark points! All your statements are quite normal. When does she vomit? After eating-she may eat too fast. In the morning-she may have empty stomach. If so, a small snack before bed will help that. Not eating a good dog food,could cause her to vomit. Grain free is best.
Be careful with toys-some will eat parts of stuffies, squeakies, socks-keep an eye until you learn her.
As for taking a walk, you may want to put a harness on her,so that if you HAVE to pull you will not hurt her neck/throat. If you have a friend who walks a dog,try going together,if the dogs get along. She will just have to learn to go out! Chin acne,as stated, can be from the plastic dishes,wet chin,tender skin. Stainless steel bowls are good,personally I use pyrex(just a brand..) glass baking pans. Glad you joined and :welcome:

OP
7oniarc

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Thanks so much!! Her name is Dinah, turned 2yrs in Nov):heart:

I am glad to hear that her behavior is typical Breed behavior -- But then this morning, she DID NOT want to go outside to potty. I had to drag her and I was so embarrassed. If it wasn't for me taking her out, she would just sleep all day and maybe go out a couple of times.
How often do your Bulldogs needs to go out?
Thank you!
Sally XOXOXO

OP
7oniarc

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Thank you!

Yes, she has a harness but she does not want to walk down the hall, to the elevators, so we can go down to the ground floor and go outside... she won't do it. If I leave her, she will just sleep all day. And yes, I've used treats, she loves string cheese, but as someone here said, they are smart dogs. She won't budge unless I give her a treat for every two steps she takes.

But some days she's ready to go out. She doesn't tell me when, I just have to watch her and sometimes just make a guess, and often times I will come up to her to put her harness on, and she just runs the other way, like "I don't wanna go!"

Is this crazy or what?

AND: How often does your Bulldog go out?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thanks so much!! Her name is Dinah, turned 2yrs in Nov):heart:

I am glad to hear that her behavior is typical Breed behavior -- But then this morning, she DID NOT want to go outside to potty. I had to drag her and I was so embarrassed. If it wasn't for me taking her out, she would just sleep all day and maybe go out a couple of times.
How often do your Bulldogs needs to go out?
Thank you!
Sally XOXOXO

Well, my dogs are "spoiled". My yard is totally fenced,so they can just run out the door! They would go out 100 times! They do go out more than they have to.
I think they should go out 3 times a day (ideally) but at least 2, and once before bed. One of my rescue Bullies, doesn't want to go out, but I "make" her go, easy for me because, there are only 4 steps! Like I said, a harness would be safer. https://www.lupinepet.com/

OP
7oniarc

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Welcome! She's such a beautiful, happy girl! Congratulations.

She reminds me of my Bentley.

Everything you described sounds typical. Bulldogs don't tend to enjoy exercise, can have sensitive tummies, and are prone to skin issues.

Maybe you could coax her outside with a treat. But be careful. She'll learn she gets treats when going outside and might go out just for the treat! They're smart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

YESSSS!!!! She's so smart, she will be so happy to walk out of the apartment and be in a perfect sit position just to get a treat.

OP
7oniarc

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
GOSH I feel SO GOOD that I joined this FORUM... I feel so much better knowing now that the behavior is just typical Bulldog behavior. I am a true believer that in the end it falls on the owner of the pet, and it's never the dog's fault -- so thank you all for your supportive and prompt reply to my questions.

IMG_2507.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Her name is Dinah.

Members online

No members online now.