SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Hello
I have been feeding Fromm Pork and Peas for the last two years. Red still gets yeast infections and has tear stains. It isn't the looks of the stains it is he scratches and rubs his eyes on the carpet.

I recently tried Zignature limited ingredient pork. Open Farms pork and root vegetables and Red has really bad gas. I wouls think the gas meant something doesn't agree with him.

I don't cook for myself so don't see myself trying the raw diet so was thinking of trying The Honest Kitchen basic recipe. Don't know how to start so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He has already had entropian surgery on his eye so the stains are much better. He won't drink his water with ACV and it doesn't seem to work anyways. I have tried several other options. His face gets wiped multiple times a day so my last resort is to try something like THK or freeze dried.

Sorry for the long post but trying to make sure I put down everything I have tried.

Thank you so much
Sue

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can try a different protein with Fromm eg. Duck or go with a dehydrated raw dog food eg. Honest kitchen spruce or a less expensive brand such as spot farms

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would try a different protein. It could be just that the pork doesn't agree with him. Monty doesn't do well with lamb or beef. Duck is a good one to try, or Salmon or Turkey. I wouldn't panic about raw just yet as there are options for you. I rarely cook either so raw is the last option for me! Monty has been on several foods and right now Zignature is working well for him (Duck or Salmon & Trout).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello
I have been feeding Fromm Pork and Peas for the last two years. Red still gets yeast infections and has tear stains. It isn't the looks of the stains it is he scratches and rubs his eyes on the carpet.

I recently tried Zignature limited ingredient pork. Open Farms pork and root vegetables and Red has really bad gas. I wouls think the gas meant something doesn't agree with him.

I don't cook for myself so don't see myself trying the raw diet so was thinking of trying The Honest Kitchen basic recipe. Don't know how to start so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He has already had entropian surgery on his eye so the stains are much better. He won't drink his water with ACV and it doesn't seem to work anyways. I have tried several other options. His face gets wiped multiple times a day so my last resort is to try something like THK or freeze dried.

Sorry for the long post but trying to make sure I put down everything I have tried.

Thank you so much
Sue

If you want to avoid allergies among other issues and dont want to do raw, yes go for the HK. Nyala still has her home cooking n HK or Spot Farms which is like HK but much less expensive!! Same quality. You will need a protein so you can get the turkey one. HKT or Spot Farms Turkey. You just prep it night before so it thickens properly n you have your breakfast n supper for the day. Extremely easy. Make sure you give marrowbones so they still practice chewing as HKT n SFT is like mash potatoes texture.

OP
S

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Thank you for the response.
What kind of marrow bones and do you let them chew it for awhile and put it up?
he is used to Pork so do you think the Turkey would be best

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Hello

Thank you so much
Sue
[MENTION=15352]SMSiegman[/MENTION] I switched Ranger from TOTW puppy Venison (which he had horrible gas and skin issues on) to THK Spruce. It has literally helped all his skin allergies, gas, skin and coat. It's incredibly easy to prepare and it's definitely worth the cost and having to order it online. I know a lot of people on here use the base HK Kindly and add their own protein. I, like you don't cook much so for us we need a protein already added! Lol. Hope this helps. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the response.
What kind of marrow bones and do you let them chew it for awhile and put it up?
he is used to Pork so do you think the Turkey would be best

I give bison or beef marrow bones. NOT the joint part but the tibia section. I buy it at my pet shop in tbe frozen section or go to a butcher. Same price where im from but maybe its cheaper at the butchers where you are.

I didnt see HK Pork. Didnt know they made that. But if he gets itchy or yeast infection maybe try turkey.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would definitely try a different protein.

OP
S

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
The food I'm trying now is called Open Farms with Pork protein. Just wondering is the gas maybe because it is a different food and maybe takes some time?

I tried Fromm with duck protein and horrible gas so I'm kind of afraid to try THK spruce. Wish they did have a pork option.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The food I'm trying now is called Open Farms with Pork protein. Just wondering is the gas maybe because it is a different food and maybe takes some time?

I tried Fromm with duck protein and horrible gas so I'm kind of afraid to try THK spruce. Wish they did have a pork option.

It could be very well be the pork. My first thought is to change the protein. THK makes a base mix where you add in your protein.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

With the name "Open Farm" probably is the pork that smell! :bad: :p

Members online

No members online now.