helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
To neutered/spayed/castrations or not....

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/07/27/neutering-spaying-effects.aspx

Dr. Karen Becker

My Preference Is to Sterilize, Not Desex
Since simply delaying a spay or neuter until a dog is older doesnā€™t address all the health challenges we see in desexed versus intact pets, I like the Vizsla researchers' conclusion above that we need to investigate alternative methods of sterilizing dogs that do not involve removing the ovaries or testes.

As I explain in this video, over the years I've changed my view on spaying and neutering dogs, based not just on research studies, but also on the health challenges faced by so many of my canine patients after I spayed or neutered them. These were primarily irreversible metabolic diseases that appeared within a few years of a dog's surgery.

These days I work with each individual pet owner to make decisions that will provide the most health benefits for the dog. Whenever possible, I prefer to leave dogs intact. However, this approach requires a highly responsible pet guardian who is fully committed to and capable of preventing the dog from mating (unless the owner is a responsible breeder and that's the goal).

My clients are incredibly responsible and educated. Iā€™ve never had a single unplanned pregnancy in my veterinary career. But I realize Iā€™m not providing medical care to the entire world, and the world is full of irresponsible people.

My second choice is to sterilize without desexing. This means performing a procedure that will prevent pregnancy while sparing the testes or ovaries so they continue to produce hormones essential for the dog's health. This can be done at any age, and could easily replace the current standard of desexing by high volume spay/neuter clinics and shelters around the country.

This typically involves a vasectomy for male dogs, and a modified spay for females. The modified spay removes the uterus while preserving the hormone-producing ovaries. This procedure is less invasive, requires shorter time under anesthesia, and yields the same results with no negative side effects.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
SHOULD BE BAND FROM THE MARKET!!!

AE49E229-6BF9-4C15-895D-4DEEB1EFD966.jpeg

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I so wish we could make that happen..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just donā€™t get it why they canā€™t! Who on earth decides to keep this and who agrees? Just doesnā€™t make any sense with all the proof itā€™s toxic.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], I've been giving lots of thought to your holistic approach. I bought some raw sauerkraut that has been pasteurized, and milk thistle today. Tucker goes for blood work on Friday, so I am ready to get him back on the road to being healthy again. He is now starting to pick up some of his old tricks, and is wagging his tail again, so I know he is feeling better. I did cut back on his prednisone a tad on Monday, as it was making him miserable! Thank you for your tips for whole health.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], I've been giving lots of thought to your holistic approach. I bought some raw sauerkraut that has been pasteurized, and milk thistle today. Tucker goes for blood work on Friday, so I am ready to get him back on the road to being healthy again. He is now starting to pick up some of his old tricks, and is wagging his tail again, so I know he is feeling better. I did cut back on his prednisone a tad on Monday, as it was making him miserable! Thank you for your tips for whole health.

Great when they wag a tail lolll. Make sure the sauerkraut is fermented not heated as heat kills all nutritional value like milk. Keep us posted on the blood work. Weā€™ll be thinking of our little Tucker.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
https://articles.mercola.com/herbs-spices/nettle.aspx

And as per [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

If you use the leafs you need to boil them for a few minutes. After that they don't sting. Then you can freeze or dry them. You can use them like spinach, or in a smoothie, in a bread....That's for yourself of course.
For your dog you can just mix it with their food or yoghurt. I feed raw and make veggie pures for my dogs and put that in their mix of meats. There are a lot of nettle supplements too, but if grows in your garden... Nettle seeds are even better and they don't sting. You can just dry them.
I have started looking at those pesty weeds very diffrently... for example I can't wait for the goutweed and dandelion to start growing again!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahhhhh the famous.....Can I give potatoes or peas to my dog... interesting phrase about, potatoes, peas n raw...

Wait till you read this article, youā€™ll fall on your a*s.... goes like this and it makes a lot of sense too!!!!

Thereā€™s nothing magical about raw diets ā€¦ the only reason raw feeders see fewer health issues in their dogs is because they donā€™t contain starchy carbohydrates. Fruits and vegetables are fine ā€¦ they donā€™t contain phytic acid, they have a low glycemic load and they can be loaded with vitamins and minerals. But raw diets are free of peas, potatoes and cereal grains and thatā€™s why so many dogs do so well on them.

Note that I didnā€™t say feed a grain-free diet. Grain-free diets can be higher in starch than regular foods ā€¦ they just replace the grains with potatoes and peas.

Read this link...great info!!!

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/are-potatoes-good-for-dogs-and-other-questions-about-starch/

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
A lot of articles also say that garlic is toxic for dogs and causes anemia. Then again I give my dogs garlic almost every day and consider it very healthy. You have to feed 5g/body weight per day for a long period of time before your dog gets anemia from eating garlic. That means about one whole garlic (not just a glove)per day for a 30kg(66lbs) dog for several days...

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
A lot of articles also say that garlic is toxic for dogs and causes anemia. Then again I give my dogs garlic almost every day and consider it very healthy. You have to feed 5g/body weight per day for a long period of time before your dog gets anemia from eating garlic. That means about one whole garlic (not just a glove)per day for a 30kg(66lbs) dog for several days...

So true! My dogs always had garlic. Great for dogā€™s just like for humans. Great point!!

Garlic ā€“ garlic helps to manage flea infestations occasional use of additional preventatives may be needed during these times but the need will be much reduced. The reduction of sugar in the diet will inhibit infestation (fleas and tick love sugar)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online