Tear stains came back on Fromm…

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
We recently switched Millie to adult food. We picked up three small bags of Fromm 4 star (my previous ebd did very well on them: duck/rabbit, pork/apple, trout/whitefish). She transitioned easily. I also started adding a tiny amount (~1/5 scoop) of probiotic miracle to her dinners at this time.

I did the transition over three days. Half Orijen half Fromm for each meal. Each day I tried a new flavor of Fromm.

On the fourth day I switched to 100% duck/rabbit. I kept with this for 8 full days to see if she had any sort of reactions to it.

Yesterday I switched her to trying the trout/whitefish.

I also noticed last night that the tear stains she had in December, when she was on RC, are starting to come back. Not as bad as they were, but the hint of them is there.

I am assuming it is something in the duck/rabbit food? I thought for sure it was the beet in the RC originally causing it. But now 🤷‍♂️

Thoughts on which ingredient is causing it? I am not equipped to doing raw, at least right now. But down the road I’m leaving that possibility open. I’m going to switch back to the duck today and keep it going for another bag, to verify it gets worse.

We did also start a new treat flavor, which I’m stopping today for verification, but those ingredients don’t look suspect to me either: (oat flour, beef, cheddar, ground rice, ground oats, molasses, coconut glycerin, flaxseed, citric acid). The previous flavor was the same brand and ingredients were fairly similar (Oat Flour, Duck, Blueberries, Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Molasses, Coconut Glycerin, Flaxseed, Citric Acid)

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Fromm is a good food but I think their formulas have potato in them. At least they did, not sure if they still do. But potatoes are super starchy and can feed yeast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Orijen is a good kibble… curious as to why you needed to switch? As Citty stated Fromm is a good kibble too but they do have potatoes in almost all blends.

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Orijen is a good kibble… curious as to why you needed to switch?
Why switch at all?: My breeder suggested switching to adult food around the 4 month mark, but we waited to 5 months.
Why did we pick Fromm?: I was going to switch to Acana, but only one pet store near me carries it and they only carry the small bags of beef. Since my previous ebd did well on Fromm, and since it is carried in many sizes and varieties at several of the local stores it seemed like the obvious choice to me.

Perhaps I'm going to have to be pickier with Millie?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Why switch at all?: My breeder suggested switching to adult food around the 4 month mark, but we waited to 5 months.
Why did we pick Fromm?: I was going to switch to Acana, but only one pet store near me carries it and they only carry the small bags of beef. Since my previous ebd did well on Fromm, and since it is carried in many sizes and varieties at several of the local stores it seemed like the obvious choice to me.

Switching to Orijen adult formula might be better for Millie as she is already well-adjusted to Orijen.

My dogs are on raw and I find it super easy, although, requires the extra step of food prep and attentive feeding (I prep for the dogs same as I prep for the humans in the household). My dogs can eat their daily food in 5 minutes so it's no big deal to attend to them while they eat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Darn! It is like a science project with each new bully! What worked great for one makes another a mess. I fed Fromm for awhile, but my girl was allergic to chicken and potatoes gave her horrible skin irritation so we went raw. Our current boy is allergic to everything green as well as lamb and salmon…

you Have to find what works best for each individual pup as well as your wallet

Staff online

Members online