Tear Staining

Teara

Dec 11, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Teara
View attachment 122164
This is my Teara and is my first English Bulldog. She is 1 and has more tearing now than she did when she was younger. How do you dry up her tears in the wrinkles and get the staining out? I use a aloe based hypoallergenic baby wipe and bulldog eye paste but it is not working with the staining.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 122164
This is my Teara and is my first English Bulldog. She is 1 and has more tearing now than she did when she was younger. How do you dry up her tears in the wrinkles and get the staining out? I use a aloe based hypoallergenic baby wipe and bulldog eye paste but it is not working with the staining.
It’s a big issue in EB. My white face Jake has no tear stains as I feed both my dogs raw only n filtered water. If you are feeding kibbles, make sure it’s a high quality brand like Acana, Zignature, Fromm….you can add as a topper raw organs. Like 1/4cup per day to start n up it to 1/2 later. Start slow. Make sure you calculate the raw as part of their meal. Organs is a great source of probiotics. That being said, everyday I use a paper towel n dry Jake’s wrinkles. The key is dry them up to keep the stains dry or it will smell n turn “yeasty.“

Other members will post what works for their dogs. Hang on :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
In our experience, tear stains are usually caused by food allergy.
What food are you feeding and what kind of treats are you giving?
FWIW, tear stains can be cleared up with Tylan powder...1/8-1/4 Teaspoon once daily with food for 2 weeks will clear it up. How this works I have no idea. I do know that it works EVERY time. The problem is sourcing the Tylan. We are still using a large bottle we've had for many years...before it became a scrip only product.
In order to prevent them from returning you'll need to find out what's causing them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Greta advice from Chip and Helene.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.