Help Needed! Tail Surgery- Is it worth it?

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!

My 3 year old had his consultation for tail amputation today. The doctor mentioned that there is no guarantee that it will prevent/rid of infection. Thatā€™s the whole reason why I wanted to do the surgery; Iā€™ve tried everything, including the essential oil recipe and nothing is ridding of his infection.

Has anyone experienced tail pocket infections post surgery? Should I risk the surgery and just maintain his infection?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stutzmke

Apr 27, 2019
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley
I am interested in hearing from other's on this topic as well. My English bulldog is 1 1/2 and it currently going through her 2nd tail pocket infection. We clean it daily and have the animax and a holistic cream but it still gets infected. The vet recommended tail removal surgery but I am very hesitant on doing this. Does anyone else have recommendations or can share what they have used that has worked on keeping the tail pockets clean and reducing infections.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello!

My 3 year old had his consultation for tail amputation today. The doctor mentioned that there is no guarantee that it will prevent/rid of infection. Thatā€™s the whole reason why I wanted to do the surgery; Iā€™ve tried everything, including the essential oil recipe and nothing is ridding of his infection.

Has anyone experienced tail pocket infections post surgery? Should I risk the surgery and just maintain his infection?
Thank you Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really puzzles me the EO mixture didnā€™t work. A few of us on here did it n it works. And yes we maintaining the doggy tails. My holistic vet asked me for the mixture for her clients cause she saw first hand it worked n we avoided an amputation on Nyala. BUT that being said, You do have pets like humans that some bodies will fight oils, meds off. Can you refresh my memory what heā€™s fed?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
It really puzzles me the EO mixture didnā€™t work. A few of us on here did it n it works. And yes we maintaining the doggy tails. My holistic vet asked me for the mixture for her clients cause she saw first hand it worked n we avoided an amputation on Nyala. BUT that being said, You do have pets like humans that some bodies will fight oils, meds off. Can you refresh my memory what heā€™s fed?

Heā€™s on raw.

I could try the essential oils again before I decide what to do. He was on 2 different antibiotics and different solutions to clean his tail, which still couldnā€™t get rid of the infection. I donā€™t mind cleaning it every day at all. Iā€™ve been doing it twice a day, but itā€™s still so smelly and wet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Heā€™s on raw.

I could try the essential oils again before I decide what to do. He was on 2 different antibiotics and different solutions to clean his tail, which still couldnā€™t get rid of the infection. I donā€™t mind cleaning it every day at all. Iā€™ve been doing it twice a day, but itā€™s still so smelly and wet.

Whatā€™s the raw ingredients? And for the mixture, is it these exact ingredients?

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae

Fractionated Coconut Oil

Now I did add Tea Tree

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Whatā€™s the raw ingredients? And for the mixture, is it these exact ingredients?

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae

Fractionated Coconut Oil

Now I did add Tea Tree

Yes, but instead of Arborvitae I use Cypress I believe?

For raw he eats beef, pork, duck, and fish. Different cuts of meat (cheek, neck, ground, heart).

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had a partial tail amputation of his very tight screw tail and reconstruction of his deep pocket. He kept getting nasty infections and we cleaned and dried him every time he poo'd. It was the best thing we did. He did get secondary infections away from his tail area (near his anal gland) that took a long time to diagnose and cure. It turned out to be a fluke, ingrown hairs, and once they were removed, no more problems! The tail surgery was a life saver for him and us.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Monty had a partial tail amputation of his very tight screw tail and reconstruction of his deep pocket. He kept getting nasty infections and we cleaned and dried him every time he poo'd. It was the best thing we did. He did get secondary infections away from his tail area (near his anal gland) that took a long time to diagnose and cure. It turned out to be a fluke, ingrown hairs, and once they were removed, no more problems! The tail surgery was a life saver for him and us.

Thank you! I feel long term it will be beneficial, but the doctor worried me when he said it might not fix the problem.

My dogā€™s tail pocket is cleaned 2/3x a day but the wipes/gauze never come out clean. My other option is to see a dermatologist, but my vet said that the dermatologist told him itā€™s usually best to get the surgery.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Have you thought about tail docking instead of total amputation? Not sure if it would work or not. Just throwing it out there.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Is your vet a bully vet? I wouldn't let any vet do surgery on my dog that wasn't. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing with Bulldogs as you don't want their spine messed up. Does your vet say he needs to amputate the whole tail? What type of tail does your dog have and does he have a deep pocket?

20150706_120833_resized_1 (1).jpg

This is Monty rear end. As you can see he still has his tail for the most part!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Is your vet a bully vet? I wouldn't let any vet do surgery on my dog that wasn't. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing with Bulldogs as you don't want their spine messed up. Does your vet say he needs to amputate the whole tail? What type of tail does your dog have and does he have a deep pocket?

View attachment 116282

This is Monty rear end. As you can see he still has his tail for the most part!

Itā€™s not my vet doing the surgery, itā€™s at a surgery hospital, so theyā€™re not breed specific but heā€™s said he has done this surgery before. My cityā€™s humane society uses this hospital for the animals as well, so Iā€™m not too concerned in that aspect. Iā€™m more curious to know if anyoneā€™s bully still has infections after surgery.

He has a screw tail and Iā€™m not sure if his tail pocket is considered deep. I can fit my finger as far down as my first knuckle when Iā€™m cleaning it. The doctor said he wonā€™t be removing the whole tail.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had to have Lambeau tail removed because it was growing back into him... infection was bad and would only get worse.

I hope all goes well for your boy.. please keep us posted

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
**update**

He had surgery today, his tail pocket was very deep, but the doctor said it went well and theyā€™re keeping him overnight. I canā€™t wait to have him back home.

Thanks again everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
**update**

He had surgery today, his tail pocket was very deep, but the doctor said it went well and theyā€™re keeping him overnight. I canā€™t wait to have him back home.

Thanks again everyone.

Great to hear it all went well.... prayers for a quick recovery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Tail is an extension of the spine. We have done numerous tail removals where the patient is left with little more than a tiny nub. The former pocket area becomes fully exposed. This is a nasty looking surgery that looks much worse than it really is. Recovery is rapid but may look bad for weeks, months.
We have yet to have an infection come back after tail removal...all removals have been 100% successful.
Best of luck with recovery!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online