Tail Pockets- What we Learned Yesterday..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I took Blue and Wellie to the vet yesterday to have them micro chipped, and because Blues tail has been very sore for the last few weeks.

I thought it was odd since we keep it clean, but with all his allergies, and because it's so tight, we thought maybe it was infected even though we couldn't see it.

Anyway, vet took a look, swabbed it and said his tail pocket was fine, it's a sprain of his actual tail (the tight little nub). She said they treat it like any other sprain and put him on Rimadyl for 7 days.
It happened because when we clean him with the wipes, we really get in there. Lesson learned, I will now wrap the wipes on a swab and clean him that way. No more fingers in his tail pocket :ashamed:..

So if you has a very tight nub of a tail, be careful with how you clean it- apparently you can sprain the tail.. :ohmy:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh WOW… Wally has been acting funny in that area. How on earth would I know if he sprained it?!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Aweee poor baby. I always take the wipe, and kinda swing/hammock it up there. LOL Hope his little booty gets better soon!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh WOW… Wally has been acting funny in that area. How on earth would I know if he sprained it?!!

How tight is his tail? Can you see if it's red or irritated?
We knew something was wrong because after we cleaned it the last time, he couldn't get comfortable. He would walk in circles, sit down, get up, run, come back, sit, get back up.. etc. This would go on for at least an hour. He was just acting crazy.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] thank you.

I used to do that too, but his pocket is so deep, I couldn't get it clean that way. I think the wipe on the swab is gonna work in the future. At least I hope so.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
How tight is his tail? Can you see if it's red or irritated?
We knew something was wrong because after we cleaned it the last time, he couldn't get comfortable. He would walk in circles, sit down, get up, run, come back, sit, get back up.. etc. This would go on for at least an hour. He was just acting crazy.

I will have to take a pic of it… it's not exactly a bun, kind of like a braid :blink: I can't really see if it's red, I will have to wait till the kids come home to restrain him… Lol He acts weird if I touch near that area of course.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Wow, thanks for sharing this. I clean Goob's tail pocket with a wipe over my fingers. It is VERY tight up there. I had no idea that I could sprain his tail. Thanks for sharing!!!! I'm going to be WAY more careful. Thanks for letting us know the symptoms of a sprained tail, too!! Hope Blue is able to get comfy now!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks for posting that--it's so good to know! I also really get in there when I clean Winnie's tail pocket, and it's hard because her tail is so tight. So when y'all say "swab" what do you mean--like a q-tip?

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Our old vet was pretty convinced the same thing happened to frank and he doesn't even have a super tight tail. his screw tail sticks out a bit. he wouldn't let me wipe him for about 4-5 days, but after that he was fine. I thought it might have happened because of the way he sits right on his butt like a human (see signature pic below lol), but still not sure. I am more careful now when I wipe his booty!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Our old vet was pretty convinced the same thing happened to frank and he doesn't even have a super tight tail. his screw tail sticks out a bit. he wouldn't let me wipe him for about 4-5 days, but after that he was fine. I thought it might have happened because of the way he sits right on his butt like a human (see signature pic below lol), but still not sure. I am more careful now when I wipe his booty!

Ours sit like that too, but I don't think they sit on their tails. At least not Blue.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for sharing, this is great information to know. Our guys don't have a tail pocket, so I don't have experience with this. I hope Blue feels better soon.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] thank you. I hope he does too. i'm getting nervous that his tail pocket's gonna get infected while the tail heals. it's a no-win for my poor baby.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I took Blue and Wellie to the vet yesterday to have them micro chipped, and because Blues tail has been very sore for the last few weeks.

I thought it was odd since we keep it clean, but with all his allergies, and because it's so tight, we thought maybe it was infected even though we couldn't see it.

Anyway, vet took a look, swabbed it and said his tail pocket was fine, it's a sprain of his actual tail (the tight little nub). She said they treat it like any other sprain and put him on Rimadyl for 7 days.
It happened because when we clean him with the wipes, we really get in there. Lesson learned, I will now wrap the wipes on a swab and clean him that way. No more fingers in his tail pocket :ashamed:..

So if you has a very tight nub of a tail, be careful with how you clean it- apparently you can sprain the tail.. :ohmy:

thx for the info. Hope Blue feels better soon.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION] thank you, me too. hate seeing him in pain.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online