General Question Tail Pocket

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Our bullie doesn't have a tail that sticks out but she obviously still has a tailbone and pocket. Our vet said her tail bone has grown in crooked (with a bend) and so in that bend is where she developed an infection due to moisture/yeast. We've started adding gold bond medicated powder to her cleaning routine and that really seemed to help her discomfort. Our questions are how often should she be cleaned and also has anyone chosen surgery for their bullie in this type of scenario? The surgery option was presented by our vet who explained they would cut the part of the tailbone that's grown crooked to avoid further moisture build up and ultimately infection again.

Thanks for any info/help you can share!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi there, there's a lot of people on here who clean the tail pockets every day. I don't have any experience with the tail surgery but will tag some people that have.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We haven't had surgery but we clean Tyson's tail pocket every single day with Witch Hazel wipes. I'll apply gold bond or destin as needed.

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
We were recommended to use q-tips to clean her pocket, think that's ok? And how do you know when adding gold bond or desitin is "needed"? I'm still not completely sure when to reapply.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I think amputation should be a last resort -- their tails are connected to their spines and the surgery can have complications. I clean Ruckus daily with malacetic wipes and make sure to wash his tail pocket thoroughly at bath time. Once you get the infection under control it's easier to manage. Just make sure whatever you're using is self-drying so you aren't getting yeast build up from the area remaining moist.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We were recommended to use q-tips to clean her pocket, think that's ok? And how do you know when adding gold bond or desitin is "needed"? I'm still not completely sure when to reapply.

Yes, I use q-tips to apply the destin... and wipes to clean. I only apply it if I can see its getting a little red. That' usually nips it in time before it gets any worse. If you see its a nice pink color you are fine.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had just the tip of his tail amputated and what I call cosmetic surgery on his pocket. The tail still looks the same but has made the world of difference. Also no more pocket and it doesn't need cleaning at all hardly, just like a normal dog! His vet does not like to do full amputations unless there is absolutely no other option. It can cause other problems apparently.
20150706_120833_resized_1 (1).jpg

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I clean Winnie's tail pocket every day. My vet said that tail amputation should only be considered as the very last resort because the complications can be severe, including possible fecal incontinence. I know some members here have had the surgery on their dogs and I don't recall any of them having bad complications. It really isn't so bad cleaning the tail pocket once you get used to it. I wipe Winnie's with Malacetic wipes, then put a little squirt of A&D cream with a syringe.
image.jpg
Lots of cheesy treats and now she loves to do it! Makes it a lot easier.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn had his tail partially amputated a couple yrs ago b/c of the chronic tail pocket infections. The surgery went very well and he's doing great now. I still do clean his "tail" area b/c i've noticed that he is still prone to little hot spots and sores even though he no longer has the curly-Q part. I have been using malacetic wipes on the area.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
we just had it done a month ago.. our rescue dog had one of the worst infections the vet told us.. he was on 3 rounds of antibiotics and daily cleanings, even was sedated once by vet so she can clean it.. but it never helped.. his would ooze puss and blood.. it smelled horrible.. its is one of the reasons i took him.. he was only a year old and made me mad that no one would get him the treatment he needed.. i tried everything possible before we choice surgery .. but now i am glad its done.. hes so much better.. i can show pictures of before and after later.. his a happy boy now..

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
we got our girl at 8 weeks and she never actually had a tail whatsoever..so I assume the surgery is more of the bone that we can't visibly see..is that how urs was?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I hope this isn't too forward of me to ask but do you mind sharing how much the surgery cost and if you have pet insurance?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online