Brunob

Sep 25, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hello!

I have a 2 year old English bulldog that we adopted in January and am in need of some advice for tail pocket upkeep. His is very deep! The vet has told us that a few times. He had a tail pocket infection when we got him and the vet gave us an antibiotic and chlorahexadine wash. We did the antibiotics for a few days before using the wash to hopefully eliminate some of the burning feeling. It seemed things cleared up for a bit but it has continued to bother him. When I use the chlorahexidine wash he runs and sits and wonā€™t get up - I think sitting and putting pressure helps the discomfort. It breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable. I would like to eliminate this wash all together and am looking for a maintenance routine - any suggestions on a wash or creams etc that can help soothe afterwards?

Bruno and I appreciate it!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow isn't very tight... so I use a sensitive skin wipe to clean it, then I add a small amount of Gold's Bond powder to keep it dry. I put the powder in a ketchup bottle to make it easier to use...

You could also use Desitin cream to the area after you clean it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello!

I have a 2 year old English bulldog that we adopted in January and am in need of some advice for tail pocket upkeep. His is very deep! The vet has told us that a few times. He had a tail pocket infection when we got him and the vet gave us an antibiotic and chlorahexadine wash. We did the antibiotics for a few days before using the wash to hopefully eliminate some of the burning feeling. It seemed things cleared up for a bit but it has continued to bother him. When I use the chlorahexidine wash he runs and sits and wonā€™t get up - I think sitting and putting pressure helps the discomfort. It breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable. I would like to eliminate this wash all together and am looking for a maintenance routine - any suggestions on a wash or creams etc that can help soothe afterwards?

Bruno and I appreciate it!

Hello & WELCOME

My brindle Nyala has a TP issue since a pup n 5 today. Iā€™ve been doing this recipe n it avoided her getting her tail amputated. WORKS!
She had blood, slim, smells very sour etc... She was to the point her tail needed to be removed but I said no n wanted to try oils first. Iā€™ve been doing oils for years so I knew I can make something for her. Well to this day sheā€™s great. Sadly itā€™s an extra maintenance but she has her tail.

At first you will need to clean the tail every 2nd day till infection is gone, blood stopped etc. I would say a good weekish. Then do every 3rd day for another weekish. ETC. Bare in mind you need to keep track what is the best tracking days. Ex: every 3 days or once a week....Nyala is once a week. Was a year she went to once a month but then back to once a week. When I see her sit on her tail n do the wiggles I know it needs to be clean. Or if itā€™s that sour smell cleaning time... Definitely I didnā€™t want her on antibiotics as that kills their immune system. Why you need to always add to a dogs meals fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to balance their gut flora.

If youā€™re NOT sure of an oil please ask!! Not all oils are for pets. Why I rather you ask :) BTW this recipe is also for keeping the EARS clean.

Essential Oils n I use the brand DoTerra. You can use Young Living which is more expensive for same quality.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae ( if you can find use thuja which is in the evergreen family)

Get some Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear on n fill a 4-5oz bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Add all your oils, SHAKE WELL. I use fragrance free baby wipes dip a corner of the wipe in oil mix n yes Nyalaā€™s TP is very deep too...n go all the way inside till you feel the wall of the back tail wall n wipe. Repeat till wipe comes out clean. Do not dip dirty tail guk in the oil just use another clean wipe or opposite corner of wipe.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can use witch hazel on a cotton pad too.

my Lambeau had this as a pup and we ended up having to remove his tail as it was growing back into his body. Keep watch on the are to ensure there is a bigger issue

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hello & WELCOME

My brindle Nyala has a TP issue since a pup n 5 today. Iā€™ve been doing this recipe n it avoided her getting her tail amputated. WORKS!
She had blood, slim, smells very sour etc... She was to the point her tail needed to be removed but I said no n wanted to try oils first. Iā€™ve been doing oils for years so I knew I can make something for her. Well to this day sheā€™s great. Sadly itā€™s an extra maintenance but she has her tail.

At first you will need to clean the tail every 2nd day till infection is gone, blood stopped etc. I would say a good weekish. Then do every 3rd day for another weekish. ETC. Bare in mind you need to keep track what is the best tracking days. Ex: every 3 days or once a week....Nyala is once a week. Was a year she went to once a month but then back to once a week. When I see her sit on her tail n do the wiggles I know it needs to be clean. Or if itā€™s that sour smell cleaning time... Definitely I didnā€™t want her on antibiotics as that kills their immune system. Why you need to always add to a dogs meals fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to balance their gut flora.

If youā€™re NOT sure of an oil please ask!! Not all oils are for pets. Why I rather you ask :) BTW this recipe is also for keeping the EARS clean.

Essential Oils n I use the brand DoTerra. You can use Young Living which is more expensive for same quality.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae ( if you can find use thuja which is in the evergreen family)

Get some Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear on n fill a 4-5oz bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Add all your oils, SHAKE WELL. I use fragrance free baby wipes dip a corner of the wipe in oil mix n yes Nyalaā€™s TP is very deep too...n go all the way inside till you feel the wall of the back tail wall n wipe. Repeat till wipe comes out clean. Do not dip dirty tail guk in the oil just use another clean wipe or opposite corner of wipe.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

How long will the mix last in the bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I use witch hazel and a cotton pad now to keep Brisketā€™s clean, and then use Squishface wrinkle paste. I use it for his tear stains to keep them dry, and his tail pocket, and I havenā€™t had any issue. I clean and apply clean every night and his is pretty deep as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
How long will the mix last in the bottle?

If you mean as an expiration date NO date as itā€™s essential oils. Unless you keep it for years... :) IF you mean in usage, depends how many times I need to clean Nyalaā€™s tail. Sheā€™s back at once a week of cleaning n that mix will late a 2-3 months. Depending on her. Summer is more cleaning n winter is less.

I was asked n PM a few times, why not just do the surgery n get it over with. Iā€™m doing the oil way so she doesnā€™t have to go through surgery, infections, stitches especially having her sedated etc... since I use oils for all sorts, itā€™s simply just another tasks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If you mean as an expiration date NO date as itā€™s essential oils. Unless you keep it for years... :) IF you mean in usage, depends how many times I need to clean Nyalaā€™s tail. Sheā€™s back at once a week of cleaning n that mix will late a 2-3 months. Depending on her. Summer is more cleaning n winter is less.

I was asked n PM a few times, why not just do the surgery n get it over with. Iā€™m doing the oil way so she doesnā€™t have to go through surgery, infections, stitches especially having her sedated etc... since I use oils for all sorts, itā€™s simply just another tasks.

Ella doesnā€™t have a tail pocket but her tail is a little tight and Iā€™ve been having issues with keeping underneath the tail and on the sides clean. Sometimes she scoots her butt and I know itā€™s not anal glands. Iā€™m going to give the EO mix a try!

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
I use neen oil. I put it on a cotton ball and clean his pocket with the oil. It works wonders.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ella doesnā€™t have a tail pocket but her tail is a little tight and Iā€™ve been having issues with keeping underneath the tail and on the sides clean. Sometimes she scoots her butt and I know itā€™s not anal glands. Iā€™m going to give the EO mix a try!

Nyalaā€™s scoots too n thatā€™s one of her sign it needs cleaning. Since Ella is doing dog shows, definitely go that route. Iā€™ve noticed with the years of cleaning Nyalaā€™s tail is much more open compared in the early years. Also her butt grew cause sheā€™s older. I always wear a glove n have my nails cut short.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I use neen oil. I put it on a cotton ball and clean his pocket with the oil. It works wonders.

Neem oil is good for fungal infections but also has a low toxicity substance. It can cause allergic reactions, like contact dermatitis.
Why I rather do my mix cause I do Nyalaā€™s tail often n also I donā€™t want Jake licking her yingyang as Neem isnā€™t too good..as ingesting it.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Jackson has a very deep, corkscrew tail which we noted when we got him at 8 weeks. He is now 15 months old. I was "anal" ( excuse the pun) about keeping it clean. Used baby wipes, dried it with a soft towel then use wrinkle paste ( Destitin is fine). He has never gotten an infection, but when it needs cleaning, he certainly lets us know. Scooting, sticking his butt in my face, jumping in circles. As soon as I bring out the wipes and cream, his tongue starts going and he sits. I clean it now about every 3-4 days, sooner if he "asks" or if he has had any loose stools. All good advice here.

Jdavis

Aug 23, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Finally! My people! Haha nobody around us has a bulldog, so...i nobody has any good advice for the tail pocket issue! Thank you for all the helpful advice!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.