Tail Bald Patch

a_wagner617

Jun 10, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hoping someone as some insight here. My 4 year old bulldog has recently developed this bald spot (maybe abrasion?) on his tail. We think its from when he try's to scoot due to his anal glands needing to express. The issue becomes the skin is very sensitive and it bleeds easily. It's been weeks and skin won't heal or the scab breaks and we start from square one.

His diet hasn't changed in almost 2 years, we clean his tail pocket daily with anti-biotic wipes. The doctor thinks its allergy related but really seeking a second opinion from someone who might have/had this same issue. Tried of finding blood spots on our carpet & furniture and really trying to get this to heal.

Happy to answer any questions if someone has some insight! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 146

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hoping someone as some insight here. My 4 year old bulldog has recently developed this bald spot (maybe abrasion?) on his tail. We think its from when he try's to scoot due to his anal glands needing to express. The issue becomes the skin is very sensitive and it bleeds easily. It's been weeks and skin won't heal or the scab breaks and we start from square one.

His diet hasn't changed in almost 2 years, we clean his tail pocket daily with anti-biotic wipes. The doctor thinks its allergy related but really seeking a second opinion from someone who might have/had this same issue. Tried of finding blood spots on our carpet & furniture and really trying to get this to heal.

Happy to answer any questions if someone has some insight! Thank you!

My dogs used to scoot, but if he has allergies you have to address the allergies before the glands will stop!

What food is he on???
Do you rotate proteins??

Even if he has been on it for 2 years, they can develop an allergy to what they eat every day. Rotating proteins can prevent new food allergies!

You can give him a probiotics to help empty the glands, some dogs it works for some it may not.
I give my dogs Adored Beast Gut Soothe, or sometimes Four Leaf Rover Protect probiotics.

Any itchy skin??
Other allergy symptoms??

When a sore like that comes I always put Natural Dog Company Skin Soother on it, which works wonders on sores and irritated skin.

Im happy to help 🙂

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ouch! Almost looks like a interdigital cyst but on his tail. Does puss come out of it when you squeeze it? If yes and it is green or yellow that is a sign of infection. Could have started as , maybe, an ingrown hair. I’d have the vet check it out

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Are his stools firm?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am assuming that you do get his anals cleaned and you said you clean his pocket. In the pic, it looks like there is a drop of pus when I enlarge the pic. Have you tried squeezing to see is there IS pus in it? If so , I would clean it with peroxide, dry it off, Then apply NuStock and rub it in. Do this every third day.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
He's on a home cooked diet of ground beef/brown rice/veggies. It's always been ground beef. We used to use Royal Canin but after getting off of it, his tear stains disappeared.

He's on a probiotic called Perfect Poop (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6QC3TW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

No real itchy skin or any other allergies.

Oh that’s good he is off RC and on a great food. Since he improved on the home cooked diet then it’s likely not allergies since he isn’t showing other allergy symptoms.

If he has no other allergy symptoms then it could be a cyst from an ingrown hair or from him scooting instead of allergies.

If it looks infected, I would have a vet check it.

Hope it heals up soon!

OP
A

a_wagner617

Jun 10, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
His stools are firm so the probiotic is working. The cyst idea is certainly possible; there is some pus sometimes but typically a spot of blood. Sometime it bleeds just by him having his tail touch a surface even without scooting.

I think I'll run the cyst idea by the vet next week and see what they say.

Thanks all for the input!

OP
A

a_wagner617

Jun 10, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Quick update on the tail: seems to have dried out a bit more and looks better but still unsure what the issue truly is. Attached is a picture for reference.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.