Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi again George is 11 days over his tail amputation he is in general healing very well but he is still very out of sorts. He is rarely coming out of his crate except to eat and go toilet and a walk. He sometimes runs away form his food and goes back into his crate but comes straight back out to finish eating (that's strange behaviour for him). He is still doing the same sort of barking and sitting on his butt like he did before when he had infection. But it's the self imposed isolation he is doing that is worrying me most. He's off all medication now too. Is it possible he is numb back there? Or any ideas what the problem could be?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
11 days in.... he should be in good shape and recovered. It is possible there is some numbing if a nerve was damaged or cut during the procedure.
When lambeau had his done... within two weeks he was right back to his normal self.

I'm going to tag Henny and Cheryl for there insight on how their babies recovered too

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
That is very unusual. Vegas was trying to climb the furniture 3 days post op. This seems quite serious. I would take him in and have him evaluated. This concerns me.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
He can jump up on furniture no problem it's like he gets darts of pain or some sort of annoyance in his tail end and runs back to his crate. He's fine on walks as well but it's so warm here right now I have to leave it till later in the evening to walk him. He is to go back on Friday for another check up so I will ask then if anything could be wrong like nerve damage (I couldn't cope if he has anymore problems with this the poor dog is just not catching a break). I have tried to play with him and he just looks at me and lies back down. He goes outside to his paddling pool but after about 3 to 4 mins runs back inside.
Currently I'm sitting watching tv and he is normally in here with me but not since the op, now he stays in the crate.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He can jump up on furniture no problem it's like he gets darts of pain or some sort of annoyance in his tail end and runs back to his crate. He's fine on walks as well but it's so warm here right now I have to leave it till later in the evening to walk him. He is to go back on Friday for another check up so I will ask then if anything could be wrong like nerve damage (I couldn't cope if he has anymore problems with this the poor dog is just not catching a break). I have tried to play with him and he just looks at me and lies back down. He goes outside to his paddling pool but after about 3 to 4 mins runs back inside.
Currently I'm sitting watching tv and he is normally in here with me but not since the op, now he stays in the crate.

Strange, indeed. If that were my guy I would think something was up to... Lambeau is always where we are, never not in the same room or laying next to us.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Strange, indeed. If that were my guy I would think something was up to... Lambeau is always where we are, never not in the same room or laying next to us.

I don't know much about it but I think the best way to describe it is it's as if he is depressed. He was never big on being in close contact with us but this is like he wants to be with us but wants the safety/comfort of the crate I guess he feels safe in there. He can still see me from his crate but it is in another room. I guess I will have to ask on Friday if there's any possibility of something having gone wrong, but it looks to be healing well and fast I can see improvements daily in the wound just not in the dog if you get me.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wondering if it is itchy or tight from healing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Wondering if it is itchy or tight from healing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This mirrors my thoughts...along with depression. This is serious surgery and depending on the severity of the tail issue, some dogs recover more quickly than others.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
This mirrors my thoughts...along with depression. This is serious surgery and depending on the severity of the tail issue, some dogs recover more quickly than others.
It was fairly severe surgery but he recovered very quickly from his neutering surgery so this surprised me but I do understand neutering is a fairly minor procedure as surgeries go.
If it is depression is it from the surgery? How would I know this? Just hoping it's the itch from the wound healing up that's all.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If it is depression is it from the surgery? How would I know this? Just hoping it's the itch from the wound healing up that's all.
Very good question...it's not one I can answer definitively but I'd guess...if he IS depressed it would be from the pain from the surgery and possibly from withdrawal from the pain meds. General anethstsia can also cause lingering effects on the brain. He'll get past it in time. I assume he has a follow-up coming soon???

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Very good question...it's not one I can answer definitively but I'd guess...if he IS depressed it would be from the pain from the surgery and possibly from withdrawal from the pain meds. General anethstsia can also cause lingering effects on the brain. He'll get past it in time. I assume he has a follow-up coming soon???
Thank you I was kinda hoping it would only be from the surgery so I reckon if he is feeling a bit down he will come out of it soon. He had a check up after 2 days and then a week and he has another this Friday so I will mention all this if he hasn't come round by then. Yes he has been on pain meds on and off for 2 months now and antibiotics so I think it is slight withdrawal symptoms. The only reason I thought of depression was I remember my aunt had a dog (a Yorkshire terrier) clipped once and the dog was hiding all the time and the vet told her that it was embarrassed so I guess they do feel emotions and have good and bad days like the rest of us (not trying to humanise dogs) they live in our homes as companions so they must feel something and if they have major surgery I guess that takes a mental toll as well as physical.
Everyone is so helpful and understanding here, thank you.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I don't know much about it but I think the best way to describe it is it's as if he is depressed. He was never big on being in close contact with us but this is like he wants to be with us but wants the safety/comfort of the crate I guess he feels safe in there. He can still see me from his crate but it is in another room. I guess I will have to ask on Friday if there's any possibility of something having gone wrong, but it looks to be healing well and fast I can see improvements daily in the wound just not in the dog if you get me.
I wonder if it could be phantom pain. Sending prayers to you. I hope you find an answer with your vet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I wonder if it could be phantom pain. Sending prayers to you. I hope you find an answer with your vet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes a lady I work with mentioned that possibility too I'm not ruling anything out at this point. It's like I don't have a dog anymore, for want of a better way of describing it, as he has isolated himself. Thank you for the reply all are taken on board as possibles.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Yes a lady I work with mentioned that possibility too I'm not ruling anything out at this point. It's like I don't have a dog anymore, for want of a better way of describing it, as he has isolated himself. Thank you for the reply all are taken on board as possibles.

I hope all gets better. Still sending prayers and positive vibes for your bully's recovery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.