Suddenly started pooping in crate at night, why!

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Hi Everyone!

Our boy is 5 months old and I can honestly say, since the day we brought him home at 10 weeks old, he has been an absolute breeze to train. He instantly took to his crate, and never cried during the night. I even used to come downstairs at about 3am to let him out and he was happily asleep and didn't want to go out. So I decided to test the time a bit longer and longer each night. From about 3 months old, he slept right through the night with no accidents.

About a week ago, he had an upset stomach and had an accident in his crate. After a day his stomach was much better, but he then started developing symptoms of kennel cough, which was getting worse. He is now on antibiotics and is already much better. HOWEVER, during the night, he is pooping and peeing in his crate, this has been happening every night. According to the vet, this isn't a side effect of his antibiotics.

I'm just trying to figure out what it could be. He is so happy and playful and really well behaved at all times, it just is now going wrong at night. I'm wondering if he's just feeling a bit poorly or stressed maybe and is then just going without realising?

if anyone has any similar stories or could maybe shed some light I would much appreciate it.

Thank you
Jeyda

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I know my dog had some accidents when she was feeling poorly the first couple of days after her spaying operation and then she was good.

If he is having diarrhea you should get him checked for giardia, since it is very common in puppies and he could have picked that up at the same time he picked up teh kennel cough. Treatment for that is is usually fenbendazole plus metronidazole, usually for 5 days repeated at least once. And it's important to bathe dog from head to toe and disinfect surroundings and toys to prevent reinfection if he has that.

Since he's on antibiotics it's definitely worth adding a doggie probiotic such as Proviable DC or Probiotic Miracle, or give some milk kefir or live fermented vegetable such as live raw sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store. Continue that entire time he is on antibiotics and for at least 5-7 days after.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18480]Clivey[/MENTION] Anyone can have that kind of reaction to an antibiotic,because everyone is different. I don't see how the Dr. can tell you not. I agree with [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sOwner that a probiotic would be good. My dogs get a pb. with their dinner ever night(on their food)

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
I know my dog had some accidents when she was feeling poorly the first couple of days after her spaying operation and then she was good.

If he is having diarrhea you should get him checked for giardia, since it is very common in puppies and he could have picked that up at the same time he picked up teh kennel cough. Treatment for that is is usually fenbendazole plus metronidazole, usually for 5 days repeated at least once. And it's important to bathe dog from head to toe and disinfect surroundings and toys to prevent reinfection if he has that.

Since he's on antibiotics it's definitely worth adding a doggie probiotic such as Proviable DC or Probiotic Miracle, or give some milk kefir or live fermented vegetable such as live raw sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store. Continue that entire time he is on antibiotics and for at least 5-7 days after.

Thankfully he hasn't got diarrhea which is why I'm confused, but possibly after reading this it could literally be that he's just not feeling too good and not really thinking about it. This is a really helpful response thank you. I have given him probiotics before, but I will definitely start adding it back. Thanks again for your post, appreciate the help!

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
[MENTION=18480]Clivey[/MENTION] Anyone can have that kind of reaction to an antibiotic,because everyone is different. I don't see how the Dr. can tell you not. I agree with [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sOwner that a probiotic would be good. My dogs get a pb. with their dinner ever night(on their food)

To be honest, I'm always sceptical over what the Vet says which is why I thought I'd ask on here. Thank you for the post, am definitely going to start adding a pb to his food and see if it helps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.