Sudden limp and regular collapse

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hello, my baby boy is now 6 years and has developed a limp on his left rear leg. In the house he seems fine in himself and limp isnā€™t seen. When outside however he often falls onto his side urinates and struggles to get back up. He looks confused when this happens but has never cried in pain or show discomfort
We took him to the vet who said there was a swelling at his knee and gave us metacam to be taken once per day. Weā€™ve been very luck in his health this far and never experienced anything like this.
Has anyone had similar with their bull that could give us some light into what might be happening?

Thanks in advance!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, my baby boy is now 6 years and has developed a limp on his left rear leg. In the house he seems fine in himself and limp isnā€™t seen. When outside however he often falls onto his side urinates and struggles to get back up. He looks confused when this happens but has never cried in pain or show discomfort
We took him to the vet who said there was a swelling at his knee and gave us metacam to be taken once per day. Weā€™ve been very luck in his health this far and never experienced anything like this.
Has anyone had similar with their bull that could give us some light into what might be happening?

Thanks in advance!

Did they rule out seizures? That might explain why he looks confused and urinates. Just a thought.

Does he have arthritis in his knee?

For joint pain, Green Lipped Mussels are the best for any joint issues or arthritis in the joints. One of my dogs was always limping from her arthritis but since the Green Lipped Mussels I started her on a year ago, no more limping.

For pain CBD oil is good. Also if he had seizures the CBD oil is really helpful for that too.

Every time the vet tells us to give metacam for pain or inflammation, I give CBD oil and not the metacam as the metacam has many side effects including kidney disease. I have found the CBD oil actually works way better than the metacam and it doesnā€™t have the side effects like Metacam does.

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Did they rule out seizures? That might explain why he looks confused and urinates. Just a thought.

Does he have arthritis in his knee?

For joint pain, Green Lipped Mussels are the best for any joint issues or arthritis in the joints. One of my dogs was always limping from her arthritis but since the Green Lipped Mussels I started her on a year ago, no more limping.

For pain CBD oil is good. Also if he had seizures the CBD oil is really helpful for that too.

Every time the vet tells us to give metacam for pain or inflammation, I give CBD oil and not the metacam as the metacam has many side effects including kidney disease. I have found the CBD oil actually works way better than the metacam and it doesnā€™t have the side effects like Metacam does.
I find it strange that heā€™s fine in himself but then just collapses outside peeing on himself as he falls has a moment then up again, Iā€™ve ordered the green tipped mussels to use
Iā€™ll look into the cbd also.
Just find it all overwhelming to see him like this ā€¦ I feel the vet gave us 10 mins of his time then sent us off which is frustrating when we are paying for advice and help šŸ˜­

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I find it strange that heā€™s fine in himself but then just collapses outside peeing on himself as he falls has a moment then up again, Iā€™ve ordered the green tipped mussels to use
Iā€™ll look into the cbd also.
Just find it all overwhelming to see him like this ā€¦ I feel the vet gave us 10 mins of his time then sent us off which is frustrating when we are paying for advice and help šŸ˜­

The green lipped mussels you ordered is freeze dried green lipped mussel powder?? Thatā€™s what I used, which one did you order?

I totally understand, itā€™s so frustrating when you pay the high get $$$$ just to see them and sometimes itā€™s only for 1 question, or 10 minutes of the time, which itā€™s usually 30 min appointment, thatā€™s why I switched vets a long time ago.

Does your vet know Bulldogs??

Maybe itā€™s time to get another vets opinion? But it does sound like possibly a seizure and the limping from the swollen knee/arthritis. Iā€™m not a vet, but I have seen similar episodes.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Have you had him checked for a possible neurological problem? Porkchop developed bone spurs in his back, the largest at the base of his tail. Slowly over the years, (it started at age 5 and he was a very bouncy boy, always jumping which might have caused the bone spurs), it affected his back left leg, gradually becoming weak. The initial test for neuro was easy. The vet picked up the back leg,stretched it out a little bit and then let go to see if he would put it back in its 'proper place'. Over time it became increasingly difficult. He would lose his balance, the left leg eventually dragging. Might not be your pup's issue but it might be worth checking out.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You are right to be concerned. It's possible(likely even) that there are 2 issues at hand. Did the Vet offer any explanation as to why your pup is fainting.

1. I can see how a limp is related to falling down.
2. I can see how falling down from syncope or seizure(loss of consciousness) can be related to peeing.
3. For the life of me, I cannot see how a limp is related to syncope or seizure.
If your Vet failed to make this connection then you should consider a smarter Vet...one that will devote the time necessary to give a full, more thorough exam & diagnosis.

Did Vet mention the possibility of a heart related issue? Did Vet determine why the knee was swollen? Did he examine the hips, patella, ligaments? Is your pup over weight?

Please report back what comes of this...and please post pics...we like pics.

TY & GL!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I hope all goes well with Bruno. Maybe go to another Vet for a second opinion and spend time with you listening to your concerns.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Brunosmummy I agree with @oscarmayer With your description,(outside)the first thing I thought of was seizure.
Seems like many Vets today do not take the time to think and sell the meds right away. He may have a knee problem, but what he is doing outside does sound like a seizure. See if you can video when it happens so you can show ANOTHER veterinarian ! The mussels should help his leg.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I was the first one to think itā€™s a seizure, my vet also didnā€™t know he was having a seizure and I ended up taking him to the neurologist for MRI, he screamed randomly, and peed(this was NOT intentional, this was also on the couch and on me), but since he had head tremors in the past, he is always alert, during this episode, he was NOT alert and was confused after each episode.

Thatā€™s why my first thought was your dog had a seizure and also has a swollen knee if that was also diagnosed.

I ended up getting 2 vets opinions of what happened to my dog, cause no one knew if it was seizure or IVDD flare, or both, thatā€™s why I took him to neurologist to get to the bottom of this.
I highly recommend getting another vets Opinion and also get it in video if you can!

Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
So today we went to another vet who thinks the leg and falling are not connected. She could see the limp is gone and although slightly swollen no concern as sees it as age
She gave him a proper going over unlike the previous vet and feel much more confident in her practice so now will continue with them. She thinks he may have an inner ear infection which we havenā€™t noticed and can cause swelling and put pressure on the brain causing the fall. Iā€™m not 100% as not heard this before but Weā€™ve been given medicated ear drops and to carry the metacam for 2 more days then switch to a steroid to try and reduce any inner ear inflammation and take it from there. Iā€™m open to anything from her! She asked us to video any falls which I will try capture and never thought to do this previously as we were in such a panic
Weā€™ve not had any episodes today although been a lot of carrying and resting and at 36kg is certainly not a rest for us šŸ˜‚ heā€™s certainly worth it though!
At the vets today was busy with all breeds but when looking around I can certainly say we are all so lucky to have such an amazing breed ā¤ļøā¤ļø

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So today we went to another vet who thinks the leg and falling are not connected. She could see the limp is gone and although slightly swollen no concern as sees it as age
She gave him a proper going over unlike the previous vet and feel much more confident in her practice so now will continue with them. She thinks he may have an inner ear infection which we havenā€™t noticed and can cause swelling and put pressure on the brain causing the fall. Iā€™m not 100% as not heard this before but Weā€™ve been given medicated ear drops and to carry the metacam for 2 more days then switch to a steroid to try and reduce any inner ear inflammation and take it from there. Iā€™m open to anything from her! She asked us to video any falls which I will try capture and never thought to do this previously as we were in such a panic
Weā€™ve not had any episodes today although been a lot of carrying and resting and at 36kg is certainly not a rest for us šŸ˜‚ heā€™s certainly worth it though!
At the vets today was busy with all breeds but when looking around I can certainly say we are all so lucky to have such an amazing breed ā¤ļøā¤ļø
yes, it can happen -- deep inner ear infection can cause confusion and balance issue. Please keep us posted on how your baby is doing

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
yes, it can happen -- deep inner ear infection can cause confusion and balance issue. Please keep us posted on how your baby is doing
Agree!

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
So he has been prednisone since Sunday along with the cannular ear drops, today was another bad day with another fall and managed to record this for the vet. They are saying itā€™s the leg and the straining as heā€™s also constipated so have been given lactose
Im beginning to think thereā€™s been and ear infection yes but something must be happening with this leg or hip of his šŸ˜­ can anyone advise How I upload a video?
Thank guys!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
So he has been prednisone since Sunday along with the cannular ear drops, today was another bad day with another fall and managed to record this for the vet. They are saying itā€™s the leg and the straining as heā€™s also constipated so have been given lactose
Im beginning to think thereā€™s been and ear infection yes but something must be happening with this leg or hip of his šŸ˜­ can anyone advise How I upload a video?
Thank guys!!
Post a video on Vimeo or Youtube and post the link here.

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hello all, this morning was my baby boys time to go šŸ’” he went out at 7.30am we made it only to the front garden where he was playing only the hour before and collapsed I was able to hold him in my arms and was very quick

Iā€™d like to thank you all on this forum, the support is amazing and will always be a bullmom ā¤ļø

My baby boys last picture taken just yesterday

Attachments

• 5138DD86-58E7-4DE0-84F8-134F6F185281.jpeg
    5138DD86-58E7-4DE0-84F8-134F6F185281.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online