Help Needed! Stubbornness creating safety issues

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Hi all-

I am in need of advice. Over the past couple of months, my bully 3.5-year old bully has become super stubborn. When walking, if something catches his attention (usually a person or another dog) he stops and will not budge. This has become a safety issue. For example, walking alone at night, crossing the street, or running into people too interested in my pup for comfort. Hoping you get what I mean here.

I want him to enjoy walks. It’s okay to stop and sniff, investigate things while walking. However, there are times when we need to keep it moving. Things I have tried include: 1) not breaking my stride when walking, 2) dragging along, 3) blocking view/distracting with my body, and 4) squeak toys. Finley is nearly 50 pounds (22 kg) of muscle so you can imagine how poorly the first two panned. The loud squeak toy success rate is around 30%.

I get the stubbornness is a breed trait. Additionally, I do not want to cause harm by dragging or anxiety from a shake can. Recommendations are welcome.

Many thanks!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
I've got a 6 year old boy that has that problem sometimes. I have found that if you have something that interests him (i.e. a nice stick or something he showed interest in outside), I pick it up and hold it while walking. He won't take his eyes off of it and keeps walking as long as I have it or he thinks I have it. Try that and see what happens. And good luck. Just gotta be patient. Easier said than done with bulldogs huh? LOL.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=18933]tigertanktoo[/MENTION] Thanks for the tip.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is a tough one…. My Frenchie does this at times too and I have had to give a little pat on the butt to get him moving again, but at times he will not budge. Luckily, being small I can scoop him up.

I’d try a high value treat, let him know you have it but do give to you finish the walk. Then high praise with treat as the reward at end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online