GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
I was wondering if anyone else has to do this to their bulldog.

I've noticed that Izellah sheds a lot in the spring and fall but almost never a single hair is noticed in the winter time. Last year fall and this spring, I've had to strip her coat by hand. Although she isn't a breed with a wire coat (I think) her undercoat becomes so prominent and it makes her look extremely discoloured (she is a dark chocolate brown but when her undercoat has to go, it looks like a very light caramel).

When I strip her coat, it all comes out in very loose chunks but she is never left bald. The remaining coat stays in tack and it is shinny and healthy looking. Seems like I only have to do this twice a year. Is this normal? I've tried to remove the undercoat with different tools... fulminator, comb, brush, wire hair remover... nothing works as well as just doing it by hand. I lay her down and pull on the light coloured hairs. Sometimes I have to work against the fur on the dense parts of her coat like her back leading towards her butt. I've almost worked through her entire coat and she looks a lot better now.

I was scared at first because I thought something was wrong with her but then I realized that only the undercoat is coming out. I tried researching on it but I couldn't find anything other than for wire haired dogs.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Castor sheds, what comes out is the undercoat. At least it is much more downy and light in colour than his coat. I use a furminator a couple of times each spring and leave the fur balls in our garden. Birds soon come and pick it up for their nests.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All animals with fur blow their coat twice a year.. usually spring and fall. I use the Kong zoom groom during this time ... circular motion... fur drops easily and coat is left soft and shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Thank you! I had no idea. :)

Will it be like this when she gets older as well? A ton of hair came off, I had to empty the vacuum 3 times.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I had no idea. :)

Will it be like this when she gets older as well? A ton of hair came off, I had to empty the vacuum 3 times.

Yep.. every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I use a furminator twice a week right now and bathe once a week plus swimming...and get numerous fistfuls of hair every time!! Cinder has a gorgeous coat and plenty to spare!!!!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.