Staring at the ceiling

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Hey everyone hope yā€™all are staying safe and well. Millie has been acting strange for a few days now. She has been staring at the ceiling like she sees something and is scared. She has always been a really nervous dog but this seems different. At first I thought it was because it was windy and the trees blowing around were making her nervous but now she is doing it inside as well. Iā€™ve read on line that it could be a few things or just anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this? Millie is 1 1/2 years old, got spayed about 3 months ago and her routine has changed since COVID-19 as all ours have. The only thing else I have noticed is that she has been licking her paws more than normal which may or may not be related. I plan on taking her to the vet Monday but thought Iā€™d ask here, thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey everyone hope yā€™all are staying safe and well. Millie has been acting strange for a few days now. She has been staring at the ceiling like she sees something and is scared. She has always been a really nervous dog but this seems different. At first I thought it was because it was windy and the trees blowing around were making her nervous but now she is doing it inside as well. Iā€™ve read on line that it could be a few things or just anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this? Millie is 1 1/2 years old, got spayed about 3 months ago and her routine has changed since COVID-19 as all ours have. The only thing else I have noticed is that she has been licking her paws more than normal which may or may not be related. I plan on taking her to the vet Monday but thought Iā€™d ask here, thanks.

What do you feed her? Jake has anxiety n he doesnā€™t stare anywhere. Just me to see if Iā€™m going to the kitchen. His anxiety is more on the nervous side. He was an outside dog n 9months ago when I brought him home was too much to take in. From a farm to a city. Why i donā€™t think yours have anxiety. English bulldogs do odd things that other dogs do do. Nyala sits on the sofa and zooms out either looking outside or she sleeps sitting and staring. Paw licking is usually a sign of food issues or an allergy. Why I asked what youā€™re feeding her :)

OP
T

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
She is on Acana Singles Duck and Pear. We have great success with this food for about 6 months. I tried switching proteins within this line. She did ok with Turkey and could not tolerate the lamb. We have been back on the duck for a couple months now. I feel like the licking is not the food but I could be wrong. I hope it isnā€™t because I have no idea what other food to try at this point. I found some old thread on here about partial seizures and stargazing. This doesnā€™t seem to be this. This almost appears like hallucinations that frighten her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She is on Acana Singles Duck and Pear. We have great success with this food for about 6 months. I tried switching proteins within this line. She did ok with Turkey and could not tolerate the lamb. We have been back on the duck for a couple months now. I feel like the licking is not the food but I could be wrong. I hope it isnā€™t because I have no idea what other food to try at this point. I found some old thread on here about partial seizures and stargazing. This doesnā€™t seem to be this. This almost appears like hallucinations that frighten her.

Stay with Duck since you tried others n went back to what works. Did you check inside the paw pads n between the toes, ears or detergents.....

OP
T

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Oh yes the best I could. To me it looks yeasty but I think that itā€™s from the licking. I have been doing foot soaks for that but the licking isnā€™t better. I honestly think she does it because of stress or anxiety. She has always been really nervous and I am wondering if this dramatic change in schedules has triggered this. The vet thinks the licking is from environmental allergies which it may be. We treated with Benadryl for a week and it didnā€™t change anything.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Oh yes the best I could. To me it looks yeasty but I think that itā€™s from the licking. I have been doing foot soaks for that but the licking isnā€™t better. I honestly think she does it because of stress or anxiety. She has always been really nervous and I am wondering if this dramatic change in schedules has triggered this. The vet thinks the licking is from environmental allergies which it may be. We treated with Benadryl for a week and it didnā€™t change anything.

If she has environmental allergies antihistamines will only help a little, and cetirizine (Zyrtec,Reactine) is better to give for long term use than diphenhydramine (Benadryl). She's going to need either cytopoint injection, or immunotherapy sublingually or subcutaneously eg. Respit

My dog's paw licking didn't get better until I switched to commercial frozen raw food. Limited ingredient kibble like Acana Duck and Pear is not as good, although it's better than regular dog kibble.

OP
T

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
If she has environmental allergies antihistamines will only help a little, and cetirizine (Zyrtec,Reactine) is better to give for long term use than diphenhydramine (Benadryl). She's going to need either cytopoint injection, or immunotherapy sublingually or subcutaneously eg. Respit

My dog's paw licking didn't get better until I switched to commercial frozen raw food. Limited ingredient kibble like Acana Duck and Pear is not as good, although it's better than regular dog kibble.

Iā€™ve have really considered switching to some type of raw. It seems overwhelming with so many choices and opinions so I havenā€™t been able to make that decision.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve have really considered switching to some type of raw. It seems overwhelming with so many choices and opinions so I havenā€™t been able to make that decision.

Why donā€™t you start slowly if youā€™re not sure. Raw is definitely the best way to stop allergies. Go to your grocery store, get raw liver n tongue. Stick to beef for now. Cut them up in small pieces n add to each meal about 1/2 a cup as a topper. Full of probiotics. Do reduce 1/2 a cup of kibbles per meal. Also freeze your pieces in a little ziploc bags n thaw them out for the day. Get some raw marrow bones too.

305B73CE-EF65-4774-9AD9-279BAA17B36A.jpeg

B7AD9E5A-7D65-412B-A813-22CB2CC36E0B.jpeg

Eventually youā€™ll end up buying raw already balanced out in one pounder. 50lb dog = 1lb of raw per day. And yes same price if not less than a higher quality kibble.
21D041DD-53E5-4736-A055-7A09026D30F1.jpeg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I'll try to give you a quick summary, hopefully that's a little helpful.
1)You'll need to have a second freezer. If you just have a fridge/freezer combination you won't have enough room. Second best to frozen raw is a dehydrated raw such as Honest Kitchen, eg. they have a limited ingredient line.
2)Start with a complete diet frozen raw for simplicity. Feed 2 to 2.5 % of dog's weight per day. So if your dog weighs 60 pounds, you feed about 1.25 pounds per day. So I would semi thaw a bunch of 1 pound chubs in the fridge for a couple of hours, then cut them up into quarters and halves, and refreeze in ziplock bags. I would thaw out a day supply 24 hr ahead of time in refrigerator. I would give the dog 1/2 pound in morning and 3/4 pound at night, or vice versa. I like to mix in a bit of microwaved water to warm it up for my dog and give her more moisture.
3)Later on when you feel more familiar, you can try buying basic 80% muscle/10% bone/10% organ chubs and adding in your own salmon oil and sea kelp to make it complete, plus feed your dog extra fruit and steamed vegetables as snacks.

OP
T

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
What is a chub and where do you get them. I need a local mentor that can show me exactly what to do. Everyone on this site is so helpful but they all do it a little different so pulling the trigger had been hard for me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What is a chub and where do you get them. I need a local mentor that can show me exactly what to do. Everyone on this site is so helpful but they all do it a little different so pulling the trigger had been hard for me.

Here read the links attached on last page (12). Itā€™s a lot but read some before bed n youā€™ll know what to do. I buy mine but the day I move back home I wonā€™t able to find the ones Iā€™m feed my 2. I will end up making my own n freeze them.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach-12.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I think a chub means a salomi like tube of food, but I use it to describe a 1/2 pound or 1 pound slab of food too.

IMG_20200412_162913439.jpg chub.jpg

You can also buy 4 pound tubs or other big sizes, but I find the one pound size is most convenient for me. The hamburger size patties or even smaller sizes you can buy tend to be too expensive.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Thereā€™s a sticky thread in the raw food section here with places and links by area where you can get raw food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online