pilarmanzi

May 30, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vito
Hey all,

I just noticed my puppy's belly started to get rash-like redness and also some dark black spots.
I haven't changed anything in his diet, but he has gone into the lake a few times now (had a few hot days). The only time when I notice him scratching more than usual is immediately after coming in from a walk, but he scratches mostly around the head/ear.
Could this be allergies, infection, freckles? pic1.jpegpic2.jpeg

Thank you for any advice!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey all,

I just noticed my puppy's belly started to get rash-like redness and also some dark black spots.
I haven't changed anything in his diet, but he has gone into the lake a few times now (had a few hot days). The only time when I notice him scratching more than usual is immediately after coming in from a walk, but he scratches mostly around the head/ear.
Could this be allergies, infection, freckles? View attachment 121034View attachment 121035

Thank you for any advice!

Hello n Welcome!

I don’t see any redness. Looks like freckles. BUT….when you look under the dark area, is there a scab or something? Is his collar bothering him or nowadays what we all need to watch is the grass. A lot of people will spray their lawns of fertilizer. Dogs walk on it n will scratch themselves. Why I personally never leave my dogs walk on any lawns. Just a thought :)

Also, how old is your dog, what does he eat as meals n treats?

OP
pilarmanzi

pilarmanzi

May 30, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vito
Hello n Welcome!

I don’t see any redness. Looks like freckles. BUT….when you look under the dark area, is there a scab or something? Is his collar bothering him or nowadays what we all need to watch is the grass. A lot of people will spray their lawns of fertilizer. Dogs walk on it n will scratch themselves. Why I personally never leave my dogs walk on any lawns. Just a thought :)

Also, how old is your dog, what does he eat as meals n treats?

Thank you very much for your response!

No scabs or anything; it's 100% flat, can't feel anything special in the texture.
He does walk on some grass, so that's a good recommendation to keep him off there!

Vito is 7 months and eats Royal Canine Bulldog Puppy kibbles. As treats, we give him training bites and will throw in some apples occasionally since he really likes those. Sometimes he gets peanut butter with his Kong.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

No scabs or anything; it's 100% flat, can't feel anything special in the texture.
He does walk on some grass, so that's a good recommendation to keep him off there!

Vito is 7 months and eats Royal Canine Bulldog Puppy kibbles. As treats, we give him training bites and will throw in some apples occasionally since he really likes those. Sometimes he gets peanut butter with his Kong.

totally agree looks like skin pigmentation, black freckles. Totally normal

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I would never feed a dog anything that has the words “By Product” especially Royal Canin, Science Hill or anything from Purina. The first yr of a puppy’s life is crucial in nutrition/nutrients. It will avoid numerous health issues down the road. Stick to Acana, Zignature, Fromm or a high end kibble grain free. At the end of the day it’s up to you what you want to feed your dog. But right now, your dog isn’t getting any nutrients. Just a thought:)

This is what you’re feeding your puppy……
Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, brown rice, chicken fat, wheat gluten, oat groats, natural flavors, pork meal, dried plain beet pulp, pea fiber, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, salt, fructooligosaccharides, sodium tripolyphosphate, ...

https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_pet_food_for_your_pets_sake

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Time to switch that guy over to adult food. We have been feeding Zignature to our dogs and all of the rescues for 5 years or so. It's outstanding kibble.
Any red spots on the belly are likely contact dermatitis from grasses and the pollen that settles on the ground. A quick wipe down of the belly and paws(with baby wipes or a damp paper towel) will help. As soon as he comes inside get out those wipes. As the pollen season comes to a close, you'll find this wipe-down may not be necessary.
The dark spots are normal skin pigmentation and nothing to worry about.
How about posting a few pics of the rest of him? :yes:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online