Soft Palate surgery

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Anyone with any experience on Soft palate surgery . As much as my bully pants and gets out of breath will minimal exertion am thinking of having it performed ? Is it worth it? Is it dangerous are the benefits that great?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Haven't had palate surgery, had nares on two, and epulus surgery in mouth. How old is your bully? If too young, it could grow back. The most important is that your Veterinarian knows Bulldogs and their anesthesia requirements.
@Spanky

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
In the absence of a narrow trachea, a Bulldog with an elongated soft palate can benefit greatly from reduction surgeryā€¦perhaps adding years to their life. The surgery is usually quick and the benefits are almost immediate.
The greatest risk is post-op aspiration and pneumonia. Some dogs are nauseous from the GA. Others may vomit from choking due to wound swelling at the surgery site. The nausea & swelling usually goes away within a few days.
I recommend no food the day of surgeryā€¦small mounts of water several times during the day. Some dogs will sleep a lot post-opā€¦no big deal there. When itā€˜s time to feed start with 1/4 rations 3-4 times the first day and gradually increase to normal feeding over the next 3 days. Feed the canned equivalent to whatā€™s normally offered. If thatā€™s not available and you normally feed kibble, soak it in a little warm water for 30 minutes prior to serving.
Keep Vet on speed dial in case the patient vomits and if ANY breathing difficulties arise, GO to your Vet, any Vet right away.
Complications are rare but you need to be prepared and be diligent with postā€”op care. Follow Vets instructions firstā€¦and add my recommendations as ā€œfillerā€.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Anyone with any experience on Soft palate surgery . As much as my bully pants and gets out of breath will minimal exertion am thinking of having it performed ? Is it worth it? Is it dangerous are the benefits that great?

How old is he??

Yes my dog had the surgery, it was definitely worth it, the most important thing is that the vet is experienced with bulldogs and that specific surgery.

Swelling and in rare cases pneumonia and aspiration can happen after surgery, but all those can also happen right now too before surgery.

My dog couldnā€™t go for a 5 minute walk, choking/gagging, snoring loud, and out of breath quick and overheating.

Now after the surgery, he can race around all day long, no snoring, gasping for air, can go for longer walks, doesnt overheat and he rarely breathes with his mouth open anymore, no more choking/gagging.

He did great after his surgery, no complications, and the vet was very knowledgeable on bulldogs and does lots of these soft palate surgery.

So yes, the benefits are really great, and like any surgery very small chance of anesthesia risk.

The risks are when they have a bad airway now, they can fall over and something serious happen because they canā€™t breathe from the long soft palate, thatā€™s the biggest risk I found.

Soft food for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, canned food, raw diet(the best for dogs), or home cooked for soft foods while their throat heals. No exercise or play or walks for 3-4 weeks after surgery, thatā€™s because itā€™s still healing.

I was doing his daily portion of food over 4 meals a day, soft foods are less likly to irritate the throat while itā€™s healing(same goes for treats-no hard treats while healing).

Keep us updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Haven't had palate surgery, had nares on two, and epulus surgery in mouth. How old is your bully? If too young, it could grow back. The most important is that your Veterinarian knows Bulldogs and their anesthesia requirements.
@Spanky
20 months I realize Iā€™d have to wait a bit but he really gets winded easily

OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
In the absence of a narrow trachea, a Bulldog with an elongated soft palate can benefit greatly from reduction surgeryā€¦perhaps adding years to their life. The surgery is usually quick and the benefits are almost immediate.
The greatest risk is post-op aspiration and pneumonia. Some dogs are nauseous from the GA. Others may vomit from choking due to wound swelling at the surgery site. The nausea & swelling usually goes away within a few days.
I recommend no food the day of surgeryā€¦small mounts of water several times during the day. Some dogs will sleep a lot post-opā€¦no big deal there. When itā€˜s time to feed start with 1/4 rations 3-4 times the first day and gradually increase to normal feeding over the next 3 days. Feed the canned equivalent to whatā€™s normally offered. If thatā€™s not available and you normally feed kibble, soak it in a little warm water for 30 minutes prior to serving.
Keep Vet on speed dial in case the patient vomits and if ANY breathing difficulties arise, GO to your Vet, any Vet right away.
Complications are rare but you need to be prepared and be diligent with postā€”op care. Follow Vets instructions firstā€¦and add my recommendations as ā€œfillerā€.
Have you experienced this surgery personally ?

OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
How old is he??

Yes my dog had the surgery, it was definitely worth it, the most important thing is that the vet is experienced with bulldogs and that specific surgery.

Swelling and in rare cases pneumonia and aspiration can happen after surgery, but all those can also happen right now too before surgery.

My dog couldnā€™t go for a 5 minute walk, choking/gagging, snoring loud, and out of breath quick and overheating.

Now after the surgery, he can race around all day long, no snoring, gasping for air, can go for longer walks, doesnt overheat and he rarely breathes with his mouth open anymore, no more choking/gagging.

He did great after his surgery, no complications, and the vet was very knowledgeable on bulldogs and does lots of these soft palate surgery.

So yes, the benefits are really great, and like any surgery very small change of anesthesia risk.

The risks are when they have a bad airway now, they can fall over and something serious happen because they canā€™t breathe from the long soft palate, thatā€™s the biggest risk I found.

Soft food for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, canned food, raw diet(the best for dogs), or home cooked for soft foods while their throat heals. No exercise or play or walks for 3-4 weeks after surgery, thatā€™s because itā€™s still healing.

I was doing his daily portion of food over 4 meals a day, soft foods are less likly to irritate the throat while itā€™s healing(same goes for treats-no hard treats while healing).

Keep us updated!
How much did it cost out of curiosity ? My guy isnā€™t that bad yet but at his young he struggles to catch his breath or cool down and we only do very short walks

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
How much did it cost out of curiosity ? My guy isnā€™t that bad yet but at his young he struggles to catch his breath or cool down and we only do very short walks

$1,844 and they sent him home the day of the surgery.
Also forgot to mention I have pet insurance too, they paid 80% of this bill.
Hopefully you have pet insurance?

Cost also depends on where your located.

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

If he is 20 months and canā€™t wait, I would get the surgery done.

You donā€™t want him to suddenly fall over on his side and something serious happen to him.

When my dog needed the surgery and every clinic was a 4 month(yes 4 month wait, and some places were 5 months wait) , I didnā€™t take him for walks cause he would be out of breath and it only being he canā€™t go for a 5 minute walk because he would be out of breath.
I wouldnā€™t let him race around the house cause thatā€™s when he overheated cause he couldnā€™t catch his breath, now after the surgery we waited 4 weeks then let him race around an dog for walk(not all at once but slowly letting him play more).

A clinic got him in sooner, this clinic a board Certified surgeon from the place he was referred to, came to the clinic thatā€™s only 15 minutes from my place, thankfully he only had to wait 3 weeks before the surgery.

If he needs the surgery cause he canā€™t catch his breath then I would recommend getting it done sooner.

OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
If he is 20 months and canā€™t wait, I would get the surgery done.

You donā€™t want him to suddenly fall over on his side and something serious happen to him.

When my dog needed the surgery and every clinic was a 4 month(yes 4 month wait, and some places were 5 months wait) , I didnā€™t take him for walks cause he would be out of breath and it only being he canā€™t go for a 5 minute walk because he would be out of breath.
I wouldnā€™t let him race around the house cause thatā€™s when he overheated cause he couldnā€™t catch his breath, now after the surgery we waited 4 weeks then let him race around an dog for walk(not all at once but slowly letting him play more).

A clinic got him in sooner, this clinic a board Certified surgeon from the place he was referred to, came to the clinic thatā€™s only 15 minutes from my place, thankfully he only had to wait 3 weeks before the surgery.

If he needs the surgery cause he canā€™t catch his breath then I would recommend getting it done sooner.
Thanks

OP
Spanky

Spanky

May 30, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
$1,844 and they sent him home the day of the surgery.
Also forgot to mention I have pet insurance too, they paid 80% of this bill.
Hopefully you have pet insurance?

Cost also depends on where your located.
Nope no insurance thanks ?

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
My guy had the soft palate along with the widening of the nostrils. He was 1 years old and I think we did it with the neutering. Happy i got it done..although I didnā€™t notice his breathing being bad at the time heā€™s now 7 and breaths very well and id like to think itā€™s because I got the surgeries done 6 years ago

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.