So, Buster went to the Vet yesterday

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Since getting Buster on Monday, I have been concerned about his right eye and his ears. He came with meds for both. His eye looked to me like it had a small scar. I went to put his drops in his ears and I couldn't see down in his ears at all and they were very red. Also, he was slightly overdue for his shots so I got him in as soon as I could. The Vet kept him in and he had Entropian surgery, poor boy, but he has no dry eyes and no ulcer! His ears are almost completely closed up. The alternatives are surgery or a two-month course of Prednilosone. He said he rarely does the surgery anymore and has good results with the Prednilosone opening the ears back up. Fingers crossed.

He is a very sweet boy and spends as much time on my knee as he can! He weighs 65lbs but is definitely overweight so I am cutting back on his food slowly. His previous owners fed him at breakfast what I fed Monty all day! I think I have Monty part 2 as Buster doesn't like to go for walks either! He has a skin issue going on as well. It is like he is going bald down his back, SFA, but doesn't look quite the same as what Monty had. I was told to give him Melatonin twice a day and so far, it hasn't made him drowsy at all!

So that's the latest on our new addition!

Sleeping.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He looks like a very sweet boy!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION], for his ears, get 2 cotton balls one for each ear . 2-3 drops of lavender oil n swipe in the ear ABOVE the canal starts. The oil will seep on itā€™s own. It will definitely remove the infection n brown guk. Do it daily. Jake is 66lbs but does have his waist line. There was one photo you posted when you got him, seems Buster has a waistline? Btw what is he eating?

I havenā€™t put him on a diet. Mind you both eat raw...
3990932D-C256-4F23-A18E-2EC34EC77D6C.jpeg

Attachments

• 479F33E5-7F0B-4326-AE41-B1ADE6073859.jpeg
    479F33E5-7F0B-4326-AE41-B1ADE6073859.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 201

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is so handsome....

Loss of fur on back? Might be stress or the food they were feeding

He has a great new caring homeā€” healthy in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He is so handsome....

Loss of fur on back? Might be stress or the food they were feeding

He has a great new caring homeā€” healthy in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, Jake when heā€™s stress Iā€™ll see a hole along his back somewhere. Brought him to my sons house the one with the Pitbulls, his floors are that laminate planks. Jake just freezes there. Couple days later, bald spot somewhere. NuStock!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Poor guy, I can't remember what you are feeding him, but since ear infections can sometimes be from allergies I'd recommend switching to frozen raw and possibly cytopoint injections. I'd also recommend weekly Zymox Otic flushes once he's better. Ear infections can also rarely be from ear mites.

I'm going to paste some info from my vet manual. It says that topical prednisolone is good for allergies and lots of wax.

"glucocorticoids are useful in the chronic management of otic allergies and ceruminous otitis: examples are
HydroB 1020 (hydro-cortisone and aluminium acetate) or Synotic (fluocinolone and DMSO). Topical glucocorticoids
must be administered no more frequently than q 48 h."

Surgical options:

'Once an ear has reached the obstructive or ā€œendā€ stage, with palpable mineralization and complete occlusion of the external
ear canal by hyperplastic tissue, surgical intervention and a total ear canal ablation (TECA) and bulla osteotomy may be
indicated.
In patients with medically resistant otitis externa, lateral ear resection may be useful if the horizontal canal is normal."

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Oh yeah, Jake when heā€™s stress Iā€™ll see a hole along his back somewhere. Brought him to my sons house the one with the Pitbulls, his floors are that laminate planks. Jake just freezes there. Couple days later, bald spot somewhere. NuStock!

I'd be scared with the pitbulls too. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd be scared with the pitbulls too. :)

No his 2 pitties are the sweetest. His GS is a Royal pain in the butt. They all get along. Itā€™s the floor. Jake was born n raised outside. He never walked on wood. Heā€™s ok here but my son has this... I call it, click clack floors. Itā€™s what builders put nowadays. Heā€™s going to remove them all this summer.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww... poor guy!!! I hope he feels better soon :drawheart:

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION], for his ears, get 2 cotton balls one for each ear . 2-3 drops of lavender oil n swipe in the ear ABOVE the canal starts. The oil will seep on itā€™s own. It will definitely remove the infection n brown guk. Do it daily. Jake is 66lbs but does have his waist line. There was one photo you posted when you got him, seems Buster has a waistline? Btw what is he eating?

I havenā€™t put him on a diet. Mind you both eat raw...
View attachment 118727

Thanks. Vet cleaned and treated his ears and will check them again when I get his sutures out

He does have a slight waist but he looks FAT!! You have to dig a bit to feel his ribs. The food he came with is Purina One Smart Blend and I am transitioning him over to Zignature.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor guy, I can't remember what you are feeding him, but since ear infections can sometimes be from allergies I'd recommend switching to frozen raw and possibly cytopoint injections. I'd also recommend weekly Zymox Otic flushes once he's better. Ear infections can also rarely be from ear mites.

I'm going to paste some info from my vet manual. It says that topical prednisolone is good for allergies and lots of wax.

"glucocorticoids are useful in the chronic management of otic allergies and ceruminous otitis: examples are
HydroB 1020 (hydro-cortisone and aluminium acetate) or Synotic (fluocinolone and DMSO). Topical glucocorticoids
must be administered no more frequently than q 48 h."

Surgical options:

'Once an ear has reached the obstructive or ā€œendā€ stage, with palpable mineralization and complete occlusion of the external
ear canal by hyperplastic tissue, surgical intervention and a total ear canal ablation (TECA) and bulla osteotomy may be
indicated.
In patients with medically resistant otitis externa, lateral ear resection may be useful if the horizontal canal is normal."

Thank you [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION]

I only got Buster on Monday so I am transitioning his food over to Zignature. (I usually feed my dogs either Duck or Trout & Salmon) He has been fed Purina One Smart blend apparently.

The vet treated his ears and will check them again when I go back to get his eyelid sutures removed. Buster's notes that accompanied him said he was prone to heavy ear wax and he came with Mometavet. I was shocked when I couldn't see down his ear canal! I always have Zymox on hand but until I get an OK from the vet, I won't treat his ears with anything.

His eyelid looks great and doesn't appear to bother him at all, I am pleased to say.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Buster is one lucky guy, that his circumstances found you!!:clap:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think vets nowadays are requiring you to phone ahead to say you're arriving and wait in car while dog is being treated... Crazy covid times.....

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.