Smelly Butt

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My dogs anal glands are regularly expressed. Her butt hole smells really bad like almost metallic. It is very strong to the point where I can smell it when sitting next to her. I have never smelled this strong with other dogs that I know. I have tried a lot of things. She is on freeze dried raw duck. I have tried decreasing the amount food she eats. I have tried washing her butt hole. I canā€™t seem to understand why her butthole smells sooo bad. I sit next to her on the couch and can smell it. This is not normal. The vet does not seem to know what the issue is. Any ideas?

Jun 13, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
VooDoo and Breezy
Maybe switching her to another raw food to see if it's the duck? You might have to do elimination tests to see if there is anything in her diet that could be causing this change. Hope you find the issue and can fix it. šŸ¤ž

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I would also suggest looking at the tail pocket. A tail pocket infection has kind of a metallic smell to it.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
her tail pocket is fine and clean. we have tried duck and salmon and nothing is changing.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My dogs anal glands are regularly expressed. Her butt hole smells really bad like almost metallic. It is very strong to the point where I can smell it when sitting next to her. I have never smelled this strong with other dogs that I know. I have tried a lot of things. She is on freeze dried raw duck. I have tried decreasing the amount food she eats. I have tried washing her butt hole. I canā€™t seem to understand why her butthole smells sooo bad. I sit next to her on the couch and can smell it. This is not normal. The vet does not seem to know what the issue is. Any ideas?

My dog has the same issue. Itā€™s the Anal glands leaking. The exact same issue with my dog, smells horrible and on the couch I can smell it when he is next to me.

Try giving her Psyllium Husk, or if you feed raw, increase the bone content. That will help with the glands to empty them, instead of her emptying them leaking while she is relaxed on the couch.
If any allergies, get rid of any known allergies to any food.
Maybe try frozen raw, with bone in it.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My dog has the same issue. Itā€™s the Anal glands leaking. The exact same issue with my dog, smells horrible and on the couch I can smell it when he is next to me.

Try giving her Psyllium Husk, or if you feed raw, increase the bone content. That will help with the glands to empty them, instead of her emptying them leaking while she is relaxed on the couch.
If any allergies, get rid of any known allergies to any food.
Maybe try frozen raw, with bone in it.
i wil give the husk a try. how much should i give and what brand is best?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
i wil give the husk a try. how much should i give and what brand is best?

You can get it bulk, my 22 pound Frenchie gets 1/4 tsp daily(my vet gave the amount to give him) and I split the dosage in 1/2 so he gets 1/8tsp with breakfast and dinner.
You can adjust the amount for her weight.

I just buy it at the grocery store in the bulk section(as long as itā€™s 100% just psyllium husk powder) then any brand is good as long as itā€™s that ingredient onlyšŸ™‚

Does she have any allergies???
Allergies are an inflammatory condition that also makes the glands swell so they canā€™t drain/express which can cause this to happen.

Have you tried a frozen raw diet??? Frozen raw diets have bone in it and thatā€™s very helpful to help them empty properly, so they donā€™t leak.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
You can get it bulk, my 22 pound Frenchie gets 1/4 tsp daily(my vet gave the amount to give him) and I split the dosage in 1/2 so he gets 1/8tsp with breakfast and dinner.
You can adjust the amount for her weight.

I just buy it at the grocery store in the bulk section(as long as itā€™s 100% just psyllium husk powder) then any brand is good as long as itā€™s that ingredient onlyšŸ™‚

Does she have any allergies???
Allergies are an inflammatory condition that also makes the glands swell so they canā€™t drain/express which can cause this to happen.

Have you tried a frozen raw diet??? Frozen raw diets have bone in it and thatā€™s very helpful to help them empty properly, so they donā€™t leak.
She has alot of allergies. she is on salmon and duck and a probiotic which she does fine with. frozen raw - i might move to it but it really disgusts me and i hate that it gets all over her face.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
She has alot of allergies. she is on salmon and duck and a probiotic which she does fine with. frozen raw - i might move to it but it really disgusts me and i hate that it gets all over her face.

I still recommend rotating proteins she is not allergic to as that prevents new food allergies from happening.

There is no difference in freeze dried raw than frozen raw other than moisture and bone content. I clean my dogs face after he eats and this is fresh lightly cooked food(still same result with canned foods too, a small amount you might have to wipe off the face). But I would take the feeding frozen raw, than the nasty smell from the anal glands leaking.

Hopefully she improves!
Keep us updated

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreedā€¦ cleaning face with warm paper towel after eating

Members online

No members online now.