slow-bowl alternative

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
A conversation I had with my dad last night, which was based on a conversation with our agility instructor last week got me thinking about posting how we stopped using our slow bowl.

When we got Millie, a slow bowl was seemingly required. She would eat so fast it was scary. So I got a slow bowl because thatā€™s what we did with our previous bulldog.

We eventually gave the slow bowl away. Why? It was a pain to clean, it was plastic, and I was blaming some chin acne on it. Also, while it did slow Millie down, she was still frantically trying to eat from it which made it seem like more of a bandaid for us than a solution.

So I trained Millie to eat slower by hand feeding for a while. This also gave us an opportunity to bond more and learn some tricks. We did this for about a week and she had slowed considerably in that time. Now we still do it from time to time to get in some extra training when time allows.

It has been more than 7 months since she switched to a flat stainless bowl, and this morning she was pausing in-between bites to enjoy her meal.

Millie was 7months or so when we did this. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not for everyone, and probably more difficult to get an adult to change their ways. But hand feeding worked for us to slow food time down permanently

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
A conversation I had with my dad last night, which was based on a conversation with our agility instructor last week got me thinking about posting how we stopped using our slow bowl.

When we got Millie, a slow bowl was seemingly required. She would eat so fast it was scary. So I got a slow bowl because thatā€™s what we did with our previous bulldog.

We eventually gave the slow bowl away. Why? It was a pain to clean, it was plastic, and I was blaming some chin acne on it. Also, while it did slow Millie down, she was still frantically trying to eat from it which made it seem like more of a bandaid for us than a solution.

So I trained Millie to eat slower by hand feeding for a while. This also gave us an opportunity to bond more and learn some tricks. We did this for about a week and she had slowed considerably in that time. Now we still do it from time to time to get in some extra training when time allows.

It has been more than 7 months since she switched to a flat stainless bowl, and this morning she was pausing in-between bites to enjoy her meal.

Millie was 7months or so when we did this. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not for everyone, and probably more difficult to get an adult to change their ways. But hand feeding worked for us to slow food time down permanently

Rusty was eating super fast too, and so was my other dogs, but I found adding a little bit of water to all their food made them really slow down.

for Rusty my French Bulldog, I got him the Enhanced pet bowl made for short nose breeds, it also has a stand to put the dish on, that alone made a difference for how fast Rusty was eating, so we still add a little bit of filtered water to his food(also because he doesnā€™t drink any water thru the day cause his food is high moisture which is good, but the little bit of water added to his food slows him down).

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey

Thanks Benny for sharing this. I do struggle with my boy eating too fast. I have tried so many bowls! I stopped using the slow feed one i had a long time ago because it seemed he couldn't get into it. Recently he had aspiration pn and it's possible it could have been from eating too fast. So, i went and bought another slow feed. It is plastic, and i hate that..
While it does slow him down some, he is still frantic and by the end is gagging sometimes..
I have said it before, i do plan to attempt to create my own slow feed bowl specific for this breed. They are different and the standard ones just don't seem to be the right fit.

I appreciate you sharing this and that it worked for you. I am going to give the hand feeding a try and see how he does.. at the very least it gets a little training in! He is nuts and he needs it!!

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
i wish you great success @thett !

It might take a while, but the dog canā€™t eat too fast if your hand controls ā€œthe valveā€. Hoping he gets the hang of it easily

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
i wish you great success @thett !

It might take a while, but the dog canā€™t eat too fast if your hand controls ā€œthe valveā€. Hoping he gets the hang of it easily
Thank you!! I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to start this afternoon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great post --- excellent information that so many can potentially benefit from

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!! I will let you know how it goes. I'm going to start this afternoon.
Having any luck with the hand feeding?

I have recently learned that you can slow them down completely, just gotta find a food they donā€™t like šŸ¤£

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This is the bowl we switched Pippy to and it did great. One piece stainless...slowed her down just enough to prevent choking.
Slow Feed Bowl

Last edited:

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Having any luck with the hand feeding?

I have recently learned that you can slow them down completely, just gotta find a food they donā€™t like šŸ¤£
Hi Benny and sorry for such a delay. I have been travelling for the last couple weeks for work so I am just getting back into the groove.

I did start Harvey on hand feeding right after this post.. but was only able to do it a few days before i started travelling. You can imagine, it's totally not going to happen when my husband is home and taking care of them.

I plan to start back at it today and should be able to be consistent for a week or so. It definitely slows him down because he doesn't have a choice. But i almost lost a finger the first time! HAHAHAHAHA.....

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
This is the bowl we switched Pippy to and it did great. One piece stainless...slowed her down just enough to prevent choking.
Slow Feed Bowl
You know, I tried this bowl a while back but it was the smaller one.. I think i am going to get it again but get the larger size. He really couldn't get his face into the smaller one. I think after the hand feeding for a bit i may be able to get away with this. We will try :)

OP
benny

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
good luck! Don't forget to count your fingers when finished šŸ¤£

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.