Skin problem

Lj5411

Jan 16, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Girl
I am having problems with my EB having skin problems beginning as a little bump then the hair falls out when you rub it. She does not itch and the patches are as big as 50 cent piece. Old spot have had the hair grow back but new ones show up. I have taken her to at least e vet all have ruled out ringworm, mites and the like. They have given medicated shampoo, antibiotics but not has worked. Can anyone help. By the way I have changed her diet.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I am having problems with my EB having skin problems beginning as a little bump then the hair falls out when you rub it. She does not itch and the patches are as big as 50 cent piece. Old spot have had the hair grow back but new ones show up. I have taken her to at least e vet all have ruled out ringworm, mites and the like. They have given medicated shampoo, antibiotics but not has worked. Can anyone help. By the way I have changed her diet.

What are you feeding her???

It sounds like she has allergies(hives which are the bumps that lose fur around them), my dog had that too from allergies.

Definitely start with diet and then I also recommend adding in Bovine Colostrum(I use the Four Leaf Rover brand of bovine colostrum) and it works wonders, I recommend putting the recommended amount of the bovine colostrum powder to the dish WITHOUT the food, give it by itself and they lick it out if the dish.

Give it 30 minutes BEFORE you feed her breakfast cause itā€™s absorbed best on empty stomach.

Itā€™s really good for allergies, especially environmental allergies. And yes continue bathing at least until she improves.

What are you feeding her?? Brand and protein?

What treats is she getting??

OP
L

Lj5411

Jan 16, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Girl
Thanks for the info. I am feeding her cooked chicken with cooked hamburger and some rice. Making this at home. Could you please tell me where to obtain the bovine colostrum

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thanks for the info. I am feeding her cooked chicken with cooked hamburger and some rice. Making this at home. Could you please tell me where to obtain the bovine colostrum
I would switch her diet.

Rice and chicken are the top allergies.

Rice is pro inflammatory and same with chicken. Beef is usually good but every dog is different.

I would switch her to raw diet cause that and the bovine colostrum has been whatā€™s made the huge difference.

Carbs(rice and sweet potatoes for example)= yeast, allergies and inflammation. Yeast overgrowth is definitely part of allergy issues, so starving the yeast is needed which is no carbs in diet. They have no requirement for carbs anyways.

Some good raw brands in US:
-Primal
-Stella and chewies
-Vital Essentials
-Darwinā€™s raw dog food
-Bella and Duke raw dog food

I would try to have her on the raw diet with Duck OR fish as the protein. Rabbit is also good and so is beef for proteins.

Avoid chicken and grains and carbs if you can.

I would also add in omega 3 oil such as herring oil, green lipped mussel oil, sardine oil, or pollock oil for omega 3 to help with allergies, but definitely the bovine colostrum and the raw diet was what was the most Beneficial for my dogs, their raw diet had fish so i didnā€™t have to add the omega 3.

For the Bovine Colostrum supplement, I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand.

If you google ā€œFour Leaf Rover Bovine Colostrum for dogsā€ it will come up. You order it online unless the local pet store has it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
For Bulldogs, Chicken and Beef are the 2 most problematic proteins with regards to allergy. Can you post a pic of the affected area(s)?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)

The solution for me, for what sounds like the same problem, has been chlorhexidine soaks. I also stopped giving baths, which probably helped; I believe mine were triggered in the first place by baths. I struggled with this problem for months, then did the soaks, and I haven't seen a bump since early July.

A couple of questions:
How old is she?
What was she eating before you switched, and did she have the bumps before the food switch?
Can you think of anything that may have triggered her skin issues? Some examples:
- Heating the house (especially furnace or radiant heat)
- Bath
- Diet change

How to do a chlorhexidine soak:
  1. Start with a dry dog
  2. Mix a gallon of water with an ounce of Chlorhexidine 2% (I'll post a link to amazon at the bottom for example)
  3. AVOID THE HEAD/EYES/EARS: Carefully and slowly add the mixture to the dog's coat, a little at a time so it soaks in.
  4. Wait 5 minutes, give them a massage or something to keep busy
  5. Towel dry the dog (don't rinse)
  6. blow dry the dog on cold setting until completely dry (this takes a long time). make sure any folds are dried out (like tail pockets)
  7. Do this every day for a few days, you should see improvement every day.
  8. If you see a new spot then do a soak. Otherwise just keep the chlorhexidine in a dark place (light destroys it and the amazon gallon is in a clear plastic bottle)
Agree with @Manydogs that NuStock is helpful. Warning about the nustock: it doesn't smell nice. it will certainly help the fur grow back, though.

Chlorhexidine:

Last edited:
OP
L

Lj5411

Jan 16, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Girl
For Bulldogs, Chicken and Beef are the 2 most problematic proteins with regards to allergy. Can you post a pic of the affected area(s)?
IMG_0155.JPGHealed spotIMG_0154.JPGrecently

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I definitely recommend getting him off chicken, and also no rice for sure. That can definitely be Causing this skin issue/allergy.

There is also a Skin Soother balm I use for my dogs too for these skin issues if they are really bad.

I buy the skin soother balm from Natural Dog Company. I worked great for my frenchie when his skin was bad from allergies.

OP
L

Lj5411

Jan 16, 2023
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Girl
Thanks so much to all of you Iā€™ll keep you posted

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My previous bully had same thing. Like @Manydogs mentioned in her post, get NuStock. Clean around the are, mix the tube very well n apply. Hair will grow right back. Itā€™s a ā€œmustā€ to keep in the house. You will need it for other occasions trust meā€¦. My German Shepherd had 7 hotspots cause her leg was wrapped up from elbow to toe. A broken toe. I put NuStock n it all healed.

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
Chicken was the no1 cause with Ralph, we give him cytopiont 30mg once a moth seems to clear up all of his allergies.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.