Skin issues

Macky moo

Apr 29, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
My bulldog Mac is getting really dry skin! It has a white dandruff. But the hair sometimes falls out and his skin with get scanned. I can tell it hurts. What should I do? I feed him simply nourish ,salmon and sweet potato , or Lamb and oatmeal. I donā€™t feed him any chicken because as a baby he would get runny # 2. Also, his nose rope is getting brown goop in it. Almost like a booger! Sorry so gross. I donā€™t know what to do though. Any help????
E96A71E9-708E-4D30-A343-E02C6CE3B085.jpeg

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Wow! He is a good looking bulldog. That sounds like allergies to me. Welcome to EBN!

How often are you bathing him? And what is your rope cleaning regimen like?

There are some very knowledgeable members on this forum that may be able to make suggestions based on the ingredient lists for the foods you are feeding. To help them here they are:

Salmon and Sweet Potato:
Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Dried Peas, Dried Lentils, Pea Starch, Ground Flaxseed, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dl-Methionine, Dried Carrots, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid (Preservatives), Rosemary Extract

Lamb and Oatmeal
Deboned Lamb, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Barley, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Whole Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potassium Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrots, Dried Kale, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), DL-Methionine, Taurine, Citric Acid (A Preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (A Preservative), Rosemary Extract

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would try a different food and see if that helps. I personally stay away from all potatoes. I am also not a fan of peas. You can also add in a probiotic if you aren't already to help the gut.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My bulldog Mac is getting really dry skin! It has a white dandruff. But the hair sometimes falls out and his skin with get scanned. I can tell it hurts. What should I do? I feed him simply nourish ,salmon and sweet potato , or Lamb and oatmeal. I donā€™t feed him any chicken because as a baby he would get runny # 2. Also, his nose rope is getting brown goop in it. Almost like a booger! Sorry so gross. I donā€™t know what to do though. Any help????View attachment 122646

I would try him on raw diet because the kibble has grains and starches like sweet potato and peas. Those just irritate the gut causing yeast and allergies and other health issues.
Definitely sounds like allergies to me, for the fur loss, try some herring oil(I give Thrive herring oil).

Try raw diet but maybe start with Lamb or salmon that way your staying with the same protein he is used to to start.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree.. sounds like allergies. Good probiotic will help, with a high quality foodā€¦ dehydrated raw or straight raw ā€¦ duck, turkey is a good starter

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How often do you bathe him? Beautiful dog!

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
He is beautiful! I agree with others about raw diet and trying other protein and starting probiotic. For dry kibble, I know there are several quality food recommended here (Fromm, Acana to name a few). Personally, my dog has been on Farmina N&D Lamb and blueberry (limited ingredients) and he's been doing pretty good. For vitamin/supplements, he's on Zesty Paws 8-in-1 bites (from Amazon) and seems to be working. For treats, I give my dog small applie slices (no core) and banana chunks (careful not to give too much due to sugar content) or I get "Fruitable" brand Skinny Mini treats (from Amazon). I try to read the ingredients and try to give him food/treats with minimally processed stuff :giggle:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
In both of your feeding thereā€™s too much starch.

Beautiful furball you got there.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you so is yours!! I thought His current kibble has minimal starch so maybe Iā€™ll look at Farmina line with no grain - like lamb blueberry pumpkin. One other user recommended that line as well.

Yes if you were to get Farmina brand the lamb blueberry pumpkin and the other proteins in that line instead of the ancient grains, but my recommendations are in the other reply for the other thread.

But yes if you donā€™t want to switch brands, then yes the pumpkin lamb is good, but there is better food options if your looking to improve the health or improve diet.

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Yes if you were to get Farmina brand the lamb blueberry pumpkin and the other proteins in that line instead of the ancient grains, but my recommendations are in the other reply for the other thread.

But yes if you donā€™t want to switch brands, then yes the pumpkin lamb is good, but there is better food options if your looking to improve the health or improve diet.
I will consider acana or orijen. Thank you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I will consider acana or orijen. Thank you.
Orijen is made by the same company. It rich in calories so careful. Feed less than regular kibble. I think they came out with one thatā€™s zero grains.

Mind you theyā€™re all grain free but heard something is different n I will check it out šŸ‘

Last edited:

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Orijen is made by the same company. It rich in calories so careful. Feed less than regular kibble. I think they came out with one thatā€™s zero grains.

Mind you theyā€™re all grain free but heard something is different n I will check it out šŸ‘

They have grain free, now I am pretty sure itā€™s new formula with grains thatā€™s new but they still have grain free.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They have grain free, now I am pretty sure itā€™s new formula with grains thatā€™s new but they still have grain free.
85-95% animal
15% fruits n veggies

itā€™s even made in USA. usually itā€™s from Canada but they do have a plant in Kentucky.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
85-95% animal
15% fruits n veggies

itā€™s even made in USA. usually itā€™s from Canada but they do have a plant in Kentucky.

Yes I know about the grain free formulas but thought I seen they have new formulas with grains.

I give their treats to my dogs and know people who give their kibble.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.