Skin issues all of the sudden!

Roxysmom

May 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lu
Hello!

Hi all!! This is Gracie Lu! She is an 8 1/2 year old bully and has been super healthy for the most part. She has developed like a rash or something where she is loosing her fur on both sides (2 areas on her side and hip)...same spots. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? Nothing has changed in her diet or environment. Just want to ask here before the never ending carousel at the vet.

Thank you!

65610360813__CEB72C1A-63B6-49C1-80E6-7D3A34D4DF65.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
As previously stated, it's flank alopecia. It's not uncommon in Bulldogs. One of our rescues had it when he came in and it's now completely filled in...took 2 years. I'm thinking it was diet related as that's the only thing that we've changed in his routine care...that, and Dinovite.

OP
R

Roxysmom

May 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lu
OP
R

Roxysmom

May 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lu
As previously stated, it's flank alopecia. It's not uncommon in Bulldogs. One of our rescues had it when he came in and it's now completely filled in...took 2 years. I'm thinking it was diet related as that's the only thing that we've changed in his routine care...that, and Dinovite.
Thank you! I think you are right!

OP
R

Roxysmom

May 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lu
Yup, looks like SFA. As mentioned, some have success with melatonin. I know some also try Vitamin D. I am not sure what food you are feeding, but you could try a diet change as well.
Thank you! She is on Hills Metabolic Diet for weight and has been for years so nothing has changed there. We did stay in Massachusetts all year this year instead of going back to Arizona like we normally do in the winter. That might be what the problem is! She likes to lay in the sun and she didn't really get to do that this winter. Thank you all again!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.