Skin and Coat

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
Hey! I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm a new EB owner. First time dog owner. I've had Kash now since December 2021. He is 4 months old. Vey active little guy. In the last 15-20 days I noticed his fur is dry and he also has red spots on his belly and inner thighs and red bumps on his body. I've stopped all treats. Right now he eats royal canine puppy food with a pump of salmon oil. Since I've had him I was using earth bath oatmeal & aloe shampoo and conditioner once a week. I just switched to furminator deshedding shampoo and conditioner. That does seem to be helping with the shedding and his coat feels fluffy right after but by the next day his fur still seems dry. I rub him down with coconut oil twice a day. He drinks water with a spoon of ACV. He takes Benadryl at least 3 times a week before bed time.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I would go to the vet and see what they say since he is soo young. It could be allergies, atopic dermatitis, bacterial infections, parasites, etc. When my bulldog was young, I was very gung-ho about going to the vet. I went to the vet often for advice and peace of mind. Sometimes I made a big deal out of nothing but for me, peace of mind is priceless.

Skin problems - I stopped feeding my dog starches and carbs(even some veggies are high in carbs) - these things promote yeast which is a huge issue with bulldogs.
I first tried Zignature limited ingredient kangaroo when she was little and she did great on it. Allergies to kangaroo are pretty rare. But my dog's full list of allergies did not arise until she hit about 2 years old. So now she is on Vital Essentials freeze dried raw salmon nibs but it's very expensive at $10 per day. Since he is young, he may need additional supplements to meet the puppy's nutritional needs.

Shampoo - I bathe my dog about once a month maybe not even as bathing a dog too much can actually dry out their skin. I use Malaseb chlorhexidine shampoo which is an antibacterial agent - my vet gave this to me. I always ensure to thoroughly clean her folds/nose rope every day with Mal-A-Ket, an antifungal, antibacterial, and degreasing wipe with acetic acid, ketoconazole and chlorhexidine. These wipes also have a drying agent so you dont need to worry about drying the folds. If you don't use a drying agent, you have to ensure the folds are dry or its a trip to the vet. I also wouldn't use any additional shampoos or deshedders until his skin is under control.

Last edited:
OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
I would go to the vet and see what they say since he is soo young. It could be allergies, atopic dermatitis, bacterial infections, parasites, etc. When my bulldog was young, I was very gung-ho about going to the vet. I went to the vet often for advice and peace of mind. Sometimes I made a big deal out of nothing but for me, peace of mind is priceless.

Skin problems - I stopped feeding my dog starches and carbs(even some veggies are high in carbs) - these things promote yeast which is a huge issue with bulldogs.
I first tried Zignature limited ingredient kangaroo when she was little and she did great on it. Allergies to kangaroo are pretty rare. But my dog's full list of allergies did not arise until she hit about 2 years old. So now she is on Vital Essentials freeze dried raw salmon nibs but it's very expensive at $10 per day. Since he is young, he may need additional supplements to meet the puppy's nutritional needs.

Shampoo - I bathe my dog about once a month maybe not even as bathing a dog too much can actually dry out their skin. I use Malaseb chlorhexidine shampoo which is an antibacterial agent - my vet gave this to me. I always ensure to thoroughly clean her folds/nose rope every day with Mal-A-Ket, an antifungal, antibacterial, and degreasing wipe with acetic acid, ketoconazole and chlorhexidine. These wipes also have a drying agent so you dont need to worry about drying the folds. If you don't use a drying agent, you have to ensure the folds are dry or its a trip to the vet. I also wouldn't use any additional shampoos or deshedders until his skin is under control.
All good tips. Thank you. Iā€™m going to tone down the bathing. I just got some Zignature salmon and trout little bites. Weā€™ll see how that goes. He does have an appointment for the vet for his skin. I think Im also a bit overly concerned. I just want to make sure Iā€™m giving him the best life possible šŸ˜­

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All good tips. Thank you. Iā€™m going to tone down the bathing. I just got some Zignature salmon and trout little bites. Weā€™ll see how that goes. He does have an appointment for the vet for his skin. I think Im also a bit overly concerned. I just want to make sure Iā€™m giving him the best life possible šŸ˜­
Welcome!

Washing A dog too much youā€™re removing itā€™s natural oils. Even washing once a month is too much. Vet might want you to buy their kibbles for skin issues n word of advice, ā€œdonā€™tā€ as it will create more issues. We hear this way too many times in here. Stick to watch you Zignature as itā€™s a good product. Have the vet do a staph test which is common in English n French Bulldogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is he doing ? agree.. with too much washing, my guys are indoor dogs only out for walks and potty breaks so they get a bath twice a year. Yes, year.

I feed raw, but Zingnature is a very good food, if the salmon doesnā€™t work, try the limited ingredient duck

OP
kajol7

kajol7

Feb 11, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kash
How is he doing ? agree.. with too much washing, my guys are indoor dogs only out for walks and potty breaks so they get a bath twice a year. Yes, year.

I feed raw, but Zingnature is a very good food, if the salmon doesnā€™t work, try the limited ingredient duck
A little update. His skin and coat both seem to be improving. Not sure if its the food or cutting back on the bathing. Either way we are going to stick with this new routine. The only complaint I have is the smell of the new food šŸ˜·

But thats easy to overlook for the health of my little guy lol

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Glad to hear he is doing better. Just to add on the bathing. I have had Buster for two years now and he has had one bath! He does not smell and his coat is good. He does have some "male-pattern baldness" on his back but he came with it and has had it most of his life apparently (he is 8 now).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Some shampoos donā€™t dry out their coats as much as others. I used to have to bathe my Frenchie every week in a chlorhexidine shampoo due to allergies and his coat was fine.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff

Can you post a picture of the mail-a-ket wipes you use ?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.