Sickness and constipation

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
So on Sunday Ronnie decided to start eating grass something he has never done before. On Monday he wasn't quite right wouldn't leave my side and was pacing about. On Tuesday he was sick 3 times randomly but Sstill acting himself yesterday again he was sick 3 times but still playful and wanting to eat and drink. Today woke up to another pool of vomit through the night and decided it was time to see the vet because yesterday and today he has also hardly pood and when he does it's coming out like tiny pellets. The Vet has given an anti sickness jag and ranitidine for acid reflux and said everything seems okay. He has only pood twice today and has been dry retching the whole day. We have to go back to the vet tomorow for another check up. Anyone have any ideas? We've had no food change and from what I can see hasn't ingested anything he shouldn't have

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Did the vet do x-rays for blockages?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
Thanks for replys he's still wanting to eat his good so giving him little and often. The Vet hasn't done x Rays that may be a possibility today

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
Just an update. He's been taken in for x Rays will update later

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just an update. He's been taken in for x Rays will update later

Castor sends his best wishes for Ronnie. We'll check here for updates and hope your boy will soon be fine.

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
Hey guys quick update Ronnie has a hernia. We've to trial anti reflux meds for a month and see how he goes

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
What Vet doesn't immediately take X-rays for the symptoms you've described? Pooping pellets, vomiting, pacing? WTH?! If he does, in fact, have a hernia and that hernia is causing his symptoms, then his intestine is being affected, BLOCKED! Please see a different Vet.
No amount of H2 receptor blockers will remedy a hernia. He needs surgery to fix it. If the intestine protrudes far enough through the hernia its blood supply can be cut off (and the affected area will die)or it could possibly rupture. Either is a grave scenario.

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
His poo is back to normal today x Rays have came back normal. They want to see him back obv if their is no improvements on the reflux meds. Just to watch him carefully and to feed him 3x a day instead of 2

- - - Updated - - -

I meant x rays have shown no blockage

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Originally you said hernia, I assume you meant hiatus hernia with acid reflux. I think oscarmayer was thinking of an inguinal or umbilical hernia where you can get that strangulation of the bowel if it goes through the sac holding the bowel in place. For hiatus hernia one commonly treats initially with smaller more frequent low fat meals, and an H2 blocker like famotidine or proton pump inhibitor like nexium. If it persists there is increased risk of aspiration pneumonia and surgery can correct it.

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
Yes sorry hiatus hernia. Yeah they didn't want to rush him I to surgery just yet as he's already been through aspiration pneumonia after a choking incident last September. So it's a watch and wait game at the minute

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Originally you said hernia, I assume you meant hiatus hernia with acid reflux. I think oscarmayer was thinking of an inguinal or umbilical hernia where you can get that strangulation of the bowel if it goes through the sac holding the bowel in place. For hiatus hernia one commonly treats initially with smaller more frequent low fat meals, and an H2 blocker like famotidine or proton pump inhibitor like nexium. If it persists there is increased risk of aspiration pneumonia and surgery can correct it.
Oh yeah...big difference.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes sorry hiatus hernia. Yeah they didn't want to rush him I to surgery just yet as he's already been through aspiration pneumonia after a choking incident last September. So it's a watch and wait game at the minute

What do you feed your dog?

OP
K

Kellylowe31

Oct 28, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
He has severe allergies so we feed him akela and his skin is quite good so far on it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has severe allergies so we feed him akela and his skin is quite good so far on it

So good to hear the problem is identified... keep us posted and we are hoping he heals up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.