Sick Puppy

CharliesHuman

Sep 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Hey all-

This is more for comfort than anything. We got Charlie from the breeder the day after she turned 8 weeks. She has been the most intelligent, easy, fun, silly puppy we’ve ever had. At 13 weeks, she got her second set of puppy shots and within two weeks was almost bald from neck to toes. She was diagnosed with Demodex and immediately started treatment. She turned 6 months on Saturday and finally got a clean bill of health from the derm vet last week. She has continued to be on antibiotics for a secondary staph infection she got while recovering from the mange. This poor puppy has been through the ringer. She didn’t sleep at all last night and this morning woke up with terrible green discharge from her nose and wouldn’t touch her food. Rushed her to the vet and now she’s getting X-rays, bloodwork, and IVs. They think she has pneumonia but are waiting on XRay results to confirm. When I tell you that Charlie is our baby, it is an understatement. We basically live to provide for her. I just want to know it gets better from here. This poor pup deserves a break. Not to mention, her human is on the brink of a mental breakdown.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One big cause of your problems is that your baby was taken away from the mother much too young! She should have been at least 12 weeks before being seperated. Her immune system was not developed enough. All this is the "breeders" fault. Should have known better. We all know how you feel, as our dogs are our babies,too.The green discharge is certainly not a good sign.
The type of food you feed is important, and a probiotic. If your veterinarian is not knowledgeable about bulldogs, once she is well, you need to find one. Sending prayers for your baby and you. @helsonwheels can help with what you need to put in her vaporizer at home.

OP
C

CharliesHuman

Sep 28, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
One big cause of your problems is that your baby was taken away from the mother much too young! She should have been at least 12 weeks before being seperated. Her immune system was not developed enough. All this is the "breeders" fault. Should have known better. We all know how you feel, as our dogs are our babies,too.The green discharge is certainly not a good sign.
The type of food you feed is important, and a probiotic. If your veterinarian is not knowledgeable about bulldogs, once she is well, you need to find one. Sending prayers for your baby and you. @helsonwheels can help with what you need to put in her vaporizer at home.
So much has come to light about her breeder. We have reported him to the AKC and they are investigating. We love her derm vet who specializes in Bulldogs. He has her on a special diet with supplements and probiotics. She improved dramatically with those changes about 6 weeks ago. We have been searching for a vet with bulldog knowledge but most are not accepting new clients. For now, we are on two waiting lists. Thank you for your reply.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Build up her immune system, raw goats milk or refrigerated sauerkraut…. Use a humidifie next to where she sleeps or do hot showers with door closed and her on the floor. All that will help break up the mucus and clear her lungs

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like @Manydogs mentioned get A diffuser going. I have one on every single day. In a diffuser that holds a cup of water, start with…. 5 drops of each…Eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender n 3drops of tea tree. Put the diffuser where your dogs sleep. There’s a thread in this forum call Essential Oils. Great recipes for diffusers. Do NOT add oils or change recipes as oils are not for all dogs nor cats. I rather you ask me :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So much has come to light about her breeder. We have reported him to the AKC and they are investigating. We love her derm vet who specializes in Bulldogs. He has her on a special diet with supplements and probiotics. She improved dramatically with those changes about 6 weeks ago. We have been searching for a vet with bulldog knowledge but most are not accepting new clients. For now, we are on two waiting lists. Thank you for your reply.
How is your baby doing

Members online

No members online now.