Should we neuter or not?

Grozzur

Oct 29, 2021
California, USA
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Tried searching the forums and FAQs first hopefully I didn't miss this topic. This is our new nearly 6 month old male EBD, Kingston and we are trying to decide if we should get him fixed or not. He is our second EBD. Our first a female, we had for near 13 years, never had her fixed and she was pretty healthy over that time considering the amount of medical issues bulldogs generally have. So our general feeling is getting them fixed is not really necessary. Our new little guy, is a tricolor lilac not that the color is important only that I was told by a vet that this color is genetically predisposed to more medical issues. Not sure how true that is only that is what I was told by a vet who is known to specialize in Bulldogs. Anyway we are not sure we would breed our new dog and we want to do what is best for his health. Is there a significant health benefit to neutering a English Bulldog? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Tri-colored bulldogs aren't accepted colors in the AKC/CKC, and some designer bulldogs may have undesirable genetic traits. Unfortunately some breeders who are well aware of these issues will breed regardless of this, and charge over the top prices for these babies. Neutering IMO is a personal choice, we did for our male because he became aggressive to the males in our house. If you don't plan to breed him, then neutering may be a good option... we waited till Walter was over 2 years old.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This can be a hot topic so I'm going to emphasize - this is just my opinion as a dog parent for decades.

I only neutered my dogs when I can't 100% guarantee that my intact dog will not have unplanned babies. So, throughout all my life, I've only had 1 spayed dog and that's because she came to me as a 3-year-old rescue and she was already spayed.

Intact dogs come with added responsibilities. For example, I can't risk ANY chance of my dog running off, breaking through the fence, coming in accidental contact with other dogs, etc. They're usually not allowed unleashed in public dog parks. Also, intact dogs will have behavioral conditions that comes with natural hormones that will need to be addressed with training, etc. etc.

So why didn't I just neuter/spay my dogs to make it a lot easier on me? Well - I am into this natural holistic philosophy that I don't make medical solutions for me and my pets for non-medical reasons. But that's just me.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As stated, these rare colors are not AKC recognized colors and are predisposed to health issues. I personally would not breed him because is not of the standard. I also believe in neutering/spaying if not breeding or showing.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When we got Monty, he was intact. He was constantly marking in the house, then my other dog (neutered) decided to cover his marks. Not nice. We had Monty neutered and it solved the problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great insight and advice givenā€¦ agree with the gang.

Zue10

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
My boy is four years (chocolate tri) old and he is intact. He havenā€™t showed any behavior issues. He is healthy. You can find a veterinarian who specializes in vasectomy surgery. My veterinarian recommended that surgery instead of neutering my boy. All I can recommend is do the research, no one knows your baby better than you.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
Iā€™ve got a lilac tri coming up to 11 months and Im having same question. My reason for considering fixing him is due to his constant attempts to hump my leg or my mums leg. Heā€™s a bloody pest at times. Im hoping if he gets the snip it will reduce his testosterone levels and put a stop to it. Ive tried everything to stop it but no stern ā€œ no , bad , naughty , offā€ he will still try it on

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Tried searching the forums and FAQs first hopefully I didn't miss this topic. This is our new nearly 6 month old male EBD, Kingston and we are trying to decide if we should get him fixed or not. He is our second EBD. Our first a female, we had for near 13 years, never had her fixed and she was pretty healthy over that time considering the amount of medical issues bulldogs generally have. So our general feeling is getting them fixed is not really necessary. Our new little guy, is a tricolor lilac not that the color is important only that I was told by a vet that this color is genetically predisposed to more medical issues. Not sure how true that is only that is what I was told by a vet who is known to specialize in Bulldogs. Anyway we are not sure we would breed our new dog and we want to do what is best for his health. Is there a significant health benefit to neutering a English Bulldog? Any thoughts or suggestions?

View attachment 122356View attachment 122354View attachment 122355
My Jake n the previous one I had both have/had a vasectomy as @Zue10 just mentioned. I basically wanted them to grow with their hormones and all like if they were intact. Itā€™s a personal decision n like most knows me in here Iā€™m on the holistic side. Not all vets do this either. Also, Jake isnā€™t vicious either with other dogs. He does butt heads with my sonā€™s German Shepherd whom both are same age. Intact or not, colour or not, dogs will butt heads. Theyā€™re dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.