Should my puppy be clean and care for at the vets ?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I have been posting a lot here lately. ( sorry) I have a sick 5 month old ebd and when I went to see him yesterday he smelled like a dog in the streets that wasn't cared for and while playing with him in one of the exam rooms he kept pushing his ears or head against my hand as if to say itch my ears.. I clean his ears at least twice a week with Epi octic to keep them clean and I have only bathed him twice but Buddy never smells. Not like he did yesterday. I am wondering shouldn't he be CLEAN and maintained at the vet or am I looking to blame because I am sooo upset. I am seriously thinking about paying this B#$*@ her $1100 or whatever I already owe her and bringing my baby to another vet. I brought him in there on Monday because all day Sunday he had diariha. Then Sunday night he vomited and had diariaha again. Monday morning he wouldnt eat and at that point I knew something was wrong. My puppy LOVES to eat. While there on Monday after doing a fecal test she came back in the room after about 20 mins and said Buddy has Giardia and has been on IV flagl every since as well as fluids to hydrate him then yesterday she called me after we got home from visiting him and said his test for Parvo was positive. WTF ? Does he have parvo or Giardia? He came from the breeder at 9 and a half weeks with all his vacanations listed on paper work He has had all his boosters and rabies. I kept him indoor for a MONTH using the porch in my condo as a place to go potty. just to avoid anything like this as I had read horror stories about people whos animals got sick like this. Now I am wondering what to do? Thanks everyone. Hero

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
He could have both giardia and parvo, in which case he really needs the vet.

Any chance the "smell" was just the area in general? Places that hold large amounts of animals usually take on an odor just because of the number of dogs that come through, and the animal-safe cleaning solutions they use. However, I would be a little concerned based on what you described.

Maybe you should ask the vet directly about his day-to-day care as opposed to just his treatment. Is there anyway you can bring him in for treatment but let him sleep at home? The vet probably has your dog kenneled, so maybe he's afraid...He could be going in the kennel and when they clean it up they don't realize he rolled in it...just a thought. Does he have a blanket or something from home with him?

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
He could have both giardia and parvo, in which case he really needs the vet.

Any chance the "smell" was just the area in general? Places that hold large amounts of animals usually take on an odor just because of the number of dogs that come through, and the animal-safe cleaning solutions they use. However, I would be a little concerned based on what you described.

Maybe you should ask the vet directly about his day-to-day care as opposed to just his treatment. Is there anyway you can bring him in for treatment but let him sleep at home? The vet probably has your dog kenneled, so maybe he's afraid...He could be going in the kennel and when they clean it up they don't realize he rolled in it...just a thought. Does he have a blanket or something from home with him?

Every blanket I ever put in his crate he didn't like and ends up sleeping on the cool floor of his crate. The smell is like an old dog or a wet dog. Not poop and his ears !! poor baby. I know these are the least of my worries but at the same time he should be kept clean.. JMO ( just my opinion) Anyways Thanks

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I just called the tech and she said Buddy is much much better. He couldnt stop wiggling his little butt this morning and he ate about a third of a can of canned food. ( Why canned? ) I would have offered him some cheese or liverworst but what do I know) Anyways it seems Buddy is out of the woods. ( I am praying) I had to take 4 benedrlys to sleep last night. Thanks everyone. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] you are such a great bully parent and a worry wart like me! Buddy is going to do well just so he can get home to you. Have you found another vet in your area you can take him to?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Here's to Buddy & his quick recovery......:cheers:

Once he's home, just give him a good Oatmeal shampoo scrubbing and he'll be good as new.! :2thumbs:

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks you guys. I will be going to see him this afternoon. I am going ask them if its ok to bring him some string cheese and liverwurst and see if it eats that. Yesterday I brought him his favorite toy. Its a squeeky rubber pig . Anyways Thanks Hero

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I have found another vet yes. I am just a bit fearful to ask this woman anything. She seems to get resentful anytime I question her about anything. I want Buddy home and safe and after that is acomplished I will be visiting 2 vets to speak with them and then choose one and have his medical records transfered there. Thanks Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Welp, yes - if she gets resentful then it's definitely time to find another vet! You're doing all the right things!

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Elearn. I got this woman's ( vet) name from a breeder from the Bulldog club of America website This breeder has numorous vets listed in Florida and I speak wit her via e mail. She supposadly met this woman ( vet) at a dog show. My vet is a breeder of french bulldogs and has merit plaques on her walls for Merit breeder or something as well as ribbions from shows where her dog or dogs have won ribbons but anytime I relate something to her I read online or from a breeder regarding ebd's she immeditaly changes her attitude and doesn't want to listen to me. I had mentioned to her about grain free diets and she shrugged her shoulders and said its a load of crap. She has Royal canine in her place ( sells it) although I asked her tech yesterday what she feed's her frenchies and the tech told me Fromm's so. You know we all never stop learning. I learn things everyday sometimes from all kinds of people and when I shut myself off to this type of thinking I am just being ignorant. One of the main reasons I am shopping new vets. Thanks Hero

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] how is he doing today?

Normally the vet techs do not bathe or wash the pups while in the hospital, but you can ask for him to be cared for while there... ears and tail pocket if he has one.

DEFINITELY get a new vet.... her attitude toward you alone, tells me she is not worthy of your baby being there or your hard earned money!

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I spoke with a new vet a few hours ago. Once Buddy is home and safe I am going to call them ( current vet) and ask, because of the distance- if they would please fax his records to the new vet. My only concern is that there are 4 vets there. The man I spoke with seemed vey nice. helpful and knowledgable and I was recomended by several people. One who is involved with Bullie rescues. The vet where Buddy is now closed at 1pm today and on Saturdays. I did speak with a tech this morning at 830 am and she did say Buddy was feeling much better. less diariha and even ate a third of a can of dog food but I didnt know they closed at 1pm today, I sure wish I was notified or the vet called me to give me an update. Thanks Hero

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] How is Buddy doing now?

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
He is back to his normal / playfull self. He still is on po flagyl I think there are 4 or 5 pills left in the bottle. One in the morning and one at night. You know this puppy was vaccanated 5 times for parvo. a few times for bordatella. lepto the 5 way I think it is called and he still got parvo.. When he arrived he was 9 and a half weeks old and because of many people urging me to keep him away from other dogs I had him porch trained with newspaper to use our porch to go potty until he over 12 weeks old then I began to bring him outdoors where I live. Many people here ( I live in a condo) MOST have rescues and a large park like area outback.. Well Buddy is always smelling the grass and I think he got it from some old dog stool somewhere. People are SUPPOSED to pick up after their dogs but on ocassion people are either LAZY or something. I still get upset thinking about how I could have lost Buddy because someone here doesnt vaccanate their dog or someone was too lazy to pick up after their dog but to answer your question. Buddy is doing great.. Thanks LariP

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.