Separation Anxiety

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
We are retired. We have been with Ollie 24/7 since the day he came to live with us. He is very seldom alone. As a matter of fact, almost never. He sleeps in the bed with us. He pretty much has to be in skin to skin contact with one of us, mostly me. If I sit on the sofa, he has to sit next to me touching me or in back of me up against me, touching me when heā€™s sleeping. In bed, he has to be touching my husband. He will often push his heavy head into us as hard as he can and just sit there like that like that breathing on us.
If we are not here, my daughter and son in law who live with us are here. I have come to realize that the only times Ollie chews are the times when he thinks heā€™s alone, ie when we go outside and close him in the house by mistake, when we are in the pool (heā€™s petrified of the pool) Etc.
Now that heā€™s 8 months old we have tried leaving him alone when we are gone for just a little bit of time (30 minutes or less) rather than crating him. Itā€™s not working. Last week he unboxed a set of dvds, ate the box, but evidently didnā€™t have enough time to chew up the plastic box that contained the set of dvds. Yesterday we left for exactly 23 minutes. He ate my cookbook and as I didnā€™t discover until just now, a tote bag that was in a living room chair.
I know what the simple answer here is...heā€™s not ready to be uncreated when alone. I get that. But, on April 15th we are leaving to go out of the country for six weeks. My daughter and SIL will be here with him. They will sleep in our room with Ollie. There are also 2 other dogs here at all times so Ollie is never truly alone. Those dogs will sleep with them too so it will be 3 dog night in the master bedroom. SIL works full time, daughter works part time. There will be times that Ollie has to be crated. The bigger issue here, to me at least, is that Ollie seems like the only child of older parents who maybe isnā€™t maturing as he should. Maybe heā€™s too people oriented. He does have playtime with 4 month old bully Bigly, when Ollie gets to be the ā€œbig boyā€ but for all other intents and purposes, heā€™s the baby here. I worry how he will be when weā€™re gone all that time. Iā€™ve never believed that you spoil a child/dog by loving them too much, but rather by not helping/teaching them to grow and mature to independence. I donā€™t know how to help Ollie to do this. Heā€™s more like a perpetual toddler. Thoughts?

77324ff0dc4c0cbae14393713f316b14.jpg

bb1217934f04a829e080a765099b2879.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As you know English Bulldogs are the most human dependent dogs of all breeds(in their mind-they ARE human) . They become "spoiled" much easier than other breeds(I have found...)and they do not forget!Doing something once-they remember! We do not even realize that this is happening! I have crated mine, when I left the home, it seems, until they were two years old(all are different)-and could be trusted. Then they were left out,a short periods of time, until I found they could be trusted. I also made sure that there was nothing dangerous, or precious, that they could get into. I am sure that my home was much more "dog friendly" as it is just me and the dogs. I think the only way you are going to protect Ollie, and your belongings, is to crate him when you are not with him.Perhaps eventually, he will get out of the habit of chewing. Some always have to be crated, some have their own "safe room". I actually had my back porch closed in w/heat and air for them, but wound up never having to use it because they are fine(all 5) now, when I leave. I am never away for more that 5/6 hours, because I am the only one they have. It may hurt to have Ollie in a crate, when no one is home, but you can not supervise, when no one is there. The longer he is able to do damage(large or small) the more he will develop the bad habit. Perhaps someone has a better solution, but this has always been mine.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
As you know English Bulldogs are the most human dependent dogs of all breeds(in their mind-they ARE human) . They become "spoiled" much easier than other breeds(I have found...)and they do not forget!Doing something once-they remember! We do not even realize that this is happening! I have crated mine, when I left the home, it seems, until they were two years old(all are different)-and could be trusted. Then they were left out,a short periods of time, until I found they could be trusted. I also made sure that there was nothing dangerous, or precious, that they could get into. I am sure that my home was much more "dog friendly" as it is just me and the dogs. I think the only way you are going to protect Ollie, and your belongings, is to crate him when you are not with him.Perhaps eventually, he will get out of the habit of chewing. Some always have to be crated, some have their own "safe room". I actually had my back porch closed in w/heat and air for them, but wound up never having to use it because they are fine(all 5) now, when I leave. I am never away for more that 5/6 hours, because I am the only one they have. It may hurt to have Ollie in a crate, when no one is home, but you can not supervise, when no one is there. The longer he is able to do damage(large or small) the more he will develop the bad habit. Perhaps someone has a better solution, but this has always been mine.

I always take you advice very seriously and appreciate your friendship.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you, and I yours. I am honored (seriously) that you would say that.:)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I started transitioning Joey out of the crate at 7 months. I live in a neighborhood that the road is circular. I have a full glass storm door so that Joey can sit there and see me walk down the road. That is how we started. I will leave say "be a good girl, I will be right back" Let her watch me go to the end of the road and back, walked back into the house, past her and not making a big deal out of it, just matter of fact like. We did this multiple times a day for a few weeks. Then started to walk the entire circle so that I was out of her sight, same routine, same words when I left and same "no big deal" attitude when I returned. This went on for a few more weeks and then we started short trips ALWAYS USING THE PET CAMERA though to see what she was doing (doors to all rooms closed) She always went to the same chair (now her chair) that she could easily watch for my return. This worked, crate went away before she was a year old and we've survived. It took a ton of time but really, really paid off.

Hope this helps :)

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I started transitioning Joey out of the crate at 7 months. I live in a neighborhood that the road is circular. I have a full glass storm door so that Joey can sit there and see me walk down the road. That is how we started. I will leave say "be a good girl, I will be right back" Let her watch me go to the end of the road and back, walked back into the house, past her and not making a big deal out of it, just matter of fact like. We did this multiple times a day for a few weeks. Then started to walk the entire circle so that I was out of her sight, same routine, same words when I left and same "no big deal" attitude when I returned. This went on for a few more weeks and then we started short trips ALWAYS USING THE PET CAMERA though to see what she was doing (doors to all rooms closed) She always went to the same chair (now her chair) that she could easily watch for my return. This worked, crate went away before she was a year old and we've survived. It took a ton of time but really, really paid off.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you. Another bulldog friendship I value. This is such a good cyberneighbourhood.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thank you. Another bulldog friendship I value. This is such a good cyberneighbourhood.

SAME!!!! I took the advice that I got from several members here at the time Joey was 7 months (Joey will be 3 May 31st) and I put them together and used a bit of each and it worked. You're a WONDERFUL bully Mom, I know you will figure out the best way and HIS MAJESTY will be a great student I am sure :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
What if you build for him a space of a decent size (I cannot imagine crating dogs) somewhere in the house? Or may be you have a spare bedroom? Letā€™s say space could be 10 feet by 10? And start teaching him to stay there during the day, first when you are home, then for an hour while you go to Walmart etc. Donā€™t underestimate dogs neuroplasticity, they can learn at any age, and they enjoy learning. And he is still very young.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is 1 years old and I would not trust him to have free range. Jax used to have free range and that didn't happen until he was probably 3 years old or so. Now they both get crated when no one is home. I trust Jax but with having IVDD, I don't want him jumping around when no one is home in case something were to happen. I honestly don't know if I will ever trust Louie to have free range and I probably wouldn't leave the both of them together with free range in case they were to get into a fight.

If you don't want to crate, is there a portion of the kitchen or somewhere that you can block off? Before Jax had free range, he used to get confined to the kitchen so he had plenty of room to move around.

If want to continue giving Ollie free range, it sounds like you might have to make sure the house is puppy proofed and that there is nothing in reach for him to chew on. He's still young so he can definitely outgrow the need to chew on stuff.

Good luck!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You say that he sleeps in your bed but I'm thinking that you have been allowed to sleep in HIS bed. God forbid he ever catches you misbehaving and has to punish you. How will he react having to share his bed with the other 2 dogs? What happens when he sprains a leg(or has surgery) and Vet recommends 1 week of crate rest? Have you tried crating him overnight before? Food for thought.

I'm a firm believer in crating dogs...it's their safe place...safe for them and safe for one's belongings. I recommend beginning to transition him to more time in his crate. Start with short periods of time and gradually increase the time and frequency. He should adapt...question is, will YOU adapt? :)

I hope your trip is the best ever!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy!!! I've been stressing sooooooooo bad over my need to be gone for 6 days :( so i hope you are not like me with that! So, im wondering if you have a hallway that you can fence off? My house is fairly small but i have a nice hallway that i can either close off with doors, or gates. I have a gate on my bedroom, one into the front room, and one into the kitchen each that can close off to make a real nice special room for the boy when needed. Just to get him used to it, i would occasionally put him in there, sit in my recliner where at first he 'could' see me, then eventually turn it around so he couldnt. This dog of mine is a great adapter and even though i was with him strait for his first 6 months of joining me, he seemed to be real comfortable with doing things this way. Best to start asap to make it more comfortable for all :)

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
You say that he sleeps in your bed but I'm thinking that you have been allowed to sleep in HIS bed. God forbid he ever catches you misbehaving and has to punish you. How will he react having to share his bed with the other 2 dogs? What happens when he sprains a leg(or has surgery) and Vet recommends 1 week of crate rest? Have you tried crating him overnight before? Food for thought.

I'm a firm believer in crating dogs...it's their safe place...safe for them and safe for one's belongings. I recommend beginning to transition him to more time in his crate. Start with short periods of time and gradually increase the time and frequency. He should adapt...question is, will YOU adapt? [emoji4]

I hope your trip is the best ever!

I am going to start doing this. He has a huge crate in our bedroom and he goes in it fairly willingly (with treat). I was just thinking that I am damned tired of looking at that crate and that heā€™s heading towards a year so should be able to spend a short time uncrated without us here. Evidently not. Of all the dogs Iā€™ve ever had, the two bullies have seemed the slowest to mature. Yes, he is babied and coddled. Heā€™s a very gentle sweet boy. Iā€™ll do the right thing, but I still need us sleeping in his bed...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have him babysat by others for an hour or so away from your house. Start slowly, get him in his own bed and sleep with your other dogs etc. independence is what he needs to learn. I sometimes leave both of mine at one of my sonā€™s and I leave or I babysit their dogs n leave then outside (not winter). Just a thought.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.