Seeking Advice...Diet/Soft & Watery Stools

tkrennrich

Sep 16, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffin
Good day All!

Griffin, our English Bulldog will turn 5 years on December 20th. Approximatley the last 4 years, he has been eating Purina ProPlan Sport 30/20 and was doing very well. In April of 2020 we moved from Chicago to Nashville, the first 6-8 months he continued doing very well. His stools have been very inconsistant the last 6 months, even more so the last 3. We took him to the vet, they completed a fecal exam, chemistry & electrolytes, full blood count, intestinal parasite exam. Everrything came back normal, with the exception his protein levels were on the low side. The vet said protein usally doent affect the stool. We thought he may have run his course with the ProPlan, so we transitioned him slowly to Open Farm, Wild Caught Salmon & Ancient Grains Recipe. At first, things started to return to normal, recently he has been going backwards to soft/watery stools again. The only time the stool firms up is when we give him Endosorb, otherwise they remain soft/watery. Griffin is active as he always has been, sleeps like normal and is as playful and alert as always. His stools is the only issue he is having. I am wondering if we should transition to another food? If yes, how long should we give the transition? Is the warmer Nashville client starting to affect his digestive system? Should we be asking the vet to look for something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Be well & have a fine day!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Are you giving a daily probiotic? My girl eats the Open Farm with ancient grains and does very well on it. She’ll be 2 in November and I just had to cut down on the amount she was getting. She had been getting 2 cups a day and just a couple weeks ago her poop was getting a little soft. I cut back a little and now she’s back to normal.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

OP
tkrennrich

tkrennrich

Sep 16, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffin
Are you giving a daily probiotic? My girl eats the Open Farm with ancient grains and does very well on it. She’ll be 2 in November and I just had to cut down on the amount she was getting. She had been getting 2 cups a day and just a couple weeks ago her poop was getting a little soft. I cut back a little and now she’s back to normal.
He is not getting any probiotics, just the food. He even gets his kibbles as a treat, so he gets nothing but the Open Farm. Thank you!

OP
tkrennrich

tkrennrich

Sep 16, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffin
Wish you and your Bully's all the best, thank you for the note!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Citty… cut back amount you are feeding, just a little, to se if it helps. You can also try adding some pure pumpkin